Solved: Stutter Cause: SSD

Lange_666

I'm not 100% with the solution but at least it works.

For some reason i can't install Windows 7 on an SSD without having stutter in DCS (other sims like ROF or games cause no problem).

This is the second time i try this and with the same result, Win7 on the SSD, stutter in DCS (wether it's installed on the SSD or on HD doesn't matter). Win7 on HD, DCS on SSD (or HD) no stutter.

I already gave this a try last year and had to swap things around too, i decided to give it another go since my system up for a new install (it got lazy after the latest security update for IE8 and no way to turn that back).

So new install, firmware update for the SSD, Win7 on the SSD (worked flawless), loading was superfast. Installed everything step by step without problem until i installed DCS (on HD first). Ran DCS and hopla... stuttercity, long 1-2 sec pauses, not caused by loading stuff but by the system somehow. Pulled out all my tricks to get rid of this stutter and although i could lower them (like by turning off TrackIR), they were still prominent. And only in DCS for some reason!!!

After a 3 week struggle i decided to re-do everything from scratch with the same result. So yesterday evening i decided to go back to the old sequence of installation, the OS on the HD and DCS on the SSD and after the normal waiting/rebooting/waiting/updating/waiting/rebooting process... hopla... stutters gone.

Somehow i can't make DCS work correctly when Win 7 is installed on SSD.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Thanks for posting. I hope others can reply and comment on this being an isolated issue or not. It could impact my decision on where to install what when I build my new computer.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Hi , thanks for sharing. I have Windows 7 on SDD too and I experience stutters like this (1-2 seconds) too. I've got a decent machine so I'm a bit surprised... I have re-configured my graphic settings recently, but haven't played for a week, so I'm not sure if it's still there...

Hi , thanks for sharing. I have Windows 7 on SDD too and I experience stutters like this (1-2 seconds) too. I've got a decent machine so I'm a bit surprised... I have re-configured my graphic settings recently, but haven't played for a week, so I'm not sure if it's still there...

LOL, it won't go away by not playing it for a week, it will be still be there...:smartass:

Believe me, i tried everything i could find to solve it but no joy. Drivers, SSD tweaker settings, you name it, all no joy. The moment i remove the OS from the SSD (by a new installation), the problem is gone. I re-installed Win 7 and DCS in various configs over the last 3 weeks and always with the same result: OS on SSD, DCS stutters. OS on HD, no stutters in DCS (in fact it don't matter where DCS is installed, SSD or HD, as long as the OS is on the SSD, it gives me these 1-2 sec stutters in DCS.)

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Not sure if it means anything, but I'd be interested to know where your swap file was located for each installation...

Are you leaving it to the default (system managed, on the same HD as the OS), or are you setting it up manually? Is so, where?

I tried every possible setting, on the SSD, on the HD, system managed, fixed, no swapfile, small swapfile, big swapfile, write cache on/off, pre- and superfetch enabled/disbaled and all the other tweaks, you name it. All i could find that could solve the issue i tried. No joy when the OS was installed on the SSD.

Edited by Lange_666

Very odd - I've never had that problem with my SSD.

Nate

Lucky bastard... it's not about you don't having it but me suffering from it and more... why...LOL!!

This is the thread i started in the A-10C forum just over a year ago, dealing with the same problem. Don't mind about me telling i got it or found the solution, sometimes i didn't wait long enough for the stutter to show and i was a bit to quick to decide it was solved. Sometimes i could fly for a while without stutter kicking in and if i didn't fly long enough to test, i thought it got solved. Also, adding TrackIR makes your sims more prone to stuttering because you can turn your viewpoint in against the motion of the screen which can cause some extra stutter because suddenly the scenery has to move a lot faster across the screen. So if you turn if off, you might think hey... solved... but in fact it isn't.

In the end, i ended up in the same position i was in for the last 3 weeks with 2 differences, new intel driver and new SSD firmware... ---> no joy.

OK I have installed DCS on two separate SSD's (Two different capacities and 2 different brands)

Running WIN7 64-bit Ultimate and have had no issues with it..

It may not be the SSD, it may be using an SSD with the SATA controller on your mainboard. Maybe a controller issue. Be sure you have the latest and greatest drivers for the mainboard controller.

If that doesn't work:

If you have the means, try picking up a PCI-express SATA card running 6gb and see if the issue persists..

Also, make certain that you load SP1 and all of the MS patches when you reload the OS as there are quite a few of them and it is important that the system is fully up to date..

I see you have updated your firmware so that should be OK...

What video card are you using? Latest driver installed?

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

I also have Win7 (x64), an SSD & had problems with 1 second stutters.

Could not resolve it...it appeared with a DCS Wolrd upgrade and then the problem just vanished with another DCS World upgrade...... I have no idea how what or why. But Win7 & DCS are on my SSD,

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

Running WIN7 64-bit Ultimate and have had no issues with it..

It may not be the SSD, it may be using an SSD with the SATA controller on your mainboard. Maybe a controller issue. Be sure you have the latest and greatest drivers for the mainboard controller.

I do have the latest driver (and those before them en those before them and those before them...), no joy. If it's the SATA controller (which can always be) why does it only give throuble when the OS is installed on the SSD? I already tried on switching ports, sitting on it's own or with another device, all no go.

If that doesn't work:

If you have the means, try picking up a PCI-express SATA card running 6gb and see if the issue persists..

Not really an option because the GTX480 has to move and since this is a card which really runs hot, i need optimal cooling when under high load. Due to the design of the case, moving it or placing another card nearby is not an option. Also, i have had it a bit with re-installing stuff once again. I'll wait until my next "full" hardware upgrade.

Also, make certain that you load SP1 and all of the MS patches when you reload the OS as there are quite a few of them and it is important that the system is fully up to date..
Win 7 is up to date!

I see you have updated your firmware so that should be OK...

What video card are you using? Latest driver installed?

Video specs in my signature, used drivers from anywhere near 180,xx until the latest, no joy.

I'm not 100% with the solution but at least it works.

For some reason i can't install Windows 7 on an SSD without having stutter in DCS (other sims like ROF or games cause no problem).

This is the second time i try this and with the same result, Win7 on the SSD, stutter in DCS (wether it's installed on the SSD or on HD doesn't matter). Win7 on HD, DCS on SSD (or HD) no stutter.

I already gave this a try last year and had to swap things around too, i decided to give it another go since my system up for a new install (it got lazy after the latest security update for IE8 and no way to turn that back).

So new install, firmware update for the SSD, Win7 on the SSD (worked flawless), loading was superfast. Installed everything step by step without problem until i installed DCS (on HD first). Ran DCS and hopla... stuttercity, long 1-2 sec pauses, not caused by loading stuff but by the system somehow. Pulled out all my tricks to get rid of this stutter and although i could lower them (like by turning off TrackIR), they were still prominent. And only in DCS for some reason!!!

After a 3 week struggle i decided to re-do everything from scratch with the same result. So yesterday evening i decided to go back to the old sequence of installation, the OS on the HD and DCS on the SSD and after the normal waiting/rebooting/waiting/updating/waiting/rebooting process... hopla... stutters gone.

Somehow i can't make DCS work correctly when Win 7 is installed on SSD.

Thats Windows 7 and DCS Fighting over SATA Channel Bandwidth.

Or your SouthBridge/SATA Controller cant handle running both at the same time on the same channel.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• ED Team

I have 2 60gb SSD's One is used for my OS and the other is purely for DCS stuff, and it runs great :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Perhaps it's an good idea to post what make/model SSD you have..Perhaps it's something in the actual production of it that is causing the stuttering.. Just an idea..

Kingston SV100S2 128GB (it's in my signature).

I have 2 60gb SSD's One is used for my OS and the other is purely for DCS stuff, and it runs great :)

Because they are on separate channels :)

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

@ SkateZillaHDStudios: Mine are also on separate channels. The OS on the SSD, DCS on an HD on another channel. As long as the OS is on the SSD, the stutter is there. The moment i switch them around (OS on HD and DCS on (same) HD or SSD the stutter is gone).

@ HiJack: Yes / Yes (and the latest atm and before that older ones).

In the future please google the item and search for issues. I just spent 30 seconds and found multiple folks complaining about this very SSD and none of them are running DCS on them. This is a firmaware isue with the particular drive you have bought... Please do a search of your drive and stutter... Your comments here come up first, but keep looking and you will find MANY people with the same issues... Try the Kingston site and work with them to resolve the issues..

RAMBO

@outlawal2: FYI: I contacted Kingston almost directly a year ago when i first bought the SSD and we had a nice chat going on through e-mail about this problem. I still have all the e-mails with their suggestions and things i needed to check and do. It didn't help.

In fact, i searched not only for 30 seconds but over 3 weeks (and last year for over a month) so i know what is out there.

If you're such a smartass then, why does none of my other sim/games have this problem? BTW, i did do a google (more then one actually), this time and last time but you can do that for any type of SSD brand and you will get the same results for those other brands. In fact, if you google, you can find a problem for almost anything that exists in the world.

My post is not a cry for help, just a solution for people who might suffer from the same problem. And, i didn't say anywhere that it was a DCS problem, i only stated that i had stutter when the OS was installed on the SSD. That's all. For the moment with the OS on HD and DCS on the SSD it runs just fine.

@outlawal2: FYI: I contacted Kingston almost directly a year ago when i first bought the SSD and we had a nice chat going on through e-mail about this problem. I still have all the e-mails with their suggestions and things i needed to check and do. It didn't help.

In fact, i searched not only for 30 seconds but over 3 weeks (and last year for over a month) so i know what is out there.

If you're such a smartass then, why does none of my other sim/games have this problem? BTW, i did do a google (more then one actually), this time and last time but you can do that for any type of SSD brand and you will get the same results for those other brands. In fact, if you google, you can find a problem for almost anything that exists in the world.

My post is not a cry for help, just a solution for people who might suffer from the same problem. And, i didn't say anywhere that it was a DCS problem, i only stated that i had stutter when the OS was installed on the SSD. That's all. For the moment with the OS on HD and DCS on the SSD it runs just fine.

Hmmm ouch... Sorry if I came across like a smart ass that was not my intent.. I was simply saying that this particular SSD has known issues regarding stuttering and that it is intrinsic to the drive not DCS... As for your question as to why only DCS that I cannot answer, I just know that SSD's are damned finicky and that research needs to be done before purchasing. (Clearly you did all that so I apologize for making the situation worse for you with my suggestions..) :(

Hey, another suggestion/question whatever.. (I am a glutton for punishment) Have you tried using the SSD alone and installing both just to the SSD? And be sure to remove the other HD entirely. SSD alone. Also unplug any DVD drives as well so you only have the SSD connected. (If you did and I missed it sorry..) But I have seen many SSD's have issues when used with more than one drive and usually if it has issues it will have them when paired with a non-SSD drive... (Which is of course how just about EVERYONE wants to use them! Fast SSD for OS and big friggin standard drive for storage... ) If it works OK with JUST the SSD then it may be a SATA issue rather than the drive itself..

Edited by outlawal2

RAMBO

No problem outlawal2. Initially i wanted an OCZ Vertex SSD but that was not available in the stores in my vicinity so i went for the Kingston instead. Even you say that you've seen SSD's have many issues. I assume that it where not all Kingston drives...

This time i first installed Win 7 and DCS together on the SSD but still it gave problems. I must say that there where 2 HD's still installed at that time (on different channels to rule out conflicts) but i must admid that i didn't try without them attached nor did i disconnect the CD/DVD-burner. But i don't think it will solve much since it works great with everything attached as long as Win7 isn't installed on the SSD drive. I find this a bit weird therefore i'm still looking (hoping) for one who has the same setup (same SSD/HD and MB) and got it working. I would like to know what's the difference then.

As said, i can live with the way it is setup right now (although i would loved Win7 on the SSD instead) until the next big hardware overhaul.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I had the same problem, and i thought that was the SSD but the problem was the "core parking".

In my case i solved it in this way:

Open Regedit

Find:

"0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583", ValueMax "Change" "64" to "0"

F3 to search the next, one for energy plan that you have in your machine. All of them change 64 for 0

Find:

"ea062031-0e34-4ff1-9b6d-eb1059334028" "Change Attributes" "1" to "0"

F3 to search the next, one for energy plan that you have in your machine. All of them change 1 for 0

I hope that it helps ;)

Edited by GreenD

Good tip, i'll try it next time i have to (or willing to) install my system again from scratch.

On the other hand, why does the problem does not occur (ie does core parking does not cause stutter) when the OS is on the HD?

The values in the registry are the ones you mentioned but i have set up power management to max power from start and even changed all the settings in that overall profile so max power is available at all times.