Flash of Desktop

Win7 64 6GB RAM GTX 580

Nvidia 285.38 drivers

Running Full screen 1680 x 1200

update your drivers....also get the EVGA precision tools and manually control your GPU fan speed. set it to 50% to %70.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

MSI Afterburner flashed, too..

Using yesterday's DCS update, I noticed MSI Afterburner's application (when open on the desktop showing GPU temp graphs) bled through in flashes every few seconds. By minimizing the app, I eliminated the flashing. But before I did so, I noted something. Maybe it's just me, but with a pair of 570's in SLI, both of my GPUs were getting a workout. I had heard DCS wasn't going to be able to use them both, so I'm a bit surprised.

Upgrading Flight Sim computers since the Apple ][.

Using yesterday's DCS update, I noticed MSI Afterburner's application (when open on the desktop showing GPU temp graphs) bled through in flashes every few seconds. By minimizing the app, I eliminated the flashing. But before I did so, I noted something. Maybe it's just me, but with a pair of 570's in SLI, both of my GPUs were getting a workout. I had heard DCS wasn't going to be able to use them both, so I'm a bit surprised.

SLI is a mixed bag. For some it works for others not so good. Depends a lot on drivers, game settings and Nvidia profiler settings. It's good for keeping framerates up on multimonitor setups and big highres screens and/or max graphics settings with 16x + AA. If you are just using 1920 x 1080 or less SLI is a total waste for DCS series as the CPU can't feed the cards fast enough.

Edit: as to the OP disabling Aero in the game may help or doing a quick alt-tab helps too. As suggested get your drivers updated to the latest...

Edited by Slayer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

SLI is a mixed bag. For some it works for others not so good. Depends a lot on drivers, game settings and Nvidia profiler settings. It's good for keeping framerates up on multimonitor setups and big highres screens and/or max graphics settings with 16x + AA. If you are just using 1920 x 1080 or less SLI is a total waste for DCS series as the CPU can't feed the cards fast enough.

Using nvidia Inspector's tweaking of DCS-World's highest pre-set graphics settings possible using current Nvidia drivers, this test was on a 55" LED @1920*1080p at the maximum level on every variable I thought I understood. Pleasantly shocked by great visual quality and high frame rates.

And video cards didn't sound like a B-52 on take-off.

Afterburner' logging of GPU loading and temperatures showed an even load distribution for single screen SLI, without cranking the heat up on famously HOT video cards and fan noise. Throughput is no more a bottleneck for me than others; I'm running a 980x @ 4.2.

Still am curious about the flashing, though.

Flashing continues on latest update downloaded on 10/13/2012

Edited by SinCityJet
Update

Upgrading Flight Sim computers since the Apple ][.

• 1 month later...

For me, this flashing occurs when loading the flight. Usually, if I see desktop flashes, this means the mouse doesn't work in DCS either, and I am forced to switch windows (alt+tab), and then click on the DCS World running program to maximise it again. After that, the mouse works AND no more desktop flashes.

It would appear that DCS World application, when it loads, does not go 'to the front' of the desktop completely. It does maximise so that you only see the program (and not the taskbar, for instance), but sometimes if I move the mouse down to the bottom part of the screen, the cursor changes shape to the vertical 2-arrow cursor, as if I pointet the cursor over the edge of the Taskbar and the mouse would let me resize it.

Basically, DCS World does not go to the front of the desktop, to be the application 'on top', even though you see it on top.

DCS A10C Warthog, DCS Black Shark 2, DCS P51D Mustang, DCS UH-1H Huey, DCS Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Flaming Cliffs 3, Combined Arms

System: Intel i7 4770k @4,2GHz; MSI Z87-G65; 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM; 128GB SSD SATA3 (system disk); 2TB HDD SATA3 (games disk); Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X; Windows 7 64bit

Flight controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder; TrackIR 5; Thrustmaster F16 MFDs; 2x 8'' LCD screens (VGA) for MFD display; 27'' LG LCD full HD main display

For me, this flashing occurs when loading the flight. Usually, if I see desktop flashes, this means the mouse doesn't work in DCS either, and I am forced to switch windows (alt+tab), and then click on the DCS World running program to maximise it again. After that, the mouse works AND no more desktop flashes.

Exact same issue here, Win7, GeForce GTX580, all drivers up to date.

In DCSW options, turning off Aero desktop (the windows interface) did nothing. Solution for me was to not play in fullscreen mode, I took no noticeable performance hit and the problem is completely gone.

Exact same issue here, Win7, GeForce GTX580, all drivers up to date.

In DCSW options, turning off Aero desktop (the windows interface) did nothing. Solution for me was to not play in fullscreen mode, I took no noticeable performance hit and the problem is completely gone.

Over here, DCSW turns off Aero by default, and the desktop flashing occurs anyway.

I won't be running the game in full screen for long as I'm about to install 8-inch LCDs (for MFD use), and that sort of setup can only be used in windowed mode (as far as I know).

So, if this problem only happens in full-screen (and not in windowed mode), then I won't be having this problem for long...

DCS A10C Warthog, DCS Black Shark 2, DCS P51D Mustang, DCS UH-1H Huey, DCS Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Flaming Cliffs 3, Combined Arms

System: Intel i7 4770k @4,2GHz; MSI Z87-G65; 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM; 128GB SSD SATA3 (system disk); 2TB HDD SATA3 (games disk); Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X; Windows 7 64bit

Flight controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder; TrackIR 5; Thrustmaster F16 MFDs; 2x 8'' LCD screens (VGA) for MFD display; 27'' LG LCD full HD main display

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright, I don't have desktop flashes (I use ATI card don't know if nVidia drivers are worsein this case) and it seems you see the flash of desktop image because the game looses focus (its window is not "on the top") especially weird if you get it in fullscreen.

On my end, the DCS window looses focus when window pops up loading the mission and I have to click with mouse on it to bring back focus to it, after that works fine as its suposed to.

I don't know if this will come in next release but I can say I don't see this loosing focus in latest beta builds, so it's likely ED have sorted it out... fingers crossed they did and it comes in next version.

No longer active in DCS...