Shkval slew speed. Axis suggestion for TM warthog?

Quirkitized

I'm attempting to get the Shkval slew speed more in line with how the TGP is on the A10. I copied the A10 axis settings and it worked okay but not that precise, especially when in the narrow FOV. I have the TM hotas warthog.

Anybody have a recommendation on the settings I should use? If I could get it as close as possible to the keyboard that would be awesome.. Can't quite get there yet, either too fast or too slow.

Edit: I should note that I am using the same ball axis on the TM warthog throttle for the skhval as for A10 (default). I know I could use a different HAT switch and just assign the buttons, but would prefer the axis if possible.

Try this for the X and Y axis of the Slew in the TM warthog:

Y Saturation: down to 15 (10 to 15)

Dead zone: 2

No curves.

It works well (with a Sat of 15), but sometimes I have to use the keyboard if the target range is over 6-8 km.

If you use a saturation of 10 it wil be easy to lock distant targets but the shkval will move much slower.

Why no curves? It should be easy with this values plus a curve of +20, but the Shkval doesnt register the small imput of the first 2/3 of the curve.

Edited by JorgeIII

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.

You can eliminate the built in dead zone of the Shkval by using custom curve for axis and using 5 as the first value. Any slight movement of the hat will then make the value jump over the deadzone giving nice fine control near the center position. I have a shallow slope most of the way and then suddenly turning into a very steep one near the limits to give a fast slew ability if I push the hat all the way. My custom curve for Shkval axis is like this: 5 6 8 10 12 16 22 30 41 60 100. 5-30 are values useful for aiming, higher than that is only useful for fast slewing to quickly change the rough direction of the camera.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

Thanks Bushmanni, I'll try your custom curve values myself. You leave Y saturation at 100, right?

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.

Your're right Quirk. The axis tunes Bushmanni and I posted are better than the one copied from de A-10 but not good enough (lack of precision).

I enhanced the axis curve and managed to get the same precision of the keyboard.

Values:

Y Saturation:56

Dead zone: 13 (you must use a deadzone so the slew x & Y axis don't mix up)

Custom curve: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 17, 40, 60, 80, 90.

Try it and enjoy, :thumbup:.

Basicaly I looked for the smallest amount of movement I could get on the shkval with an axis. Using a saturation of 100 the smallest movement of the Shkval correspond to a custom curve value of 6. Under 6 the Shkval wont move, and over 6 it becomes too sensitive too quickly. So I made a flat curve with many 6 in the first 2/3. Then I found it worked better with a lower saturation. I used 56. The smallest custom curve value wich would move the Shkval with a saturation of 56 is 10.

This value still moves the shkval a little too much, is up to ED to correct this.

Edited by JorgeIII

• 3 months later...

It's funny because I've just been mapping the keyboard keys to my Thrustmaster Hotas X's single hat and hadn't really noticed how slow using the keys/hat is.

I just tried using one of the sticks on my Xbox360 controller mapped to the Shvkal axes instead and used Jorge's suggested settings, simply because I don't really know what I'm doing with the curves or how the Shvkal should "feel" using an analog stick so I had to start somewhere!

It's probably too sensitive, with it quite hard to move the stick just a small amount for fine corrections but it's amazing how fast I can move the Shvkal using the stick compared to the keys. So I guess I just need to find a balance that allows both fine and fast control easily.

Until then I'll just map the other stick on the controller with the keys so that I can use that for fine control if needed.

I'm using Xpadder which complicates matters a bit as that has deadzone and diagonal size settings to worry about as well. Whilst it is possible to remove either or both sticks from Xpadder, so that they're not processed by it at all, a) that's a controller-profile, not a game-profile, setting so I'd have to manually keep enabling/disabling them depending on what game I'm playing and b) then I wouldn't be able to map the keys to the second stick (or the zoom/gate size keys to the d-pad).

Thinking about it, I might be able to do the first stick and the buttons mappings directly in DCSW without needing Xpadder but I don't think I'll be able to map the second stick to the Shvkal keys without it as DCSW will just see it as an axis. If I can tune the first stick so that I don't need to use the second stick at all, that would solve that problem though.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

It is normal to have different behaviour on the axis than on the keys? When i'm zoomed or in wide the sensitivity is different when using keyboard. When I zoom in the shkval and using axis then it changes shkval direction angle at the same rate as in wide (so in wide it moves slow, in zoomed in it moves too quickly). While keyboard changes the sensitivity and in zoomed it moves at the same speed (so the direction angle changes slower). It is possible to have the same behaviour on the axis like it is on the keyboard?

• 1 year later...
Your're right Quirk. The axis tunes Bushmanni and I posted are better than the one copied from de A-10 but not good enough (lack of precision).

I enhanced the axis curve and managed to get the same precision of the keyboard.

Values:

Y Saturation:56

Dead zone: 13 (you must use a deadzone so the slew x & Y axis don't mix up)

Custom curve: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 17, 40, 60, 80, 90.

Try it and enjoy, :thumbup:.

Basicaly I looked for the smallest amount of movement I could get on the shkval with an axis. Using a saturation of 100 the smallest movement of the Shkval correspond to a custom curve value of 6. Under 6 the Shkval wont move, and over 6 it becomes too sensitive too quickly. So I made a flat curve with many 6 in the first 2/3. Then I found it worked better with a lower saturation. I used 56. The smallest custom curve value wich would move the Shkval with a saturation of 56 is 10.

This value still moves the shkval a little too much, is up to ED to correct this.

Worked Like a Charm for the f15 VSD Cursor. I did the exact same for both axis. Much better than the 50 curve i had. When adjusting the Y axis does that refer to the Y (slider) for both Slew Axis (UP-Down and Left-Right)?

Thats what i ended up doing. Anyways thanks for figuing this out makes things way easier.

Just a question here: Is the SHKVL on the actual SU-25T targeted using the left or the right hand?

I assumed with the monitor being on the right side, and the joystick having hat switches, that the targeting would be done via the right, not the left hand, and thus I use the hat diagonal to the trim for skewing on my HOTAS Warthog.

I think this issue appears mostly to the low resolution controller for the mini joystick hats. I found in case of G940 this resolution is only 8 bits (sort of saying there are only 256 positions). Therefore the quality of those pots is good one.

I have dismounted an faulty nintendo nunchuck which has inside a very good quality analog hats (minijoystic). I have connected it to a BU0386 board and the result was just amazing. The SHKVAL is now very accurate in any zoom setting wtihout touching any axis tunning.

PS: I might me wrong about default resolution, I will check it again this evening. I think it is 4 bits for hat and 8 bits for throttle and pedals.

Edited by Abburo

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

I tried really hard to use the HOTAS slew ultra-mini joystick when I was learning the weapon systems, but it never worked well. I ended up reproducing -to some extent- the KA settings and now, I have only joy in my heart and fast, total destruction capacity in my right hand. Which, for some reason, does not sound less awkward than "in my stick". Sorry for that.

All of my Shkval controls are on my WH stick, along with HMS activation and Shkval uncaging, slew fonction being on the 8 dir hat. I thought the default keyboard speed was nicely done and it's exactly what I need since only the large zones swipes are performed with the HMS and TIR. The only function that stayed on the HOTAS slew thingy is the target acquisition, because I got use to it. Here's the layout, for the record:

DMS up: HMS on/off

DMS down: Uncage Shkval

DMS right: Weapon mode

DMS left: Firing rate

TMS up/down: Shkval zoom in/out

TMS left/right: increase/decrease target frame

Trim/POV hat: 8 directions slew.

It may be worth noting that I'm currently starting the A10C and think the TGP slew function can be downright infuriating, at time. But I try to get used to it the way it is intended.