Targeting Air Defense Systems

LtMacGowan

I've tried several times to complete the Campaign's first mission Devil's Cross 1 but I am having a significant problem in identifying, and destroying the SAM/AAA units before I'm knocked out of the sky.

I can only carry 6 mavericks not enough to take them all out.

Please help this is really become discouraging.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Don't sweat it really. Some changes to the mission scripting mechanisms throughout the patches means the SEAD flights aren't doing their jobs in the campaign and make a bunch of hard missions even more punishing. This was the big reason this campaign and The Shore were removed from the final product. I've inquired about this before, and the creator of these missions has said they have some difficulties finding the time to bring these missions up to the standards of the current patch, so it's wait-and-see.

Hi!

I'm just a lurker / newbie so I'm not sure how much weight my advice will hold however I have learned the hard way plenty of times.

The A-10 doesn't really excel at SEAD so you can use the radio menu and select F10 to call in a commited SEAD flight, once called in they will search for and kill enemy radars and SAM units on their own.

I tend to save my Mavericks for the main target or any air defences I spot around it. I've found that I survive a lot longer by simply avoiding air defences by either staying at 3/4000 or way up at 15/20000 depending on how heavy I am.

or you can open the ME, remove the SAM units altogether and save the mission. some people would object saying A-10 s also perform SEAD, well, its not mentioned in the manual, not the primary task portfolio, and certainly, not realistic at all..

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

.........some people would object saying A-10 s also perform SEAD......

And they would be correct.

......and certainly, not realistic at all..

Gulf-War A10 pilots will disagree:

Re Wart-Weasels, see pg 78 onwards:

The U.S. Air Force in the Kuwaiti Theater of Operations

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

And they would be correct.

The exception does not make the rule. Situations that are out of the ordinary should not be used as a basis to infer such events take place as part of normal operations.

Or, in a simpler way. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

While it is correct to say that, during Operation Desert Storm A-10As were indeed tasked against SA-2, SA-3, SA-6, etc. it was not and is not a role they either train for or are intended to be tasked with. At least not in the sense that most people on this forum assume.

EDIT:

Even in the Gulf, the Hogs were only tasked with those missions in the knowledge that due to several factors (poor sam operator training, HARM filled skies, etc.) they were at a much reduced threat from said systems. And they flew along with dedicated HARM carriers, which would ensure the system remained suppressed so that the hogs could take it out.

Edited by Eddie

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Looks like they were only able to attack the SAMS because the Iraqui's were afraid to turn the radars on. They were also accompanied by F4 wild weasels which would attack the radars if they were turned on.

Edited by Hamblue

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

Looks like they were only able to attack the SAMS because the Iraqui's were afraid to turn the radars on. They were also accompanied by F4 wild weasels which would attack the radars if they were turned on.

Read further on. The attack against the Tawakalna Division of the Republican Guard's SA-2's and SA-6's and others were conducted without Wild-Weasel support. Strikes were also specifically directed at Radar sites.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'