Saving custom snapviews broken?

GregP

EDIT: Problem solved, see my post #4 below.

According to the changelog for 1.2.0, this was fixed, but at least for me in 1.2.1.6288, this is not working. Even if I set SnapViewDisableSaving=false in View.lua, following the normal process for saving snapviews (move camera, LWin+KP(), RAlt+KP0) does nothing whatsoever.

So, is this still broken? Has anyone else gotten it to work?

Edited by GregP

The file structure has slightly changed since introducing the P-51D...and so it is broken for P-51D (again).

Have a look your self at the end of Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\View\SnapViewsDefault.lua

I'm sure that the script that creates the snap-views and runs in the background just hasn't been told how to do it now for the P-51D... simplified speaking.

(well - not 100% sure if it is like I wrote- I haven't tried to save snap-views in the actual build)

OK guys -- good news: the problem was me, not DCS. Snapview saving does indeed work in 1.2.1, just slightly differently from how it worked in the A-10C betas. Here's what you do:

In 'DCS World\Config\View\View.lua' set:

DisableSnapViewSaving=false

UseDefaultSnapViews=false

When in-game, to save new snapviews, do the following:

1) use RShift+RCtrl+KP keys to move the camera, use KP keys to tilt camera

2) press LWin + KP(x) where x is the KP key you want to bind the snapview to

3) press RAlt + KP0

Your snapviews are now saved in (under Windows 7, at least) C:\Users\[name]\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\SnapViews.lua.

You can do this for every DCS aircraft, and you can also use this process to set a different default cockpit view: define a new snapview on a KP key you don't already have bound to another snapview, then exit the sim, go into the SnapViews.lua file, copy the 'Snap[x][y]' section of lines (where x is your aircraft [as shown in the View.lua aircraft list] and y is the KP key you used + 1) and paste it over the existing 'Snap[x][13]' group of lines, changing your y's to 13's (i.e. 13 = 'KP12', which obviously doesn't exist as an actual key, but defines your default cockpit view).

I've now happily got all my default and snapviews defined just how I want them for every aircraft.

• Like 1

A simplification: my method above for setting a new default view is needlessly complex. As pointed out by PeterP here, the process can be shortened as follows:

1. Press Num5 to reset your view to the current default.

2. Adjust your view to what you want as the new default but do not use any snap view keys in the process!

3. Press RALT+Num0 - your new default view should now be saved.

Man I wish I had known this months ago!