Start up Sound

Mike Busutil

I love the DCS Mustang : Thumbup:

but....

The engine run's WAAAAY too smooth when it fires up.... Idle is nearly perfect no matter the temperature and the idle blade speed looks to fast to me because the idle is too high (At least visually) the real Merlin V12 is capable of a low idle after the initial start up when the pilot pulls the throttle back from the 1" open start position".

Example:

Anyone else agree? Maybe it's just me. : Music_whistling:

Edited by Mike Busutil

This one's always been my favorite startup soundwise. :)

6aLfq8n61Fk

Another good one.

FBszBEKpufc

Edited by Blaze

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Thoughts after watching the videos above.

I suspect most of them are not cold starts - that the engine is already warm. Warm start - you can idle slow. Cold start - you have to keep the revs up till it is warm.

Think about your own car...

The aircraft in post 5 seems to be cold - and that idles high.

Cheers.

Um, the P-51 in that one video doesn't even have a Merlin in it ... and the airframe is 80% scale.

At any rate, trying to use video as an example of what an engine should sound like is absolutely pointless, because they sound little like the videos when you're there in person.

Well the point of this thread is comparing what they sound like IRL compared to how they sound in DCS. Also, the video in post 2 was meant as a joke, in case you didn't get it.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Thanks for starting this thread, as a mater of fact I've been complaining about this for the past 2 weeks or so (in other threads). As it is now the mustang is missing some "life",no smoke and an "electric" engine being the worst part.

Good thing is the devs seem to listen to good criticism, so, fingers crossed!

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Thanks for starting this thread, as a mater of fact I've been complaining about this for the past 2 weeks or so (in other threads). As it is now the mustang is missing some "life",no smoke and an "electric" engine being the worst part.

Good thing is the devs seem to listen to good criticism, so, fingers crossed!

It seems to idle very high, which is odd.

<VAAF>

Virtual Australian Air-Force :thumbup::joystick::pilotfly:

Not sure if you guys are familiar with A2A simulations... but check out their start up procedure at the the 12:23 mark.

Wow...a lot of details there, even a virtual mechanic that fills out the squawk sheet with hardware issues "he" discovers, which persist from flight to flight! Wait, isn't that one of the nice things about being at home launching FSX instead of out at the airport?!?! ;)

S! TX-EcoDragon

...and the idle blade speed looks to fast to me because the idle is too high...

I have not had the oppurtunity to see a Merlin running in real life. However, unless you've had such a chance, I would urge caution comparing apparent idle speed in a video to real life/renderings. Because a video is captured at a defined FPS, it can play significant tricks of perception in regard to percieved speeds (based on relationship of RPM as multiples of FPS).

This illusion is what's responsible for videos like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5POy9iKtPA&feature=related) of helicopters rotor blades appearing motionless. It is also responsible in most cases when it looks like a proppellar or car wheel is turning backwards.

Simulators are rendered on to a screen with a defined FPS (refresh rate), but generally not at an absolutly fixed FPS. So, while you can see similar effects from simulation/rendering, it's less prevelant.

I understand FPS and video perception in regard to perceived speeds... I have seen a handful of Merlins running and they do indeed have a much slower visual blade speed at idle.

Edited by Mike Busutil

A2A are the masters of wwII immersion and a large part of it is sound replication including cough and sputtering and the SMOKE! Im guessing the P51 here is brand new? dont see any scuff marks and wear so its smoother having just arrived from the factory

Apples and Oranges here..:music_whistling:

[/Table]

Recruiting for Aerobatic Team/Fighter Group...

A2A are the masters of wwII immersion and a large part of it is sound replication including cough and sputtering and the SMOKE! Im guessing the P51 here is brand new? dont see any scuff marks and wear so its smoother having just arrived from the factory

A2A aircraft are indeed exceptional - I would love to see their P-40 and Spitfire developed for DCS - I would certainly be first in the queue to buy them. However, no matter how good the addon is, there's no escaping the FSX engine. In normal operating windows, the A2A aircraft are fine. But, if you push the aircraft to it's limits, the mask they put on is ripped off and that horrible FSX engine rears it's ugly head once again.

To put it another way, you can have the best jockey in the world but, if you're riding a 3 legged horse, you aren't going to win ;)

Bring A2A to DCS and we'll have, in my opinion, the best available combination :)

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...