Big HUD Font for A-10C

PeterP has been looking out for those of us (more experienced folk) with reduced visual acuity, since the early A-10 days!! :D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 3 months later...
I tried manually changing the .lue file to 44 as per Peter P's instructions but when I tried saving the change, it said denied access. It is now on line 4 of my program. What am I doing wrong.

Learjet

You have to right click on the DCS folder and then properties/security to give yourself permission. Line 4 is actually line 5 because the space counts as a line.

• 10 months later...

could this mod be done for the F15C (FC3)? it's hud is unreadable when viewing it through an oculus rift, it would make it playable. not asking anyone to do the mod (although that would be great :)), just is it possible and maybe a little help to get started...

could this mod be done for the F15C (FC3)? it's hud is unreadable when viewing it through an oculus rift, it would make it playable. not asking anyone to do the mod (although that would be great :)), just is it possible and maybe a little help to get started...

After looking at the F15 files I don't see anything available to edit that would accomplish the task.

• 1 month later...

Soooooo. As you can see I'm new around these parts..lol But I can already tell that you guys have a great forum group here! So I have two questions thus far. First in respect to the hud mod that will allow me to increase the size of the font, will it work with the Steam version of A-10C (I really hope so) because that is the version that I have.

Second, if it does infact work how exactly do I change the required K= number to make this happen. I managed to find the file that holds the secrets, however it is not quite in the same format as what you guys have been talking about. There are two long scripts at the top of the page and then on the third line there is the following Old K=78.3 (I believe that is the number) Then right below that one, which I assume is line 4 it says New K=78.3_44 . So I'm a bit confused. I did download the .rif file but have no idea what to do with it..lol. If someone could help me it would be Awesome!!! Thanks ahead guys and I look forward to posting more!!!

Edited by flightmedicFP-C

• 6 months later...
It came to my ears that some of you have great difficulties to read the HUD properly because your screen resolution is not sufficient.

....so:

Bigger HUD Font

for A-10C

BiggerHUDFontforA-10C.gif

The ReadMe.txt

I stumbled across this possibility while trying something else.

I'm not using this mod for myself and I tested it only briefly in 1.2.1,

but I'm very confident that this will not brake something else.

I wouldn't call it a "graphical enhancement" - it's more a cheat to overcome the discrepancy between RL Eye-resolution and the pixel-density of the used monitor .

It is really only for the guys that have trouble to read the HUD.

File: A-10C Bigger HUD Font.rar

Size: 138.56 Kb

[download]

Hi PeterP, it is there a way to change the hud color to RED?...the default colors are just too light for me.

Regards

Peter22

My Rig:I7 4790K OC to 4.5 GHz .Memory ram 16GB 64 Bit MOB Asus Maximus hero VII Nvidia NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 T Asus Monitor 4K at 3840x2160 Windos 10 64-bit on SDD 500 and DCS on separate SSD drive. Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog CH pro pedals

First ever try at editing a lua file.

Due to age and screen resolution I could certainly use this - however It won't let me edit the file.

Is this an error my end or are they locked now?

regards,

Gary

I5 - 1TB SSHD, 256 SSD - Nvidia 1070 - 16gb ram - CV1

Works with 1.5 :thumbup:

Just edit the #5 Line in the HUD_definitions.lua file with Notepad++ an save the file in Admin Mode (Notepad++ asks you when you want to save the file)

Big: 44

Medium: 54

Default: 73.5

All Credits go to PeterP, sorry we dont´t hear anything from him anymore

Edited by -Hammer-

Windows 10 | i7-8700K@5GHz | 2080 Ti | Intel Z370 Chipset | 32GB RAM@1866 MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w. FSSB R3 Mod | Saitek Switch Panel + Radio Panel + Multi Panel + FIP + Flightpanels Software | MFG_Crosswind | TrackIR5 | TM Cougar MFD Pack | Obutto R3volution | 1 x LG38 | GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

Works with 1.5 :thumbup:

Just edit the #5 Line in the HUD_definitions.lua file with Notepad++ an save the file in Admin Mode (Notepad++ asks you when you want to save the file)

Big: 44

Medium: 54

Default: 73.5

All Credits go to PeterP, sorry we dont´t hear anything from him anymore

More precisely, what needs to change lines?

You need a good text editor, not the standard one that comes with windows.

The best program for editing lua files is "Notepad++"

Then you open the "HUD_definitions.lua", then go to line #5 and change the "K" Value

Windows 10 | i7-8700K@5GHz | 2080 Ti | Intel Z370 Chipset | 32GB RAM@1866 MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w. FSSB R3 Mod | Saitek Switch Panel + Radio Panel + Multi Panel + FIP + Flightpanels Software | MFG_Crosswind | TrackIR5 | TM Cougar MFD Pack | Obutto R3volution | 1 x LG38 | GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You may just change the value to your preference (any value will work). It is not mandatory to use the files, they give a quick way to apply one of the presets provided by the author of this threat.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

You may just change the value to your preference (any value will work). It is not mandatory to use the files, they give a quick way to apply one of the presets provided by the author of this threat.

Thank you! I only need a little larger to resolve it but don't want it off the edge of the HUG

• 4 weeks later...

Need a way to scale down the overall rectangle of the projected HUD image onto the HUD glass. With a 4K display, putting the eye point at the correct spot (same as virtual pilot eye point near seat back - not with chin on the dash like default condition) the HUD projected image is far too large and projects beyond the HUD frame.

This is a problem with A-10A and A-10C. There is a font scaling option but it does not alter the size of overall projected foot-print of the HUD image.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2713932#post2713932

Hi,

PeterP wrote:

edit different font size in line#5.

You need a different size?

Edit \Mods\aircrafts\A-10C\Cockpit\Scripts\HUD\Indicator\HUD_definitions.lua

in line #5

Just to be sure, what is the beginning of line #5 and what do I have to typ in there ?

Maybe these questions sound silly to you, but I`m one of those "slow" beginners here !

And after opening a lua file, do I simply save it ?

Or do I have to convert it in any way ?

Thanx for your patience !!!

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

in notepad++

just change the value after the = at the end of "new_K=" to whatever you want the smaller the figure the larger the text on the HUD will be

just save it no conversion needed, but you could make it JSGME compatible so it doesn't get overwritten by updates, and to be safe save a copy of original before you edit it

Edited by Dingo_Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Modules are like Pokemon you gotta catch 'em all :joystick::lol::pilotfly:

AMD Ryzen7 3700x, G-Skills 32Gb RAM @ 3200Mhz, MSI GTX1080Ti, TM Warthog (20cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind Pedals, Oculus Rift, Track Ir5

Thank you, even me has got now !

This is really a good forum where you get help when needed.

btw. how to quote ?

:smilewink:

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet