Particle effects explosions etc upgrade

Witchking

I assume the current ED TFSE is using a sprite based fx system to create the explosions that we see in game.

I was just googling and came across this resource. I think its a good way for ED's special effects designer to get some ideas. I think the same thing for any fire in the game (missile exhaust, muzzle flash)...it needs the orange, red in it. I know that DCS world has come a long way since Lock On first released and things will be done in due time.

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/creative/visual-arts/make-a-particle-explosion-effect-r2701

But here's another slight nudge for a better special effects system that is efficient and doesn't cause the frame drop that we see. I was just playing GTA4 and I know people will say hollywood explosions, but that is the game with the best special effects for its scale.

ExplosiveFX_MOD_V1.jpg

GTA_4_PC_Analyse_03_Explosionen.jpg

grand-theft-auto-iv-pc-screenshot-police-car-explosion.jpg

The amount of stuff the game renders is unbelievable. And no slowdowns whatsoever. Cars react to the explosion and are launched slightly in the air....imagine that as a turret exploding off a tank, tires falling off. More importantly, the colour, the flash and the different sprites for the explosion effect. 1.2.1 has gotten a fantastic upgrade with the smoke when rounds hit the ground, but it still needs tweaking and the smoke can probably be made more efficient by forcing it to use GPU and not CPU.

cheers,

V

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

And...there are systems available to license as well. ;)

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/930/#.UICvPcXA98E

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

I assume the current ED TFSE is using a sprite based fx system to create the explosions that we see in game.

I was just googling and came across this resource. I think its a good way for ED's special effects designer to get some ideas. I think the same thing for any fire in the game (missile exhaust, muzzle flash)...it needs the orange, red in it. I know that DCS world has come a long way since Lock On first released and things will be done in due time.

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/creative/visual-arts/make-a-particle-explosion-effect-r2701

But here's another slight nudge for a better special effects system that is efficient and doesn't cause the frame drop that we see. I was just playing GTA4 and I know people will say hollywood explosions, but that is the game with the best special effects for its scale.

The amount of stuff the game renders is unbelievable. And no slowdowns whatsoever. Cars react to the explosion and are launched slightly in the air....imagine that as a turret exploding off a tank, tires falling off. More importantly, the colour, the flash and the different sprites for the explosion effect. 1.2.1 has gotten a fantastic upgrade with the smoke when rounds hit the ground, but it still needs tweaking and the smoke can probably be made more efficient by forcing it to use GPU and not CPU.

cheers,

V

use to have hours of fun on that game.

Wold be cool to see sometinh like that one day.

Damn! Thats impressive on so many levels. Like like AFM for planes and missiles...Advanced explosions model. :p AEM. But perhaps that means it means a redo of damage modelling for all ground units. And it shouldn't be that hard either. I mean the damage model can have that animation built in... a turrent fly off and lie beside the tank. Imagine the battlefield in DCS after a CBU 97 run with these effects. For now..it would be a slideshow, but .... there is hope. ;p

Edited by Witchking

use to have hours of fun on that game.

Yeah! Started playing TBOGT recently. Finished GTA 4 in 72h...did a perfect run through...not re-start of missions etc. Then finished TLAD. Definitely one of the best games I have ever played. The RAGE engine is a true next generation masterpiece. The atmosphere in this game is unparalleled. The euphoria physics....man... ED needs to start licensing some of those techs to make DCS truly next gen. I think for all that though...the EDGE has to support multi core and be able to offload some things off to the GPU.

They murder the framerate, because people kept whining about not enough Hollywood boom-boom stuff. So now we have shaped charge ordnance exploding like an ammo dump and photon torpedo missile launches at 15 FPS. And I won't event comment on the smoke-screen slideshow the Mustang's .50 Cals produce. Good job! ;)

Doesn't mean we have to stick with effects from the original 2003 game. A lot of special effects need fixing/adding to make the game more "current generation". ED are making some slow progress, but this thread is just to request perhaps its time to upgrade the way the game manages effects in a more efficient manner. I am sure if IL-2 that was released along the same time frame as lomac could do so much better, ED can do it as well. Its way down on their priority list, but definitely needs addressing.

IL-2 in it's current state does not have any new effects. At least the official version. What you see in the movies is either mods, or WIP for the upcoming 4.12 patch. As for the latter one, the people who make official patches now, make every effort so that the system requirements do not change one bit, and they will not release anything until it's fully optimised. ED's last attempt to change the effects resulted in serious slow downs.

Also, the old effects in DCS were very subtle, which is actually the more realistic way to go. The explosions seen in the screens in the OP is something Hollywood does by using large amount of gasoline. ;)

Edited by mmaruda

ED's last attempt to change the effects resulted in serious slow downs.

It's not only about the effects, it's about the system you use to make those effect. It looks like DCS doesn't have a particle system, that's why smoketrail looks like a dragged toilet paper.

Also, the old effects in DCS were very subtle, which is actually the more realistic way to go. The explosions seen in the screens in the OP is something Hollywood does by using large amount of gasoline. ;)

I've seen a car burn irl, several times, and I can assure the amount of smoke and the intensity of fire is way beyond anything done in dcs world. You have to realize what is burning in a vehicle - plastics, rubber both create a thick heavy smoke.

As to the explosions, yes cars don't explode like that, but 500pounds explosion on youtube looks pretty spectacular.

The argument is basically about generation of a new system that renders particles. The idea is to prevent slowdowns. Use volumetric effects and prioritize them to the GPU. Face it, DCS uses the texture memory of a GPU, but most of it is run by the CPU. That is why the biggest increase u will get is by updating the CPU. Not to mention, it only runs on two cores, one of which just runs sound. So clearly, there is a lot more wiggle room. The introduction of nice, new bobbing water was amazing until they removed it. It shows that ED is trying to add next gen visuals to DCS, but the engine is holding them back.

yup! No argument there. Every game has scalable effects from the 90s. This can range from "lighting" due to explosions on surrounding objects/environment, number of particles, HDR, heat haze from fires, decals/deformation on ground after explosion. World in conflict had one of the best effects engines for the distance it rendered as well. Nice soft volumetric smoke that reacted to choppers flying through it etc.. I don't expect that from ED, but I think a nice medium has to be reached.

I hope we dont want any kind of hollywood-like explosions shi:t. At least i want realistic ones. there are a lot of them on youtube so please ED make them as realistic as possible like the rest of the sim.

No hollywood sh.t anymore thanks

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

32bit is in the history books, for solid playability u need the 64bit speeds these days.

In the history books of DCS...

It's a very popular fable around these forums, one that isn't reflected in the system reqs of the game.

64bit is the future, but take a glance around at other game, even demanding ones.