Brevity code for bombs

Skitter

Hi. I can't find anywhere a brevity code for announcing bombs release. At least in official documentation I found around the Internet, there is no "BOMBS AWAY" or something.

I'm curious about the term "PIGS AWAY"

In

MULTI-SERVICE
BREVITY CODES
FM 1-02.1 (FM 3-54.10)
MCRP 3-25B
NTTP 6-02.1
AFTTP(I) 3-2.5
JUNE 2005

...the PIG(S) is described as :

PIG(S) [A/S] Friendly glide weapon(s) (e.g., JSOW).

See (weapon) AWAY.

Bomb is (a kind of) gliding weapon, but JSOW is completely different animal. So it makes me wonder...

Cheers

• ED Team

Interesting I have never seen that one....

we use "Pickle" for a single release and "Ripple" for multiple

I am sure someone will enlighten us :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I've heard many calls for not just dumb bombs but other weapons too.

"Stores"

"Pickle"

Sometimes they'll just call "Off, (number released) away" and not make a call at weapon release for free fall weapons. In a CAS scenario the JTAC would usually have the aircraft visual for a type I control and there wouldnt be a need to make the call at weapon release.

Not definitive by any means but hopefully that gives you a better idea.

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

Hahaha! Yea! I think exactly the same!

I've came across "PICKLE" in a documentary book and "RIPPLE" is also in the document mentioned.

RIPPLE [A/S] Two or more munitions released or fired

in close succession.

"paveway"

"cbu away"

"gbu away"

Sounds fine.

By the way..in the same book "GUNS" is in a list of deleted codes. Didn't find any substitute yet...

Edited by Skitter

All I can tell you from first-hand knowledge is what USAF, USMC, RAF, RNAF and RDAF pilots in Afghanistan used for absolutely everything they dropped, no matter what platform, no matter what kind of weapon, no matter how many of them: Stores.

The only exception were Apache pilots (the US Army ones, don´t know about the UK and Netherlands), who called out "engaging" when firing the gun or the Hellfire, and funnily enough nothing at all when firing rockets (btw, does anyone happen to know why they remained quiet in this case?).

Edited by Cookie

- Two miles of road lead nowhere, two miles of runway lead everywhere -

Click here for system specs

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think anyone calls 'ripple' for multiple BVR shots. You call the number of foxes and any unusual things, like a suddenly dropped sort.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

By the way..in the same book "GUNS" is in a list of deleted codes. Didn't find any substitute yet...

Guns, guns, guns! Or, if you think you are cool, "Fox Four!".

I don't think anyone calls 'ripple' for multiple BVR shots. You call the number of foxes and any unusual things, like a suddenly dropped sort.

Three, three, fox three?

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

RippleTwo or more munitions released or fired in close succession.Cleared hotOrdnance release is authorized.dryOrdnance release not authorized.Ten secondsDirective to terminal controller to stand by for laser on call in approximately 10 seconds.Terminate

1. Stop laser illumination of a target.

Laser onDirective to start laser designation.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Cleared hotOrdnance release is authorized.dryOrdnance release not authorized

Continue dry means continue with attack without using live ammo ( training)

Abort x3 with abort code means release is not authorized

• Like 1

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes

turned skyward for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"

Neck.png

132nd Public documents - Want to apply? - 132nd Youtube channel - 132nd Discord Channel

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting topic, I wondered about that too

For multiple BVR shots (though this is actually off-topic), there are:

2nd FOX THREE**

Simulated or actual launch of multiple active radar-guided missiles on the same target

and

FOX THREE (X) SHIP**

Valid missile shot against (x) separate targets (assumes 1 missile per target).

Source: Multiservice Brevity Codes, June 2003

• 10 years later...
  • 2 months later...

On 10/11/2012 at 9:58 AM, Skitter said:

Hi. I can't find anywhere a brevity code for announcing bombs release. At least in official documentation I found around the Internet, there is no "BOMBS AWAY" or something.

I'm curious about the term "PIGS AWAY"

In

MULTI-SERVICE
BREVITY CODES
FM 1-02.1 (FM 3-54.10)
MCRP 3-25B
NTTP 6-02.1
AFTTP(I) 3-2.5
JUNE 2005

...the PIG(S) is described as :

Bomb is (a kind of) gliding weapon, but JSOW is completely different animal. So it makes me wonder...

Cheers

The accepted NATO term is 'One Away' for a dropped, gravity weapon, and 'Rifle' for a Maverick/Brimstone/Hellfire.  There is no codeword 'Shack' for target destroyed while we're at it.  'Splash' is the only listed codeword for a succesful kill, to be used for either air or ground.

Dr Spankle

Edited by drspankle

On 10/25/2023 at 12:27 PM, drspankle said:

The accepted NATO term is 'One Away' for a dropped, gravity weapon, and 'Rifle' for a Maverick/Brimstone/Hellfire.  There is no codeword 'Shack' for target destroyed while we're at it.  'Splash' is the only listed codeword for a succesful kill, to be used for either air or ground.

Dr Spankle

Pig Away is correct term.

Refrenece: ATP 1-02.1, BREVITY MULTI-SERVICE TACTICS, TECHNIQUES, AND PROCEDURES FOR MULTI-SERVICE BREVITY CODES

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 10.57.04.png