Auto-update corrupts installation

BlueRidgeDx

I'm on Win7 Ultimate x64, logged into an administrator account.

I downloaded the torrent version of DCS World and it installed normally. I then downloaded the A-10C module, which also installed normally.

When I started DCS World using the new desktop shortcut, I got the dialogue box stating that a new update was available. I said yes, and allowed the updater to begin.

It validated my local files, downloaded the update, and began applying the update. Immediately thereafter, I received the following message:

attachment.php?attachmentid=71692&stc=1&d=1349733277

I tried running the shortcut again, and received the following message:

attachment.php?attachmentid=71690&stc=1&d=1349733277

I thought that was weird, so I ran "Repair DCS World" from the Start Menu, and received the same error message.

I checked the ../DCS World/bin/ directory and this is all that's there:

attachment.php?attachmentid=71689&stc=1&d=1349733277

I uninstalled, reinstalled and did not install the A-10C module in order to isolate the issue. The result was the same.

I've tried it four times, and it's the same each time. Prior to running the updater on the 4th try, I made a backup copy of all the applications in the /bin directory. I was going to replace them and try again, but I see that at least half of the original files in the /bin directory are missing.

Any ideas what's happening?

Untitled4.thumb.jpg.081b05d6144eb967775ffe8f5be69a1c.jpg

Untitled3.jpg.9af8dce4899be7c9c61847d166008b6f.jpg

Untitled2.jpg.430ed79da709e0bb1ed970489d670c8c.jpg

Untitled.jpg.3011f4427d592ee8c49aa79996109a63.jpg

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

logged into an administrator account.

Did you try right clicking the updater .exe and running as Admin?

Did you do the same when you installed DCS world?

A total shot in the dark on my part, but I'm pretty sure Win7 is pretty quirky with Admin rights (even if your account is Admin)

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

That was going to be my next step, to Run as Admin, but the DCS-updater.exe deleted itself, along with all the other executables (launcher.exe, dcs.exe, runlua.exe, etc...). They just disappeared.

I thought running a Repair on the installation would fix it, but that shortcut also points to the missing DCS-updater.exe. The only thing I could do was uninstall/reinstall.

I did eventually get it to work by manually changing the Compatibility settings of each executable in the /bin directory to "Run as Administrator" BEFORE letting the autoupdater attempt an update.

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

• ED Team

Did the dcs_update_apply.exe asked for admin rights before the applying the update?

From your description it looks like it didn't.

Most probably that's because Ultimate version of Windows forbids unsigned executables to even ask for the rights...

Setting 'Run as admin' on dcs_updater.exe and dcs_update_apply.exe should suffice.

Thanks for the report - I see at least two issues here.

1) we should sign the updater

2) updater should delete itself after everything else is OK, not before.

and

3) small web-installer/standalone repairer will help.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Did the dcs_update_apply.exe asked for admin rights before the applying the update? From your description it looks like it didn't.

Most probably that's because Ultimate version of Windows forbids unsigned executables to even ask for the rights...

No, it didn't ask.

Setting 'Run as admin' on dcs_updater.exe and dcs_update_apply.exe should suffice.

When I set DCS-updater.exe to Run as Admin, it then choked on the next file which I think was AsmShadersCompiler.exe. At that point, I assumed that it would fail on each of the executables in /bin unless I set them all to Run as Admin.

Instead of troubleshooting further, I went ahead and set them all to Run as Admin. It's possible that it wasn't necessary to do so for ALL of the executables, but I didn't check it further.

Once I set them all to Run as Admin, DCS-updater.exe ran without fault.

Thanks for the report - I see at least two issues here.

1) we should sign the updater

2) updater should delete itself after everything else is OK, not before.

and

3) small web-installer/standalone repairer will help.

Thanks c0ff, all good ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a very similar update failure issue, however, setting the executables priviledges to "run as administrator" still failed the update. Failure appears to be a file/folder rights issue.

win 7-64 Home Premium. Ran all component installations as administrator (about 8 times now). Program install is build 5970. Program runs fine without update attempt. I have made sure I "own" and have full rights on the DCS World folder and all subcomponents. Update hangs with the following error:

create(D:\DCS World\bin/blockimtest.exe)(5) Access is denied

Indeed the DCS World\bin folder after update attempt is missing many files, including all the DCS update files and, of course, the blockimtest.exe. Moreover the startup menu folder is now empty. /mods/aircrafts/A-10C/bin folder also missing. I tried installing to the default folder with no joy.

Hope this helps. Guess I will continue to run build 5970 untill this gets resolved.

I have DCS World installed on two different machines (a portable rig and my normal desktop) and the auto-updater corrupts the installs on both but I don't get any errors during the update. The problem is when I try to run any mission. On one machine I do get to the aircraft after error popups and screen corruption but the cockpit is invisible. On the other machine the game simply crashes back to the launcher, which promptly crashes itself to desktop.

I think the theme here is that the auto-updater is in need of an update itself. :doh:

• ED Team
I have made sure I "own" and have full rights on the DCS World folder and all subcomponents. Update hangs with the following error:

create(D:\DCS World\bin/blockimtest.exe)(5) Access is denied

Hope this helps. Guess I will continue to run build 5970 untill this gets resolved.

It would be nice to see autoupdate.log file generated right after error.

The issue with missing exe-files after any update error is resolved, but is not in the public version yet.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.