Why are my AI so lazy to engage?

maturin

Giving the AI waypoints that actually result in effective employment of their weapons is a big challenge for a new mission maker like myself.

If the HARM has a maximum range of 100km, why will my F-16s only fire it at 40km or even 20km, depending on byzantine quirks of their waypoint and task setup?

For that matter, why is my full-skill S-300 battery, with an engagement envelope of over 100km, waiting until targets close within 60km?

There must be tricks for making the AI act less lazy, right?

Edit: And I'll round out this post with an even dumber question: Where is the button to change time and date?

Edited by maturin

These can all be explained by one element. Variety in engagement conditions.

Maximum ranges stated in documentations are generally maximum ranges in OPTIMUM conditions.

For Air to Air the main factor is altitude. A missile fired at 10,000ft has a far short range to one fired at 40,000ft.

Ground to air has similar variations.

This is mainly down to 'air density'.. the air is more dense the lower the altitude, due to air pressure, therefore the missile uses more energy to travel through it.

To be honest, as you become more experienced in mission making you will realise the issue is in fact the opposite to what you think.. the challenge is to stop missile being fired at their maximum range, as they are easily defeated when fired at max range. The trick is to get them to hold fire until they are at effective ranges, not max ranges. As it stands the AI by default always fire at max range.

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

And I'll round out this post with an even dumber question: Where is the button to change time and date?

Briefing button is where you change the Start time & date.

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

Giving the AI waypoints that actually result in effective employment of their weapons is a big challenge for a new mission maker like myself.

If the HARM has a maximum range of 100km, why will my F-16s only fire it at 40km or even 20km, depending on byzantine quirks of their waypoint and task setup?

For that matter, why is my full-skill S-300 battery, with an engagement envelope of over 100km, waiting until targets close within 60km?

There must be tricks for making the AI act less lazy, right?

Edit: And I'll round out this post with an even dumber question: Where is the button to change time and date?

If the SAM engages at maximum range, all the attacking pilot needs to do is turn around fly out of range and come back. And given the AI's propensity for wasting SAMs, this quickly leads to a SAM launcher with no missiles.

If the SAM engages at maximum range, all the attacking pilot needs to do is turn around fly out of range and come back. And given the AI's propensity for wasting SAMs, this quickly leads to a SAM launcher with no missiles.

But when you're defending against a SEAD strike, allowing an aircraft to come close enough to launch a fire-and-forget HARM is suicidal.

• 2 weeks later...
But when you're defending against a SEAD strike, allowing an aircraft to come close enough to launch a fire-and-forget HARM is suicidal.

Well not directly. If you don't use your radar, he can't launch his HARM.

There have been cases where SEAD aircraft where hit by a SAM altough the aircraft where carring ARMs.

An instance is the Serbian SA-3 that shoot the F-16CG (Hammer 3) during a DEAD mission.

While there where F-16CJs with HTS pods and HARMs in the air the S-125 went on air.

As a result one F-16CJ (Crack 73) detected it and launched a HARM against it, and the S-125 went off air as a result to prevent a hit.

In the meantime Hammer 3 got the target coordinates from Crack 73 and went in to bomb it, while the F-16CJs should prevent that the S-125 goes on air again.

Shortly afterwards the S-125 went on air again and illuminated Hammer 3, while he was defending an AAA. Hammer 1 went in to kill the AAA.

About 45 seconds later the S-125 went on air for the last time and started target tracking.

Shortly after the S-125 started target tracking it fired, and after a flight time of 19 seconds the missile hit.

ON Air time was 51 seconds where 32 seconds where target tracking and 19 seconds where missile guidance.

This shows what a (old) SAM site can do even while it is engaged by a DEAD flight. Ofcourse also the radar battery commander was probably 'above standart', he also got the F-117.

John

PS: I just wanted to give an example. It should not show express my political views, and I don't want to judge whoms fault the situation was.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled