Plane constantly banks to the right.

bunraku

Hi.

I have an X-52 pro and within windows the stick seems centred perfectly in the configuration screen. Also within the game i have a DZ of 5. But my plane constantly banks to the right. I have even set the DZ to 20 and the same happens. Thought it might be wind but same happens on different missions.

Any idea why?

Edited by bunraku

Trim that thing! Everyone likes a little Trim :)

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

Hi.

I have an X-52 pro and within windows the stick seems centred perfectly in the configuration screen. Also within the game i have a DZ of 5. But my plane constantly banks to the right. I have even set the DZ to 20 and the same happens. Thought it might be wind but same happens on different missions.

Any idea why?

If you know how to create a mission, then create one with your aircraft starting in the air and carrying no weapons (weapons hanging off your wings will cause uneven drag unless the loadout is symmetrical). Start the flight and see what happens. If it's still pulling to the right, take a look under the sim's Options at you flight stick's flight controls. Try taking out any the rudder settings and see what happens. Those would be the two most likely issues.

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

If you know how to create a mission, then create one with your aircraft starting in the air and carrying no weapons (weapons hanging off your wings will cause uneven drag unless the loadout is symmetrical). Start the flight and see what happens. If it's still pulling to the right, take a look under the sim's Options at you flight stick's flight controls. Try taking out any the rudder settings and see what happens. Those would be the two most likely issues.

Rich

okay disabling the rudder stops the roll. I had it set at 7 & 30 so not sure what to do from here?

to be honest I dont need the rudder as the ball is centered without it but taxing would be a problem (logitech extreme)

edit

mysteriously it has cleared up

Edited by cheap charlie

Hi.

Any idea why?

Hey bunraku,

I've got exactly the same problem down to a T!

It only started happening recently as well as I don't ever recall having it pull so badly before, if at all.

I'll try the suggested rudder adjustment though.

Interesting though, something specific to the X52 Pro?

I used to have a similar problem with my x52 pro during the beta.

The solution was trim.

It's a bit annoying though,

I don't mind trimming don't get me wrong. It's the fact it used to work without it.

Now with no payload, 0 wind we have to trim :|

Alright,

Just did a few small tests.

Windows Control Panel:

Everything is centered, no jitters at all. Rudder works fine as well.

Ingame

RCtrl + Enter Menu

Everything is dead on, plane still banks to the right.

I have unplugged my X52 and it does it without the joystick as well. Short of going back to v5970 to test does anyone have any other ideas? other than trim :P

Make sure to REMOVE all the other input devices from X and Y. Only your joystick should be assigned. DCS is very eager to map up everything. During beta it assigned my TrackIR axis to yaw, that took a while to understand.

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

Yea even on a vanilla install i would go back to your options menu amd check the axis controls under a10c sim(or a10c-game if u play arcade) for any assignments to pitch/roll/yaw. Even tho your ctrl+enter appears center it doesnt take much to nudge the plane around over time. Dcs isnt the only title that assigns unused device axes to important controls, ive had that problem in tf2 as well.

If all looks good there i would look into the axis configurations in dcs control options for pitch roll and yaw and consider setting a deadzone. When you pull up the configuration window look for a black box and red boxes on a graph. The black box is what your stick is registering the red box is what the game is puting out. On default settings they stay together. If those boxes are moving at all without you touching the stick then you need some deadzone.

I use deadzone of 7 for pitch and roll and a sensitivity curve of +20 as well. This results in no uncommanded movement for me along with small corrections still being possible with small stick movements. At larger stick movements i get increasingly dramatic rates of pitch/roll which is just fine with me. Ymmv.

Yea even on a vanilla install i would go back to your options menu amd check the axis controls under a10c sim(or a10c-game if u play arcade) for any assignments to pitch/roll/yaw. Even tho your ctrl+enter appears center it doesnt take much to nudge the plane around over time. Dcs isnt the only title that assigns unused device axes to important controls, ive had that problem in tf2 as well.

If all looks good there i would look into the axis configurations in dcs control options for pitch roll and yaw and consider setting a deadzone. When you pull up the configuration window look for a black box and red boxes on a graph. The black box is what your stick is registering the red box is what the game is puting out. On default settings they stay together. If those boxes are moving at all without you touching the stick then you need some deadzone.

I use deadzone of 7 for pitch and roll and a sensitivity curve of +20 as well. This results in no uncommanded movement for me along with small corrections still being possible with small stick movements. At larger stick movements i get increasingly dramatic rates of pitch/roll which is just fine with me. Ymmv.

Hey Loki,

Thanks for the suggestions but unfortunately the problem is still there.

I have cleared every possible axis and button assignment that might have anything remotely to do with this issue, as well as having the joystick unplugged. We can rule out a deadzone issue if there are no input devices present.

The issue is very easy to replicate, create an instant mission (0 wind etc, but this has zero visible effect anyway) and the second you hit the "Fly" button .. instant drift to the right. And its not just a subtle drift either, it's quite prominent.

:joystick:

Don't know if it relates but I had a problem when running a profile sometimes via SST that would cause my aicraft to bank right hard, and trimming wouldn't help. I don't run SST since it's a pile of crap but maybe deload and reload the profile if it doesn't constantly crash and lock up like my Profiler?

Edited by SyntaxError

RimOnBlue.png

F/A-18C - A-10C - FC3 - L-39C/ZA - Ka-50 - UH-1H - Mi-8MTV2 - F-86F - Spitfire - P-51D - P-47D - BF-109K - CA

Don't know if it relates but I had a problem when running a profile sometimes via SST that would cause my aicraft to bank right hard, and trimming wouldn't help. I don't run SST since it's a pile of crap but maybe deload and reload the profile if it doesn't constantly crash and lock up like my Profiler?

Hey Syntax,

I don't use any profiles, every function is mapped directly to a joystick button via game settings. It's not the most efficient way but so far had no need to change this, at least for the A10.

Hey Loki,

Thanks for the suggestions but unfortunately the problem is still there.

I have cleared every possible axis and button assignment that might have anything remotely to do with this issue, as well as having the joystick unplugged. We can rule out a deadzone issue if there are no input devices present.

The issue is very easy to replicate, create an instant mission (0 wind etc, but this has zero visible effect anyway) and the second you hit the "Fly" button .. instant drift to the right. And its not just a subtle drift either, it's quite prominent.

:joystick:

Hers is another suggestion:

Please post short track with unplugged joystick that is showing this behaviour.

One Word:

Trim !

The attached track is yours but I took over control after 10 seconds ,

I switched the controls-indicator on (so you can see what I'm doing),

I levelled out by using the arrow keys,

and than I only hit once [RCtrl+,]=Trim Left Wing Down.

And you can see that the plane flies level without that I have to do something at all.

Now You maybe response that your load-out is symmetric and that there is now wind....

But,

there is wind - blowing straight in your face with about 260 kts

and your load is maybe symmetric in weight , but not in drag.

The two sidewinders at the right wing are responsible for :"Plane constantly banks to the right"

So once again:

Learn to trim.

Drift_Issue_Fixed.trk

Edited by PeterP

Interesting. I remember having that exact behaviour about half year ago (tmwh). I don't remember what I did to solve it but there was a solution to this. After a lengthy time off I reinstalled the game, now in "World" form. And that same behaviour is back. As designed? OK, I guess I'll trim)

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

One Word:

Trim !

The attached track is yours but I took over control after 10 seconds ,

I switched the controls-indicator on (so you can see what I'm doing),

I levelled out by using the arrow keys,

and than I only hit once [RCtrl+,]=Trim Left Wing Down.

And you can see that the plane flies level without that I have to do something at all.

Now You maybe response that your load-out is symmetric and that there is now wind....

But,

there is wind - blowing straight in your face with about 260 kts

and your load is maybe symmetric in weight , but not in drag.

The two sidewinders at the right wing are responsible for :"Plane constantly banks to the right"

So once again:

Learn to trim.

Hey Peter,

First let me start by saying that you are 100% correct and that the issue are the two sidewinders. Once they are released the plane levels again.

Now, my only question is that has anything changed recently? because I never until now had a need to trim right off the bat at the beginning of a mission. As in, it almost felt like the plane has been trimmed already. Maybe its just my imagination but a large number of my flights start airborne to save time and I could bet my left testicle this behavior wasn't there before.

As far as trim is concerned, I'm aware of how it works ;)

It's no biggie really, just curious.

Does hitting the Takeoff trim before starting help?

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down