Accepted to Officer Training School.

Graves0922

Thanks to DCS, my obsession with flying, and lack of available career options in my field, I applied and was accepted into the USAF Officer Training School to become a CSO - Combat Systems Officer. (My first choice was Pilot :()

Any tips/suggestions/words of wisdom from any board members (active or retired USAF) on what to expect when going through OTS-IFS-UCSOT?

Or how to avoid getting sick while someone else is on the controls? :puke:

grats man!!!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

CSO is better, pilot will have to listen to you :) Pilot is just a bomber driver, you're the brain there.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

CSO is better, pilot will have to listen to you :) Pilot is just a bomber driver, you're the brain there.

I've been told:thumbup:. I'm not really bummed about it as my previous post may have implied. The timeline to get this far has almost been a year so I'm excited just to get things moving.

I very positively envy you your new career, please keep us posted and if you do it any lesser then top excellence I will personally find you and punish you :) I wished to join USAF, although I'd never be an officer since I am not American, but still, really wished to be loadmaster on C-17. They rejected me due to fact I served in foreign forces (even if we are allias).

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

What does a CSO do? Is that a ground crew?

Or does it actually fly in the aircraft but do the bombing and shooting? I guess even if a CSO is in charge of weapons, he should also be able to fly the aircraft, right?

CSO is aircrew and being able to fly the aircraft is not part of the skill set required.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Systems_Officer

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

congrats on this.

just a shame you had to take 2nd best twice, one with the CSO and the other the Airforce...LOL>>

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

I know some of the initial training will have us fly the DA-20, but once I go into CSO school we'll be sitting in the back of T-6's and T-1's telling the pilots what they need to do.

I think being able to fly the aircraft depends on the platform. I know the F15E's have dual controls so CSO's are able to fly from the back if needed...And maybe B-1s. I'm not sure about anything else.

@Goodnight - Lol :D

All the Best to you and my thx for your coming service.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

Congrats! Speaking from an enlisted experience, just keep your eye on the ball and be ready to exercise extreme patience. And please treat the enlisted guys with respect. :)

I very positively envy you your new career, please keep us posted and if you do it any lesser then top excellence I will personally find you and punish you :) I wished to join USAF, although I'd never be an officer since I am not American, but still, really wished to be loadmaster on C-17. They rejected me due to fact I served in foreign forces (even if we are allias).

Shamandgg, I was a flying crew chief on 17s and I worked with loads who were from various nations around the world. I can't believe they didn't accept you.

you're sad that you're a CSO? I mean, you are the guy dropping all the bombs, CoD style baby!!! Hit the tires and light the fires!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 1 month later...

Got the flight physical completed today. Almost passed out from 7 vials of blood being drawn. I don't think it would have been so bad if they didn't make me fast 12 hours prior. But I passed with flying colors! :thumbup:

Now I just wait to get my class date for OTS.

Got the flight physical completed today. Almost passed out from 7 vials of blood being drawn. I don't think it would have been so bad if they didn't make me fast 12 hours prior. But I passed with flying colors! :thumbup:

Now I just wait to get my class date for OTS.

It took me almost a year of wait. ....hopefully things changed.

Yes it does take a long time.

• I started my application (pages upon pages of work history/accomplishments/background check/education/financial/medical/letters of recommendations etc) in January 2012. Took the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test (AFOQT) in March.
  • Did the basic physical and Test of Basic Aviation Skills (TBAS) in April.
  • Had an interview with my recruiters commander in May.
  • Finally finished my application package in late May and submitted it for the September Rated (Flying Only) Board.
  • Got accepted in September and went to MEPS a few more times for more paperwork and to sign my contract (minimum 6 years after training so around 8 years).
  • And now after the flight physical...wait for it to get approved and get a class date.

I guess I should be used to all the waiting but the realization that I'll be changing my life in just a couple of months is starting to hit.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the support everyone. My flight physical was finally approved. I should get a class date this month according to my recruiter. It's now been over a year since I started the process! Anywho, I bought myself a hotas warthog to hold me over until I leave. :joystick:

• 2 weeks later...

CONGRATS! I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you're already enlisted... Remember where you came from. Never forget the 18 year old pulling your chocks might be influenced to follow in your foot steps based on how you treat him.

Do ya know what airframe? MudHens?

congrats on this.

just a shame you had to take 2nd best twice, one with the CSO and the other the Airforce...LOL>>

Ignore this ^ booger eater ^ He's just mad cause he wants your job and lives in a country where "Spotted Dick" is a delicacy.

:megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.