Reading A-10 over Kosovo KEZ? Lets discuss in relation to DCS

WildBillKelsoe

Hey guys,

currently reading A-10s over Kosovo. Finished two chapters enemy actions and ROE's.

What I want in this topic, is to discuss few aspects to match in A-10C (I know they did not have Charlie at the time, it would've been better, I think)

From what I understood

, Serbs used camo vehicles, white colored civilian transport to move troops, heck they even used to set revetments and ditches near houses like 400 meters.

ROE's prohibited A-10s from engaging in urban zones unless approved by ABCCC (Airborne Battlefield Command and Control Center) which relayed back and forth to CAOC (Combined Air Operations Center).

Further, when this restriction was reduced (by reconsideration request from the then Lt. 'Goldie' Hawn to General Short, who did not like getting orders from back channels such as General Jumper), ABCCC had to approve even attacking apparently military targets, and they gave hard time to A-10s loitering on hard decks of 10,000 feet since Lt. Hawn's A-10 got a right engine cowling blown off knuckle by apparently a SA-2).

According to an account, they often had to wait 25 + minutes for approval and often had to describe the targets in question for there were needs to keep the campaign public image straight and avoid collateral damage.

Now how can we implement this in A-10C? We don't have goggles, and I think A-10A were more difficult to fly since they had no GPS, and relied mainly on INS update points, pretty much like DCS Blackshark.

Share your thoughts and ideas!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

We can't implement it... we should have the "A" model simulated, lacking all the "C" techie mumbo-jumbo to get into those pilots skin...

And remeber, that was a "no ground troops" war... so no JTAC-s... only good ol' MK-I Eyeball AFACs...

The missions should be like 8+ hours long with multiple refuellings, a simulated binocular and no TGP... and some sort of pop-up kneeboard maps... lots of 'em...

And some definite skillz would be required to engage targets with the 10000ft deck with their usual payload of the day (2xAGM-65D, 4xMK82)...

Love the story when they went for the Giraffe radar in Montenegro, flying NOE at night... all sorties like faking dumb, disregarding altitude limitation cause they interpreted the task ROEs in their own way... LOL...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

The current A-10A in FC3 should do the job ;)

(HJ)

Love the story when they went for the Giraffe radar in Montenegro, flying NOE at night... all sorties like faking dumb, disregarding altitude limitation cause they interpreted the task ROEs in their own way... LOL...

We'll get the A-10A?? SUPER!!! I hope the GAU-8 is properly simulated off Charlie. The GAU in FC2 was rubbishimo imho!!

Man you had to fry the book for me?? !!! :mad: Now I have to look for that story, dammit!!! I wanted to take my time reading the book. It is a very nice book!

EDIT: Kidding :D

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I have this book somewhere... been meaning to get round to read it. Just one of 100s i have awaiting time..

Should this be bumped up to the next to be read?

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

I have this book somewhere... been meaning to get round to read it. Just one of 100s i have awaiting time..

sure man! go ahead!

Without seeing your backlog I could not give an honest answer, but it is a very good read, as is Smallwood's "Strike Eagle: Flying the F-15E in the Gulf War".

I have the same problem but those I have already read. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

just moved on to the CSAR mission chapter. Those pilots DID suffer bad maintenance/ poor equiment back in Kosovar.. I mean for real.. Mavericks failure, radios failure..

The funniest thing is passing down the number for ejected pilot based on rank, protecting the number which is the initiation of extraction.

Another funny thing, is the tanker bogus meet. One flight had no traffic from CAOC (jamming) and had to fly all the way to tanker and positively ID using intercom (dunno if feature of boom or..) anyways, 'are you XXX?' during hook-up is indeed funny..