Mission Editor ? - What is the diff between ROE & Alarm State?

Wrecking Crew

I do wonder when I should use advanced waypoint action of ROE vs. Alarm State?

What is the difference? TIA! TGIF!

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Alarm State is basically a readiness level.

-Green = Group is not combat ready. Sensors/weapons are stowed.

-Red = Combat ready and actively search for targets

-Auto = Automatically switch between the two states based on the presence of bad guys.

ROE = Rules of engagement.

-Hold fire = Wont attack

-Return Fire = if attacked, shoot back. Once tripped it basically goes into weapons free

-Weapons free= attack if in range

Alarm states are most useful for air defense systems, especially those with radars. Switching the alarm state from red to green essentially toggles the radar from on to off.

Both settings will affect the other.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Thanks again Grimes,

Good to understand about activating radars With the Alarm State - I tried to get a radar spinning on its own in a mission and couldn't get it to work - now I know how.

Confirming the interaction clarifies the Alarm State vs. the ROE.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Grimes are Alarm States all working correctly?

They were flakey a few patches ago.. which has led me to avoiding them.

Basically will state stay Green if set until you allow it to go otherwise. i.e will it stop AI from engaging.

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

v.1.2.1.6288

The reason I'm asking is I need to replace the now gone lost Unarmed Watchtower (also Unarmed House).

I figure I can use the Armed Watchtower and set its Alarm State to Green And ROE = Weapons Hold. Do I *need* both?

I am using these objects as 'intelligence video feeds' in enemy held territory. The units are also Immortal And Invisible. I suspect these units will provide Fog Of War visibility of nearby enemy units.

WC

No you don't need both. For a watch tower i would just use: Weapons hold/hold fire (whatever it is called). And it will never fire.

(I found in the past the ROE worked well but the Alarm State was a little buggy)

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

I had to open the mission up with v.1.1.1.1 and do the replacing there before I could open it successfully in v1.2.1. I managed to eliminate the BIG FAT WARNING entries from these lost units.

FYI - In the ME.log, however - there are a lot of Unknown Main entries with Add Value To String - showing for groups zones and triggered messages. Hmm, can't upload the me.log - says 'invalid file'.

WC

I'm good - I see the same kind of Main Unknown records in v1.1.1.1 Me.logs. All my missions will open and Save As correctly w/ no more BIG FATties.

WC