Calling all RAMP staff.

James

I worked the ramp for six years and honestly never found a great combo. Basically always used ear plugs and my issued headset. If you are working in cold weather, I think you have better options for padding and comfort. Do you need just straight ear defenders or a headset?

Use foam earplugs and over the ear sets. Working around a running jet engine we have to wear double hearing protection. Been working around running jets for 13+ years. How I have missed the sound of AB take offs, now I get to hear it again. F-16's, F-18's and F-22's........man I love working around fighters.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Use foam earplugs and over the ear sets. Working around a running jet engine we have to wear double hearing protection. Been working around running jets for 13+ years. How I have missed the sound of AB take offs, now I get to hear it again. F-16's, F-18's and F-22's........man I love working around fighters.

Wish I still worked on Vipers :(

But yes, earplugs and then the big defenders. Cuts down the higher-frequency noise very nicely. If that's not enough, you can always go fork out the money for custom-made, noice-cancelling earplugs. I know that quite a few Crewchiefs at Ørland MAS and Bodø MAS here in Norway use those.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

Double hearing protection does work pretty well. Custom ones would be the ticket for long term comfort, but you can try a few brands of the standard foamies to find ones you like for now. I like the triple flanged silicone style, or the foam ones that are more cone shaped and soft. The cylindrical yellow EAR ones are pretty uncomfortable, IMO.

I have a couple active noise canceling headsets; one David clark & one flightcom. They are good around hobarts and other low frequency/steady noise, but do little for the high frequency jet and APU noise.

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

Sorry what? Can't hear the question, better what? :D

I had some of this for a while and worked good for me in combination with ear plugs

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I have a couple active noise canceling headsets; one David clark & one flightcom. They are good around hobarts and other low frequency/steady noise, but do little for the high frequency jet and APU noise.

Very true, technically not possible to build them for high frequencies.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Double bag it. I used to use yellow squishies under earmuffs, and I swear by it.

I used to have some really nice 3M earmuffs, but they don't seem to make the same model anymore. These are similar, and offer 28db of protection:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ELVEX-Ear-Muff-3RXE1?Pid=search

Underneath those, use the earplugs that are "push-in" type. These have an internal stiffener, so that you son't have to roll them up to get them in. The easier they are to get in when you're running out the door, the more likely you are to actually wear them. (Blanket "so-to-speak" on the entire preceding paragraph.)

Sometimes, the "cool kids" will have a chuckle at your insistence on proper PPE. Tell them to f*ck off...

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

cheers for all the replies guys, if I get an extended contract I'll look at a custome made set. For now I've gone for the push in styled ones with the over ear ones to give that extra protection.

The worst noise has to the 767 and 777 engines they scream as the aircraft begins to taxi, either that or the APU of the A319 its the pitch that does it not the noise...

Out of interest is work on the airforce RAMP simular to the work on the Civi ramp? aside from y'know loading weapons.

Interesting you should say that Blueridge, haven't seen many people even the "cool kids" at work not wear their PPE some have even gone as far as buying knee-pads, madness.

Good, perhaps the culture has changed. I used to get crazy looks from people when I put earmuffs on over my squishies. Then again, this was from people who refused to believe that jet blast could overturn a semi-truck, and once claimed that there was no way a jet was "faster 'n a NASCAR!"...

And, for the record, knee pads will save your life. I cannot begin to count how many thousands of hours I spent on my knees in the bellies of DC-8's, DC-9's, 717's, 727's, 757's, and A319/320's. Working at a cargo airline is worse because a lot of that bulk cargo is some seriously heavy sh*t.

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

I'm not sure about your country, but in mine you should be able to talk to your health and safety people. They will tell you exactly what the minimum grade hearing protection is for the particular environment you are working in and should issue you something suitable.

[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

We get hearing test done every year and mine have only went down a small amount since I first started. Although my wife would beg the differ, she says I can't hear crap.....selective hearing...hehe.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

LOL,I know the Drill:thumbup: Cali, After selective hearing you get Hallway Sex..:megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

I learned to ALWAYS wear a double set of earprotection the hard way, standing between two F16's when they fired up. I only had one yellow earplug in, and I've lost the ability to hear sounds above a certain frequency in my right ear because of it. JFS'es are bleedin' loud!

Standing inside a hardened concrete shelter when the jet fires up also tends to teach you that you can never let your guard down when it comes to protecting your hearing. And while a civilian ramp isn't enclosed like a HAS, you still need to protect your hearing in any way possible.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.