Flickering/Shimmering

Invisibull

Hi, I'm getting some pretty bad shimmering of the terrain (trees especially) and in the cockpit (straight lines seem to undulate). I've used all sim settings as well as every setting in Nvidia Inspector for antialiasing with no luck. Any ideas?

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

Do You use controlled applications in driver opition?

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

That's arelief that it isn't just my machine...

Buildings (staright edges) in the distance have "the crawlies" and the occassional distracting flicker when mountain top (again in distance) meets sky/ cloud.

Same nVidia settings as all previous version

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Yes, Yoyo. Allowing antialiasing to be controlled by the program does improve it, but nothing close to how good it's looked in past versions.

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

thanks for your response Distiler, but neither of those settings have any effect for me, regardless of what they are set to.

Ace, I'm aware of the cloud flicker issue and the various fixes for it. I've already gone down that road. Thanks just the same.

Something I have noticed is that the flickering seems to diminish a lot when i pause trackir. Not sure what the connection might be. Anyone else have an idea?

I guess, this is the same problem as cockpit shimmering, caused by lack of mipmaps.

Make back-up for noise_small.bmp.dds into your DCS World\Bazar\Terrain\vfstextures\LandTextures.zip and replace it with noise_small.bmp.dds from attachment.

Should fix ground (not grass) shimmering arround you.

fix.rar

OK, this last attempt did not eliminate the flickering I'm having. I've tried older drivers too from back when i didn't have this problem and that's not doing it either. Thanks for all the help just the same.

I can't stand the shimmering on the plants/trees. I call them dancing pixels...

You can get rid of them if you have a strong enough video card. (Nvidia control panel) Antialiasing Transparency set to 4x or 8x supersample( there is still some shimmer with 4x but you have to look close) in Nvidia all other settings at defaults. In game setting must be set for MSAA 8xQ or higher. Turn of TSSAA. No more dancing pixels but terrible framerates if you use 3 screens like I do :/

I must admit though after the latest update I get an acceptable 25 FPS with these settings at 5880 x 1080.

I'm using driver version 306.97 but this works on older drivers-GTX 680

Edited by Slayer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

Hi Slayer, I've had my settings even higher than those you are suggesting and by 8x supersample, all i'm doing is eating up FPS with no real reduction in flickering.

Hi Slayer, I've had my settings even higher than those you are suggesting and by 8x supersample, all i'm doing is eating up FPS with no real reduction in flickering.

Invisibull.... Mannnnn!!! I can't believe you are getting Flickering anything with that build.

I see you have tryed everything except another video card, can you do that? Your Monitor and settings are the same as before the flickering I assume?

Did you put A-10 on the Ramdisk? What were your results if so?

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Atalia: I've been with DCS A-10 since the beginning, and this latest version is the first to give me this kind of problem. I don't have this problem with anything else so i doubt it's got anything to do with my Vid card.

And yes, I do have A-10 on the ramdisk. Definitely makes things smoother.

Atalia: I've been with DCS A-10 since the beginning, and this latest version is the first to give me this kind of problem. I don't have this problem with anything else so i doubt it's got anything to do with my Vid card.

And yes, I do have A-10 on the ramdisk. Definitely makes things smoother.

Gotcha. Sounds like an issue that will take an update to repair. You didn't have the problem with 1.2.0 then you update to 1.2.1. and you get the flickering? Odd as the 1.2.0 was the implemintation of the updated graphics and you would think that would have caused issues if there were going to be any.

Tracing the update line by line to see what the corrilation is between the TrackerIR and your flickering seems the only option here, other than waiting for a patch.

And this is sometimes caused by overheated video cards, you don't mention anything about your temps when this happens, I would assume you did check them as a knowlegable user. unless as with me some issue I over tech. and leave out the obvious because of it.

Edited by AtaliaA1

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

• 6 months later...
Hi, I'm getting some pretty bad shimmering of the terrain (trees especially) and in the cockpit (straight lines seem to undulate). I've used all sim settings as well as every setting in Nvidia Inspector for antialiasing with no luck. Any ideas?

That's arelief that it isn't just my machine...

Buildings (staright edges) in the distance have "the crawlies" and the occassional distracting flicker when mountain top (again in distance) meets sky/ cloud.

Same nVidia settings as all previous version

I have the flickering/simmering terrain also. At present I blame the GPU and driver. No investigation done as that takes much to much time, waiting for new driver release ;)

(HJ)

I have this also, and sadly it's getting worse and by this I mean I notice it on more and more things. I can see this shimmering on pretty much everything (and I am using later test versions) from terrain, roads, cockpits, trees, buildings, bridges, even rivers and coastline... it's definitely not the video card issue and I am 100% certain it has to do with ED slowly implementing/"updating" graphics engine for lighting effects as I notice this shimmering is more prominent (by far) on lines/edges of textures/objects that are very bright and contrast with it's surrounding texture(s).

It might be bump mapping, I don't know, but it's certainly there and getting worse (and I really hate this) :cry:

I have submitted this as bug report and I really hope ED do something about it as I really hate this shimmering... it looks like as if AA is not working but it's on and working... ver high level of AA reduces it but does not eliminate it... not to mention very high level of AA kills the FPS so not really good solution even if it worked :helpsmilie:

No longer active in DCS...

We will hang in there with this until EDGE is here. At least I will but the shimmering is annoying and as you say visible on a lot of objects. I sometimes get a complete building that is "lit up" and blinking, I think this must be from the same problem.

I've been doing a lot of research/tweaking lately and found a couple of things with DCS:

There are 2 types of pixel crawl I see in DCS:

1) "Waves" and aliasing on the ground texture

Forcing ANY kind of Anisotropic Filtering(AF) at all is actually causing a big part of the aliasing on ground textures. Once you've put that back to Application control you will see a huge improvement. AF is supposed to make textures crisper when viewed at low angles, but in a lot of cases where the scene is rapidly moving it can also cause more aliasing. Then of course you have to go to even higher AA settings to combat this. It's a vicious cycle.

Honestly in DCS I see very little difference in IQ with this left at default.

2) Aliasing all over trees and bushes ( ground clutter )

Requires a totally different kind of AA to handle , especially when you're moving.

The only way to get rid of it is using the different forms of Transparency SuperSampling AA.

TrackIR really amplifies the problem because of near constant head movement so people that use snap views or joystick panning are less likely to notice it or care.

Edited by Slayer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit