Engine Start and Ambient Temperature

Nybble

Last night I had a shot at starting the P51 in a simulated 'hot day', where the ambient temperature was quite high, using one of the summer templates. I found that in these conditions, I was unable to get the engine started.

So I figured it would be a good chance to ask on what to do, as well as giving others an opportunity to share their knowledge regarding the P51D and different environmental conditions.

So fire away!

DCS Multiplayer Highlights Reel -

Last night I had a shot at starting the P51 in a simulated 'hot day', where the ambient temperature was quite high, using one of the summer templates. I found that in these conditions, I was unable to get the engine started.

So I figured it would be a good chance to ask on what to do, as well as giving others an opportunity to share their knowledge regarding the P51D and different environmental conditions.

So fire away!

I love starting the P51, I've started it from -20*C to +36*C but above 36 celsius things get really, really tough. I asked this question in the P51 startup thread and got this answer from Yo-Yo:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1575710&postcount=19

Essentialy, he has magic fingers and can start the engine at 40*C. I'm having a lot of fun with the engine in this thing, the complexity of it is mindblowing.

<VAAF>

Virtual Australian Air-Force :thumbup::joystick::pilotfly:

Thanks for the reply!

I'll be sure to give it another go using Yo-Yo's method.

Another thing, I am struggling to find information regarding the warm air / cold air leavers, and when you would change them. Currently I always leave them at full, and changing them in a hot / cold environment didn't seem to effect things.

DCS Multiplayer Highlights Reel -

Thanks for the reply!

I'll be sure to give it another go using Yo-Yo's method.

Another thing, I am struggling to find information regarding the warm air / cold air leavers, and when you would change them. Currently I always leave them at full, and changing them in a hot / cold environment didn't seem to effect things.

I did it! Ran the engine off primer alone to keep mixture low, the engine almost completely started (it was running quite smooth!) on primer alone, I increased the throttle and then switched mixture to run to match the demand.

<VAAF>

Virtual Australian Air-Force :thumbup::joystick::pilotfly: