Do jammers actually do anything?

marcos

Yeah ENO, i saw those launches on our way in to our left, and I thought, Oh yeah, it's just another Bullsh*t bug where I can pick up a launch from behind a huge hill, I'm sure the missile will just hit the hill if we stay this low and don't expose ourselves right? Then you come out into the opening and SPLAT. I was so shocked that I didn't even bother dodging the ones that came at me from around the hill. I just gave up hope. hahaha. You saw the video right Eno?

Are you actually turning on the Jammer when you need it? It will only Jam for approx 4 or 5 seconds and then turn off. The default key is "-" (The minus key)...

Not true. It will stay active all day long, if there is something for it to "jam". If you find it switching off after a few seconds it is because there is no threat system for it to jam.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Not true. It will stay active all day long, if there is something for it to "jam". If you find it switching off after a few seconds it is because there is no threat system for it to jam.

Yep, in other words what Eddie is trying to say is, it will stay on if there is something on the RWR indicating that you are under threat and can jam. If the target suddenly drops out of RWR, then the jammer turns off. The jammer will turn on for 4-5 seconds and then shut off if you are trying to turn it on when there is no threat detected on the RWR.

Yep, what he said ^

Also, keeping your countermeasures in automatic is a sure shot way of dispensing all of your chaff and flares in matter of seconds. Learn to use semi and activate it on your own accord.

Right now (in terms of ECM), you get spiked by something on the RWR, flip the jammer on, squeeze your buttcheeks, and hope for the best.

Once you're fire upon, "Left Cntrl. + E" three times should do the trick.

Missiles still track through mountains it seems... Pretty displeased with that.

You have plenty of chaff/flares to use automatic mode although it depends on the theatre and how many threats. But IMO ingress Auto is the way to go for just CAS.:thumbup: And as for the Gauntlet, you're going to run out of them anyway as there are so many threats but keeping low is the best way to survive for that mission.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

As Viper said, it will reduce the range at which units can obtain a lock (especially humans), just as it did in FC2 (AFAIK).

But as far as what ECM should do (i.e. aid in defeating missiles/breaking a lock) it doesn't do a thing. As soon as you're fired on, or even locked up, in DCS ECM is of no use at all. DCS ECM is only useful before that point, which is pretty much the exact opposite of reality (as far as self protection jammers go).

Huh, didn't know that. Are there any plans to change the behavior?

I'd rather stimulate a missile to launch outside of its envelope instead of right smack in the middle of its killzone. I don't think we have the legs to benefit from a late launch.

Okay and I'm a bit vane so I went and searched it... I thought you got hit at the same time I did? Either way nice work and great selection of music. Crew designed the taxi mission as well/ he's awesome.

Edited by ENO

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art