Is there Memory Leak in DCS World 1.2.1?

Kuky

I just flew the default Single player Su-25T mission Command Post Strike and while I was RTB-ing I got a game freeze for about 30-40sec while sound was still going... in the background I could then hear Windows "bing" soung and then mission stopper, and game menu reloaded (so it was no CTD).

I then closed the game, and I could see on my desktop Microsoft Windows warning message

98806322.jpg

So I am amaised that with 12GB or RAM I got out of memory message?! And this is a first in any DSC World version.

I had a loot at DCS crash file and it only had this in it:

# -------------- 20121013-124704 --------------

# E06D7363 at FDFECACD 00:00000000

Does it help if I post my PC specs and/or in game settings, I would think it's not required since it's not a game crash because of the game, but because my system RAM was all used up, and surely DCS does not use that much RAM, so there has to be memory leak, right?

No longer active in DCS...

Next time when this happens, please open TaskManager, switch to Processes-tab, activate "Memory-WorkingSet", "Memory-PrivateWorkingSet", "Memory-PagedPool" and "Memory-NonPagedPool" columns (View -> Select columns) and include screenshot.

Based on info you supplied up to now, it is not possible to decide what used your memory. Might be DCS, but also a lot of other processes running in background...

Specs in the signature is always a good idea...

Kuky, it could be AERO Assessment ("Performance Information and Tools" in the Control Panel in Windows 7) tool kicked in. ?

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Next time when this happens, please open TaskManager, switch to Processes-tab, activate "Memory-WorkingSet", "Memory-PrivateWorkingSet", "Memory-PagedPool" and "Memory-NonPagedPool" columns (View -> Select columns) and include screenshot.

Based on info you supplied up to now, it is not possible to decide what used your memory. Might be DCS, but also a lot of other processes running in background...

Thanks for reply, I've run same mission again and was watching Task Manager, at mission start usame was 3.77GB and it was slowly going up during mission but not as fast to warant all 12GB of RAM being used up... all it went up to was 4.15GB.

I'll see to take screenshot of TaskManager window if it happens next time, problem is I don't keep it open all the timem, if this odes happen again and I was not monitoring Task Manager, will it show history of RAM usage after the DCS has crashed... I would think it will not so don't know how taking screenshot of TaskManager AFTER would help?

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm this crash as well. The game runs fine till I reach the airfield and take out one command post. Around then, either when watching the bombs impact or afterwards when I purse the wingman to attach the other bunker, the game just freezes. This is the 5th time I tried it. No mods...everything default. The game freezes and u can still only hear sound. Memory I could only check once and it went up to only 4.5GB, but I have 8gb. Something wrong with mission or the game itself.

Update:

Just realized...the very first time I tried this mission, the red AI did a great job and killed all the threats and targets without any losses. The mission ran fine.... I ran out of fuel and just crash landed at home base....but the next 3 times I tried the mission, some of the red sorties were hit...and I noticed the AI jet kept climbing and flying in atleast 2 of those 3 instances. Perhaps this has to do with the crash.

Screen_121025_011726.jpg

Edited by Witchking

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

You could be onto something Witchking... the time I had this crash and out of memory error I saw the AI climb indefinitely also... maybe this is causing it somehow? I haven't tried that mission again, and second time I played it I managed to RTB without game freeze or this out of memeory error. In fact this was one time I ever got this out of memeory error.

I believe that error is related to "Virtual Memory" and not your "Physical Memeory". It happens sometimes as the system holds programs pages in

memory for faster access times. Like if you leave PC on all the time and surf the net. then go to play a game, the programs that you called up are still in "Virtual Mem." Although this should not take down a program I have seen that error message before. I just attributed it to Virtual Memory and kept going.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Well...but this is the first ever time since I have gotten DCS World (from the first release) that I had a freeze like this. I have come across full crashes...but not this and this never happened in any of the instant start missions as generally, I am the one who gets shot first.. :p I think the AI needs to be made a bit more resilient, they eject at the first sign of trouble or drop their ordinance, they need some virtual balls. :p

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|