Sweet Spot Server Machine

What would a solid DCS server machine be? Thinking out 3 years with today's hardware.

Today is 17-October-2012, v1.2.1.6288

If this machine is not used to fly, just serve - I don't want to adjust any files after updates, like turn off 3D Rendering - what kind of video card?

What kind of processor. A Xeon computer like for a engineering workstation or a multi-core gaming type of processor and chipset? Enlighten me/us.

Obviously a great network interface.

Great hard drive performance - I am thinking of the new Hybrid hard drives - this machine would be dedicated to the DCS server function - so the Hybrid drive flash will pick up on the most used files.

The server would only have a KB and mouse and a medium range $ monitor - but be able to serve DCS World with 32+++ clients and be able to monitor on-screen the clients and all objects (oh heck, prolly fly off the kb too :-) ).

---

How long before a dedicated *remote* DCS server application that won't require a video card?

---

Wrecking Crew

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Just a suggestion, but with the price of solid state hard drives dropping like a rock, you'll be amazed what a RAID 0 array of SSDs can do to eliminate stutter and make LOD transitions instant. Dollar for dollar, it's the best hardware improvement I've made in a decade.

Upgrading Flight Sim computers since the Apple ][.

Just a suggestion, but with the price of solid state hard drives dropping like a rock, you'll be amazed what a RAID 0 array of SSDs can do to eliminate stutter and make LOD transitions instant

Honestly, I do not think it is worth putting SSD into raid0, because... it has been done already! Nowadays every SSD had multi-channel controller, which makes "internal raid0". Moreover SSD's are so fast that even one can put your controller up to limits. Consider for example 840/pro: sequential read/write >500MB/s, that is nearly maximum your sata3-6gbit/s can handle (divide by 8 to get bytes/s, substract 10-15% protocol+system overhead).

If anything, then ram-disk makes more sense: buy 16GB RAM (that will cost you less than 2nd SSD), at boot-up copy the whole DCS-folder from SSD to ramdisk, and run it from there. *That* will sure eliminate any stuttering caused by disk i/o...

What would be the value of a hybrid drive, especially in terms of longevity?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

To increase server performance you should look in to the SSD cache options from OCZ and other SSD produsers. Base the server on one SSD cache disk and normal drives to hoste the data and applications. If you plan a new DCS World server I would wait until ED provides the long awaited dedicated server software.

(HJ)