If there is anything harder than air refueling I don't know what it is!

agathorn

I think it doesn't help that the first time you go up there it doesn't resemble the videos you see on youtube of the real thing one bit.

Considering the real boom operator keeps the boom retracted it misleads you as to where you're really supposed to position yourself.

I still believe that this is harder than in real life, between short throw sticks with asymmetrical curvature, AI boom operators that'd get drummed out of the Air Guard and people trying to accomplish the task with basically a complete lack of formation flying training what we experience in the air is not representative of what a real pilot feels when facing the boom I'm sure.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

In 1.1.1.1 when refueling was completed the Boom operator would say, "Transfer Complete". I think it's been changed in the current version where he says "disconnect" while you're still connected, then you have to press the reset (nose steering) then he'll say "Transfer Complete". It kind of gives you control over it, but it also makes it a little harder to judge when you're topped off, because he'll also say "Disconnect" if you're riding too high on the boom and out of position. But it's minor since you can see that your position hasn't changed and a quick tank check will tell you whether you're full.

I...er...I think I managed this tonight! It still takes me several connects to do well, but they're now frequently around a minute long. I'm getting better. Is the sign of a successful refuel when the tanker guy says "disconnect", but the little light next to your HUD says "latched"? I assume that's him telling me I've had enough.

Edited by Tailgate

If there is anything harder than air refueling I don't know what it is!

pfft, you should try getting a 3 year old having a tantrum dressed with one arm in a sling! :)

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

So I swear this isn't me, but intermittently what I find is that the boom will just go through my nose like its not there. The boom operator is trying to connect, its guided into the receptacle but instead of connecting it just keeps clipping. I confirm this when I look at an external view both during the actual mission and when I'm watching a replay. it literally passes through my nose as if its not even there, but the Operator is obviously trying to connect with it.

Its happened in both my own missions to practice this as well as others.

I've connected before but sometimes it seems to be broken. I managed to make contact on my first day trying this (only briefly) but since then I've gotten obviously a lot better yet now I connect even less because of this apparent issue.

Basically makes this really frustrating cause I'm not getting rewarded for actually progressing.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

In 1.1.1.1 when refueling was completed the Boom operator would say, "Transfer Complete". I think it's been changed in the current version where he says "disconnect" while you're still connected, then you have to press the reset (nose steering) then he'll say "Transfer Complete". It kind of gives you control over it, but it also makes it a little harder to judge when you're topped off, because he'll also say "Disconnect" if you're riding too high on the boom and out of position. But it's minor since you can see that your position hasn't changed and a quick tank check will tell you whether you're full.

When you're out of position, shouldn't the "latched" light change to "disconnect"? I wasn't totally full (unless I've forgotten how to properly read the fuel guage, which is entirely possible), but I'd taken a significant amount, which is at the very least a partial win for me.

Edit: Just had it when the boom was at green, so it's definitely a replacement for "transfer complete". It also shows that I'd forgotten how much fuel the A-10 holds, as the guages were just above the 4.

Edited by Rusty_M