Bad FPS? Give these a try.

msalama

Hello -

Please find attached some of my FPS configuration tweaks. These may or may not work for you, but as I've stated elsewhere I very seldomly suffer from slideshow-level FPS and / or stutters myself, so maybe they are indeed of help.

To install you'll either need to copy them in manually, or as I recommend use a mod manager - I'm using JSGME myself. But still, please make backups of everything before installing regardless of how you go about it!

I unfortunately don't have time for any technical support, so you'll be more or less on your own should you run into snags when trying these out. But please report back still if you find the package helpful :)

Happy flying,

M.

PS / EDIT @ 15-04-2013: Attachment removed, because this version is deprecated. Use the following instead: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=101083

Edited by msalama

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mind posting the changes you have made to graphics.cfg? I think Notepad++ has a compare feature but I don't know how to use it. Thanks for posting. I need all the help I can get. If there was a mod to remove all static vehicles from airports, that would be the cat's a$$.

The pertinent changes are as follows:

Renderer = "nvd3dumx.dll"; // "DXRenderer.dll"; // for NVidia users only!

:

:

:

mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_ONLY";

:

:

:

High // Config @ 09-2012

{

near_clip = 0.2;

middle_clip = 4;

far_clip = 70000;

structures = {20, 10000};

trees = {1000, 10000};

dynamic = {300, 20000};

dynamic2 = {300, 20000,0.5};

objects = {3000, 60000};

mirage = {3000, 20000};

surface = {10000, 60000}; // {14000, 60000};

lights = {100, 20000};

districtobjects = {200, 200};

districts = {5000, 5000};

lodMult = 1; // 1.5;

lodAdd = 100; // 0;

}

:

:

:

LandLodDistances

{

LandDay

{

L01 = 5000; // 10000;

L12 = 20000;

}

LandNight

{

L01 = 4000; // 8000;

L12 = 15000;

}

:

:

:

Plus zeroed a bunch of unused old leftover variables as well just to see if they have an effect - they don't. And that's pretty much it in a nutshell I think :)

• Like 1

Do you mind posting the changes you have made to graphics.cfg? I think Notepad++ has a compare feature but I don't know how to use it. Thanks for posting. I need all the help I can get. If there was a mod to remove all static vehicles from airports, that would be the cat's a$$.

Can-do.

I haven't tested this, but it should remove most of the airport vehicles, including the both variants of the GAZ-66 (overmodeled with AK-47 in the passenger seat,) the KAMAZ fire truck, and the ugly RLS-37 radar, among others. (8 things in total.)

Back up and give it a shot. Installs in recursive directories in the root directory. I believe all but 3 files will overwrite something, so be careful.

NoAirportVehicles.zip

Well I need to give it some more time. I am keenly aware of my own tendancy towards placebo. But... it really does seem to have sped things up a bit. Benchmark is "Battle". The MRLS rounds still cause a slideshow (I think they do for everyone). Otherwise things move allong about as well as I recall them doing prior to DCS World 1.2.x. Some of the explosions have an initial Minecraft quality but if that's what it takes to make the game playable until ED throws some love towards mid-range PC owners then it's easily a price worth paying. S!

Can-do.

I haven't tested this, but it should remove most of the airport vehicles, including the both variants of the GAZ-66 (overmodeled with AK-47 in the passenger seat,) the KAMAZ fire truck, and the ugly RLS-37 radar, among others. (8 things in total.)

Back up and give it a shot. Installs in recursive directories in the root directory. I believe all but 3 files will overwrite something, so be careful.

Thanks! I looked at the changed files and about half had no .lods equivilents in my Shapes folder, only .edm. Since I don't know what either of those are I opted to leave this one alone.

Thanks! I looked at the changed files and about half had no .lods equivilents in my Shapes folder, only .edm. Since I don't know what either of those are I opted to leave this one alone.

That's how I explained it. If you back up the .lods files, nothing will be hurt. They're essentially very short script files that tell the game how to handle LODs for the models. These updated lods files just tell the game not to display those overmodeled trucks and other unnecessary airport features.

That's what you asked for, right? If not, don't use it... only took 10 minutes.

is missing the new MiG-31 and F/A-18 textures starting at line 133.

:unsure: So THAT'S where the buggers went. I wondered who the hell stole them :D Thanks for letting me know - will edit in ASAP. S!

FYI: I'm currently combing through my BS1 installer with an aim of replacing the FPS-eating new DCSW effects with the old ones where appropriate / possible; will inform you later if I make any progress. S!

OK, seems that replacing the PFX files in Bazar/Effects/PFX/High with the ones in BS1 does help somewhat - using the old files the BS Battle mission FPS still go lowish but stay in the 20s or so regardless. Mods / ED folks, would it be OK to release a new package with the BS1 files included to let peeps test this out?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
With all due respect, but I honestly don't think so. At least with some older driver versions ;)

With all due respect c0ff is a senior ED dev and is privy to much more technical knowledge of how this sim works (at source level) so I would tend to believe what he says :) to sum it up in one word: placebo.

OK, could well be placebo then. Gonna leave it in still, just in case - nuffink you buggers can do with superstitious savages like yours truly ;) S!

Well y'see mate, I usually approach my tweaks from a moron's viewpoint, i.e. change something -> test -> hmmm, seems to do something -> leave it in -> move on to the next. The downside, of course, is that there're probably many snakeoil entries in there as well, but as long as they don't HURT anything I've just decided not to worry about it. See as I said it's the ijit's approach to life, the universe and tweaking ;) S!

Edited by msalama

• ED Team

Conducting experiments on human test subjects is extremely difficult in general. More so in the case of testing your own perceptions.

I do understand the logic, that if there's a setting in a config file, it's there for a purpose.

Actually, in some cases it's just a leftover from some ancient code or from a design idea that had never come true. As is the case with "renderer" entry.

By the way, thanks for reminding us to clean this up.

Fascinating read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_experiment

On the subject:

In 1.2.4 graphics.cfg is replaced with a better way to keep your local settings separate from the installation folder. Some docs will be in Config/graphics_readme.txt

And, by the way, all other your settings deal with visibility ranges and make perfect sense. Sorry for not saying it right from the start.

Edited by c0ff

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

deal with visibility ranges and make perfect sense

Yeah, that's what I've been concentrating on mostly, and YES, there surely are some entries in there that may have done something originally (talk about Lockon, BS1 etc.) but don't anymore. So yeah, please do clean up the configs if you've got the time - would clarify many things at our end too ;)

S!