Firing missiles in free DCS World SU-25T

Hi, I have been looking around for a decent combat flight sim for a while and when I saw Flaming Cliffs 3 was on the way I thought I would try out DCS World with the free SU-25T.

It took a bit of patience to be able to fly the thing in sim mode but I'm getting the hang of it now. I tried a couple of missions and where I have no issues with the cannon, I can't get the missiles to fire, the air to ground or air to air ones. I can get the target locked and the launch authorised indicator on the HUD and targeting monitor but even when I am in between the maximum and minimum release distances fire just does nothing.

I'm obviously being really dull and missing something, I followed some of the guides on YouTube linked to on these forums but it just doesn't seem to behave the same? Do I need to air the missiles in some way or is there something else? Are they even supposed to work in the 'free' version of the game?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Could you post a track file please?

If you don't know how to get one keep reading.

Fly a mission, and (try to) launch some weapons.

Exit the mission

On the debrief screen you have several options

One of the is "save track"

Use that one, name the track as you like and safe to location of your choice.

Close the game, navigate to the trackfile and put it in an WINRAR archive (or zip or whatever)

Then upload to the forum as attachment.

(forum doesn't accept .trk files hence the need to zip it)

~S~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Ok tried that and the launch permission override just seems to give you the LA (launch authorisation) regardless of your range/altitude etc. I tried this and still 'weapon fire' does nothing. It's very odd, almost like its disabled or something :(

Thanks for the suggestions, tried holding the launch button longer but doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm away from my machine now until tomorrow evening but I'll have another go then and try to save the track, you will no doubt see all my dodgy flying then and hopefully see what I'm doing wrong :music_whistling:

Some ideas:

-Does the plane actually have the missiles mounted ;)

-Rebind the launch key to the key you want it on (it might be miss-assigned).

-I'm guess you're using the vhikr missiles so you have to turn on the TV thing.

-You also need to turn the laser on to guide the missile.

Hi, I have been looking around for a decent combat flight sim for a while and when I saw Flaming Cliffs 3 was on the way I thought I would try out DCS World with the free SU-25T.

It took a bit of patience to be able to fly the thing in sim mode but I'm getting the hang of it now. I tried a couple of missions and where I have no issues with the cannon, I can't get the missiles to fire, the air to ground or air to air ones. I can get the target locked and the launch authorised indicator on the HUD and targeting monitor but even when I am in between the maximum and minimum release distances fire just does nothing.

I'm obviously being really dull and missing something, I followed some of the guides on YouTube linked to on these forums but it just doesn't seem to behave the same? Do I need to air the missiles in some way or is there something else? Are they even supposed to work in the 'free' version of the game?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the missiles are on the same key bind, one trigger rules them all, that's how it is for the USSR planes. So take the Canon key unbind it and put it on the release weapons key-bind. you only use the C key to activate the canons.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Some ideas:

-Does the plane actually have the missiles mounted ;)

-Rebind the launch key to the key you want it on (it might be miss-assigned).

-I'm guess you're using the vhikr missiles so you have to turn on the TV thing.

-You also need to turn the laser on to guide the missile.

Hi,

I am currently playing with the instant ground and air attack missions and I have both weapon select and weapon fire assigned to buttons on my old Sidewinder precision 2 joystick so they should be fine. But with the weapon fire the key bindings show its mapped to both Joystick button1 and the space bar so I've be trying both.

Yes I did try the vhikr missiles on that first instant ground attack mission and I can lock onto one of the ground units (tank), get the laser turned on (RSHIFT O I believe) and get a LA (launch authorisation) but I just cant get it to fire :(

Didn't play since long time, but you have to place the tv cusor on the hud inside the circle before you can fire

(little circle with dot inside big circle)

07_Vikhr_Indication.jpg

L'important n'est pas de tuer, mais de survivre.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if you read this you are too curious

so you holding the fire button down for 3 seconds?

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

I was aware of the target reticule needing to be inside the circle on the HUD for laser guidance but i wonder if I was managing to hold the fire button for 3 secs whilst keeping it in there if you see what I mean, I will try that again tonight and confirm.

3 secs sounds like quite a long time, so I will definately try that again as well to confirm I was holding it long enough.

Thanks for all your help its much appreciated!

make sure it looks like this

and make sure your buttons work.

not SU25T game mode

The following statement from my original post is invalid, I was wrong.

Don't activate the laser prior to firing a Vikhr. The laser will activate automatically after you fire the missile, make sure it is off when you fire. I don't know if this is by design or not but I noticed it won't release when I'm lasing a target.

Also, try a different missile/bomb/cannon to verify that it is only the Vikhrs. If it isn't firing then that would eliminate the problem I've indicated above.

Edited by Britchot

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

I don't know if this is by design or not but I noticed it won't release when I'm lasing a target.

Depending on the exact situation that could be a bug;

A

You just searched for a target whit laser on to have accurate range and you lock it. In this case if all launch parameters are met you should be able to fire a vikhr without the need of disabling the laser first.

B

You have already engaged a target whit a vikhr, kept the laser on and locked a new target. In this case you won't be able to fire a vikhr until you turn off the laser.

(just to clarify, the above would be normal operation)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You don't need to keep turning laser on and off between missiles. I normally locate target, lock, turn on laser, fire when in range. Keep laser on... there is a countdown timer in the bottom left, in the meanwhile lock next target, once the timer is done, u will automatically get LA.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

B

You have already engaged a target whit a vikhr, kept the laser on and locked a new target. In this case you won't be able to fire a vikhr until you turn off the laser.

(just to clarify, the above would be normal operation)

I'm pretty sure this is the issue I've seen, that makes sense. I'll look for that countdown timer, I'm sure I've been target fixated and have missed it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

what count down timer? :joystick:

In case someone is interested in why the countdown timer is there in the first place;

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1546412&postcount=45

If your interested in how the targeting system of the KA-50/SU-25T works in relation to the Vikhr missile i can recommend reading that thread from page one;

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=93117

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for all the responses everyone but finally I'm sorted now. I definitely wasn't holding the fire button for long enough, certainly not whilst keeping the target in the reticule for the vikhr's. Once I made sure I gave myself a good long run up to the target and was able to get the target in the reticule (have to dive a bit at the end to keep it there long enough is that how others do it?) then I had time to hold the launch button and it worked as expected. So definitely a case of 'error between keyboard and chair' :music_whistling:

Really tempted to pick up A10-C now or maybe wait for Flaming Cliffs 3? Although as I understand it the planes in FC3 won't have quite the same realism is that correct?

The aircraft in FC3 will be simple in the way that the Su-25T has been. I don't think the aircraft is entirely simple, since I've had quite a bit of fun flying it, and I own DCS: A-10C. I would put the A-10C on par with a simulator that you can enjoy the finer workings of avionics, targeting, navigation, and weapon systems; a study sim as others have put it. For the Su-25T and the upcoming FC3, it's more like a simulator that doesn't get into the nitty gritty of how the system works but allows you the realism of employing several different types of aircraft.

Basically, if you want one in-depth airframe then get DCS: A-10C. If you want several, very capable fighters/attackers that will take you less time to get "into the fight" then pick up FC3. Of course, you can always get both and enjoy the best of both worlds :smartass:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist