International Flightsim Weekend 2012

Joe Kurr

fsw-banner2012.jpg

During the first weekend of November, the Aviodrome museum at Lelystad Airport in the Netherlands will once again host the biggest flightsim event in the world.

Over 300 participants will show the public what flightsimming is all about, from the simplest desktop to a full-blown working cockpit of an F-16, F-104 and Boeing 737.

There will even be several home-made 6DOF motion platforms on display.

For a complete list of participants and more info on opening times and entrance fees, visit http://www.fsweekend.com and http://www.aviodrome.nl

The Dutch Flanker Display Team will be entertaining the crowd with close formation flights (usually extremely low), dog fights and checkrides for those who are interested.

Since there will be no internet connection at the event, we will not be flying DCS, but sticking to FC2 instead.

[edit]

Added some pictures of last year

#1. Build-up, the v-pilots are brought in :)

IMG_8069.JPG

#2. The cockpits are set up and tested

IMG_8075.JPG

#3. The queue of visitors waiting to get in

IMG_8080.JPG

#4. Demo time!

IMG_8093.JPG

Edited by Joe Kurr
Dutch Flanker Display Team | LLTM 2010 Tiger Spirit Award

Further more, if FC3 arrives in DCSworld we won't be able to fly and show it on any LAN event with no Internet connection!

That is a sad conclusion, and we have to stick with FC2.

So ED how to solve this?

btw, a celphone is not an option, to expensive.

Hope we can have an open discussion on this matter.

Intel Core i5-9600K, Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G

• ED Team
Further more, if FC3 arrives in DCSworld we won't be able to fly and show it on any LAN event with no Internet connection!

That is a sad conclusion, and we have to stick with FC2.

So ED how to solve this?

btw, a celphone is not an option, to expensive.

Hope we can have an open discussion on this matter.

I will let the experts answer! But I think that when running DCS on a LAN, you do not have to have a continuous internet connection. You just need a one time call via cellphone, then close the connection.

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

Damn I hope to get here one day. Currently looking at visiting costs for next year. Hope you guys have a great time, good look and I hope you solve the Internet issue.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Lol, FC2 only? So much for that. ED needs to take a chill pill and drop the required internet connection. This is a really serious sim with TONS of learning curve. Anyone who seriously wanted and plays this game bought it.

FC2 is the one you should worry about being pirated. Its a game.

Edited by Wolfie

"Isn't this fun!?" - Inglorious Bastards

"I rode a tank, held a general's rank / When the Blitzkrieg raged, and the bodies stank!" - Stones.

I will let the experts answer! But I think that when running DCS on a LAN, you do not have to have a continuous internet connection. You just need a one time call via cellphone, then close the connection.

You will need the connection each time you start DCS multiplayer.

So every restart (either a reboot or a restart of DCS) needs an internet connection.

Since we live in a country where mobile internet providers charge you for every bit that you transfer, this can get quite expensive.

So if using a cellphone is the only solution, we will not promote DCS at events like the FS Weekend or Milsim.

You will need the connection each time you start DCS multiplayer.

So every restart (either a reboot or a restart of DCS) needs an internet connection.

Since we live in a country where mobile internet providers charge you for every bit that you transfer, this can get quite expensive.

So if using a cellphone is the only solution, we will not promote DCS at events like the FS Weekend or Milsim.

And you forgot to mention we are in a building that cellphone signals blocks, due to the construction of it.

Thank's Jim for hopping in, i hope ED can get to a solution very soon.

Intel Core i5-9600K, Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G

I will give a try tonight. My wife and myself playing DCS in lan, can be easily checked.

Would be great if it works that way, keep us informed

Any change of visiting the FS weekend ? (also @ Jvanes)

Just played over an hour with my wife. My conclusion is that you need connexion only to start the game. Once everyone has authentified with the "master server", you don't need further connexion.

Here is my test:

I launched a LAN game on a computer.

I connected to the lobby with my second computer and second ID.

I disconnected physically the DSL cable from my router.

I connected to the lan game

I enjoyed watching my wife crashing her SU25 over an hour, while training myself on the black shark- also connected to a CA slot.

So far here are my conclusion:

-Internet is only mandatory for authentification of your DCS copy over the network.

-If the server happen to crash, or a player return to the lobby, internet shall be needed again to access the lobby again.

-DCS is an awesome game/simulator (err... I think you already know).

-Once in-game, no internet is required unless someone crash or get disconnected.

-You really don't want to do Alt-Tab or Ctrl-Esc when you are the host. Crashing the game.

I hope this help - maybe if someone has a 3G connection he may have the LAN working there.

I'm not sure i'll be able to make it to lelystad yet but i hope you'll have a great event !

Just played over an hour with my wife. My conclusion is that you need connexion only to start the game. Once everyone has authentified with the "master server", you don't need further connexion.

Here is my test:

I launched a LAN game on a computer.

I connected to the lobby with my second computer and second ID.

I disconnected physically the DSL cable from my router.

I connected to the lan game

I enjoyed watching my wife crashing her SU25 over an hour, while training myself on the black shark- also connected to a CA slot.

So far here are my conclusion:

-Internet is only mandatory for authentification of your DCS copy over the network.

-If the server happen to crash, or a player return to the lobby, internet shall be needed again to access the lobby again.

-DCS is an awesome game/simulator (err... I think you already know).

-Once in-game, no internet is required unless someone crash or get disconnected.

-You really don't want to do Alt-Tab or Ctrl-Esc when you are the host. Crashing the game.

I hope this help - maybe if someone has a 3G connection he may have the LAN working there.

I'm not sure i'll be able to make it to lelystad yet but i hope you'll have a great event !

Thank you Darkwolf!!

Unfortunately crashes occur while flying, and we often have to use alt tab due to some bugs still remaining in DCS.

It would be very annoying to connect every time to the internet.

btw ihave 3G on my iPhone, but how can i physically connect?

Thanks for trying it out though!

See ya!

Well - i don't know. I know it's possible as i saw some customer using cell to connect their laptop online, at office, however my phone is some kind of talky walky that come from a far, far past so i'm not up to date with latest technology.

I'm still surprised they got no internet at Lelystad.

Another idea would be to get in touch with a local ISP and see if they don't have a solution for you. I know they sometime can help with temporary solutions but that may be expensive, even with cost shared between pilots

We can try to go online, I have a 3G dongle on USB.

But since we're inside an all-metal building, reception will be crappy at best.

Also, having to connect every time you restart multiplayer will quickly take the fun out of it.

It can also become quite expensive, as I pay a fee for every MB transferred.

Edited by Joe Kurr

Yes- you are right.

I use a UMTS Dongle mainly @work for my private belongings, so I can bypass the internal-network filtering...

and I use a similar collector.

I have it pointed towards a window - ...unlike to find a window in a hangar....

nevermind.

Well, since ED seems to ignore these network issues (except Jim, who unfortunately can't really help us), I conclude that we simply aren't allowed to play DCS multiplayer when there is no internet available.

This will not only have consequences for Milsim and the FS Weekend, but also for the LLTM.

As it stands now, I will not set up a DCS competition there, as I don't have any guarantee the master server will be reachable throughout the event.