Turning Object Textures to Low Without Affecting Pit or Terrain

Smokin Hole

I try to avoid messing with lua files for a very good reason, I don't understand them. What I do understand is that whenever I screw with things I don't understand I generally do more harm than good. My situation is this: I have an underpowered iMac that must run the game at 2560 x 1440. This has become a problem with World. It is no longer able to run the game smoothly. Now, airfields in particular turn it into a slide-show. I have tried lower resolutions but, in addition to looking fuzzy, it really doesn't help performance that much. So, all I want to do is to keep the terrain at high but reduce all objects, static objects, hangars/bunkers/buildings to their lowest possible detail. It may not work but I at least want to try before giving up on DCS entirely. Is this possible? And if so can someone point me to the correct lines to change? Thanks.

Textures have little impact on FPS for any computer other than those over 6 or 7 years old. It is the Amount of triangles drawn on screen that hit FPS hard. Reduce the scenes, visibility distance, trees , grass etc etc until you find acceptable performance, then go tweaking.

Other tips include No TSSAA, and absolutely no mirrors or cockpit/tree shadows.

Nate

Thanks. But why do airfields have such a huge impact? They are pretty sparse. I mean, let's face it, compared to X-Plane SeaTac there is very little there to draw: some bomb-proof hangars, a couple of An-2s, and maybe a Hip or two. If it were not for the airports I would have little to complain about. But really the airports kill me and have done so since just about the the time P-51 was released. If I get away (or look away) from an airport, everything is fine even with Scenes, Textures and Visibility set to high and Shadows set to medium. It is true that I can make DCS run decently if I adjust it to look like Falcon 4. But then what's the point?

There certainly is an issue with airfields. I run on High, except Water and Shadows I've got on Low, at 1920x1200 and get 40-50fps flying around but this drops to 30fps even flying towards an airfield some distance away. Once at the airfield (Mozdok) and I'm just past it so the runway/vehicles are longer in view but the town/buildings behind it are, it goes back up to 40+

Even at the start when on the ground, I get 42fps looking straight ahead but 28fps when looking left at the helos next to me (or 23fps if I use the Ctrl+Num0, Num4 snapview).

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen