Good "Beginner"-Joystick for DCS

Hello,

I have started playing DCS BlackShark and Combined Arms and thinking about getting A-10.

My old joystich (a logitech one from 2002) doesn't work well on Windows 7 so I think about getting a new one.

I like the Saitek X52 but as beginner with no clue how often I will fly those simulation monsters I don't want to pay around 170 Euro for Input (better more modules ...).

So is there a good joystick you can suggest and on which I can maybe add a thruststick later?

Thanks and greetings

1. Twice as good controls = twice as much fun. Flight sims are so advanced nowadays, only your rig limits the fun!

2. Beware of the ubiquitous crap potentiometers:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=883109&postcount=7

Flight Hotas:

Programmable: the 12 buttons and 5 axles are entirely programmable.

X52:

Joystick

Precision centering mechanism, non-contact technology on X and Y axes and constant spring force reduce free play, improve control and increase durability

2-stage metal trigger; 2 primary buttons in 1 convenient position

4 fire buttons including missile launcher with spring-loaded safety cover for instant access

Conveniently positioned metal pinkie switch provides shift functionality to double up on programmable commands

2 X 8-way Hat Switches

3D rudder twist

3-position rotary mode selector switch with LED indicators

3 spring-loaded, base-mounted toggle switches for up to 6 programmable flight commands

5-position handle adjustment system to suit all hand sizes

Throttle

Progressive throttle with tension adjustment, detents for afterburner and idle

2 fire buttons

Scroll wheel with built-in button

Mouse controller / hat switch with left mouse button

8-way hat switch

2 x rotary controls

Smooth-action slider control

Clutch button initiates ‘safe mode’ to allow on-the-fly profile selection, or to display button functionality without activating

Thank you.

It looks good. Especialy for this price. But isn't the hotas stick a little bit near the stick?

Greetings

You can separate the stick from the throttle.

To everyone else-

He wants test the waters, not cannonball into the deep end.

The HOTAS X is probably the best stick out there at that price. For anyone wanting a stick/throttle combination with a decent feel without spending a lot, this is it.

If it had more buttons/hats it would be outstanding.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I use the HOTAS X and it's a fantastic joystick. However, the lack of hats make playing A-10 difficult. Using the keyboard to slew and such is kind of a pain.

Eventually I'll get the Warthog stick but for A-10, I think the X52 would have been a better choice.

i7 2600 - 8G RAM - 570 GTX - SSD - T.Flight HOTAS X - TrackIR 5

Flying: P-51D

Videos

Why buy a stick that only serve you for 2 hours? After 2 hours of random flight you discover the key mapping list and realise that you can't use the stick for this. Buy an adwanced stick and sell it on ebay if you don't like it. Or even better, keep all the original wrapping and use the 30 day return policy!

(HJ)

Why buy a stick that only serve you for 2 hours? After 2 hours of random flight you discover the key mapping list and realise that you can't use the stick for this. Buy an adwanced stick and sell it on ebay if you don't like it. Or even better, keep all the original wrapping and use the 30 day return policy!

(HJ)

This is what I what suggest also, good advice. Just make sure you have some time during that 30 days to really mess around with the stick, get some good use out of it.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Yeah, places like Fry's Electronics take stuff back with no questions asked. Just find a good store like them.

I can remember when DVD burners were $500+ at Fry's. I tried about 4 of them out over a year while I waited for the price to go down. They took all 4 back within 30 days with no questions asked. Great store.

EDIT: Here you go! You got 2 hours till the sale expires! 100$ for a Cougar Hotas!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thrustmaster-Hotas-Cougar-Joystick-Flight-Throttle-USAF-F-16-USB-Plug-Play-/370666896376?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D2875897645497175721%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D370666896376%26

And another good deal. Only $30.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thrustmaster-F-16-FLCS-Weapon-Control-System-Mark-2-HOTAS-/121000927753?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D2876001436200726166%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D370666896376%26

Kind of old, but not a bad deal if your looking for a really cheap but halfway decent hotas. From the 90's. I can't remember if those are programmable or not. I think the buttons could emulate keyboard keys. And of course, its the old gameport interface, not USB.

Edited by Wolfie

"Isn't this fun!?" - Inglorious Bastards

"I rode a tank, held a general's rank / When the Blitzkrieg raged, and the bodies stank!" - Stones.

This is what I what suggest also, good advice. Just make sure you have some time during that 30 days to really mess around with the stick, get some good use out of it.

Yeah, places like Fry's Electronics take stuff back with no questions asked. Just find a good store like them.

The OP isn't sure he wants to spend the money on an X-52 and you are suggesting something that costs three times as much. Even after thirty days, if he keeps it he still has to pay for it.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The OP isn't sure he wants to spend the money on an X-52 and you are suggesting something that costs three times as much. Even after thirty days, if he keeps it he still has to pay for it.

He will be hooked long before the 30 days have gone by :music_whistling:

This is a difficult question to answer. The fact is that the HOTAS-X is a fine entry-level controller for flight simulation. Unfortunately, DCS titles go a long, long way past flight simulation. Because they've put such work into modelling the systems of advanced airframes, you'll very quickly find the lack of buttons and hat switches frustrating - because you'll be forced to go to the keyboard for tasks that pilots usually accomplish with a flick of a finger. You'll also have to remember all the keyboard combinations for every task.

Still, a good 30-day stint with the HOTAS-X will make it easy for you to decide whether that's enough for you, or if it's time to start saving up for something more.

Still, a good 30-day stint with the HOTAS-X will make it easy for you to decide whether that's enough for you, or if it's time to start saving up for something more.

Quite true.

You can consider myself an experienced joystick user, however weird it may sound. The case is simple - Hotas X (as well as Hotas Cougar) use crap potentiometers (see my post above). I'd prefer used X52 Pro rather than new Hotas X. If you're really on a tight budget, go for X52 or X52 Pro and build rudder pedals yourself.

Hi,

Right now i use the thrustmaster t-flight hotas. I have everything mapped to the stick. I just used modifiers. It helps that i have the track ir so looking around the cockpit is taken care off. The only problem with this setup is you have to remember to press the modifier key for the specific action you want.

It can get a little annoying when things are happening but i get along ok with it for now. It's sensitive enough that i can do aerial refuels now with lots of practice.

I will be getting the warthog eventually as i do enjoy the dcs world.

Edited by snafup