Any new info?!

Evilducky

Does anyone know about SAS/Autopilot for the UH-1H?

The UH-1H does not have SAS/SCAS or any kind of autopilot.

Does it work the same way as the Ka-50?

Sure, assuming you leave all of the channels off on the Ka-50. ;)

Is it attitude holding or just dampening or both?

Neither. Rotor dampening is provided by the stabilizer bar on the rotor head.

How stable is the Huey without it?

Depends on the pilot. :D For a new pilot, I think most will agree that's it doesn't feel very stable at all. ;)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know about SAS/Autopilot for the UH-1H?
No dash-13 powered UH-1H came with autopilot from factory. Only the twin-engine 212 model got AFCS. There are some aftermarket ones, although some require the optional dual hydraulic kit. And the SOTAS JUH-1H also was retrofitted with autopilot.

edit.

Darn, AlphaOneSix was faster ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

So, we're all gonna crash? :D

:thumbup::lol:

YEP

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

The BIG difference against Akula is that in this bird your only concern is to piloting it and nothing else is not bothering you. You will have a copilot/weapons operator by your side, it would be very unusual for us, the Ka-50 pilots :smilewink:

Actually, pilots have rocket control, co-pilot (or peter pilot) has flexguns (miniguns). And of course your crew chief and some soldier with doorgunner training have their crew weapons (m60 in this case). So not only flying, also some shooting and you have to take care of them aswell, while they cover your arse.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youre right, I forgot the unguided rockets. So you are no ordinary taxidriver, you are a taxidriver with rockets :thumbup: All weapons that the pilot can operate are firing coaxialy with the helo.

I'm really looking forward to fly this legendary bird, while my human crew members will be unleashing hell :gun_smilie:

The only things that spoils the fun are non-colidable trees :( It is strange, when you are below the treeline and AAgun on the other side of the forrest, maybe click away, can see you and shoot you down...

Edited by Suchacz

Actually, not only rockets :D

Depends on what Belsimtek want to model, there was a lot of different armament options to be hung on the bomb racks:

- XM18 7.62mm minigun pods with 1500 rounds of ammo;

- XM14 12.7mm M3 (1200rpm .50cal Browning) pod with 750 rounds;

- CBU-72 cluster bombs;

- BLU-1 napalm bombs;

- Mk-81 dumb bombs (El Salvador and Lebanon);

Not to mention that HH-1K was a test platform for AGM-122 Sidearm, short range anti-radiation missile.

There was also UH-1D called "Big Daddy" that had Pontiac M39 20mm (1500rpm!) cannon strapped to its belly ;)

Other systems, like XM26 TOW, XM30 30mm, and XM31 20mm were not add-ons like previously listed, but were a single weapon system together with the helicopter (UH-1B in those cases).

Plus, it is a standardized bomb rack, and other worldwide users can hang anything they want on it - one example is the French 68mm SNEB launcher that many of you saw in "Apocalypse Now" movie.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Never saw that graph, thanks! I recon the M3 subsystem is the flare dispenser?

Now in the dash-10 mission equipment section they go on about the M56/M132 mine dispenser subsystems. I don't see them listed here, but they would be nice to have and i'm sure many a CA commander agrees.

I hope that in due time we will see the same diversity in weapon systems from Belsimtek. Though i rather fly slicks myself.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

M3 is the ARA (Aerial Rocket Artilery) system - first system mounted on Hueys and earlier on CH-34 firing 2,75" FFAR rockets (Mk.4 and Mk.40 ). Those had 2 launcher blocks each holding 4x6 rockets:

ARA4.jpg

Those were also, on some occasions, mounted together with the M22 subsystem, giving up to 48 rockets and two guided missiles:

ARA1.jpg

But in South East Asia, it was too much weight for dash-5 and dash-9 powered Bravos, so rocket launchers either were not fully loaded, or, like on the photo above, stripped down.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why were the latest posts deleted? :( Did they broke some forum rules?

EDIT> I'm really sorry, nothing was deleted, I mixed up two totally different topics together :doh:

Edited by Suchacz

Those were also, on some occasions, mounted together with the M22 subsystem, giving up to 48 rockets and two guided missiles:

ARA1.jpg

Didn`t know that they had guided missiles back then. Or was it just few test examples? Found this:

Three UH-1Bs were in Vietnam in 1972, to test the new TOW anti-tank guided missile. When the North Vietnamese launched their Easter Offensive, the three were sent into combat. Their rockets devastated the NVA tank columns, and they played a major role in several key battles
Why were the latest post deleted? sad.gif Did they broke some forum rules?
Hmm, haven´t seen more then the posts we have currently? What posts do you mean?
Edited by EagleEye

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

Basically every helicopter weapon system was experimental at that time. the XM22 was pretty much first guided anti tank missile used on those helicopters, but wasn't very reliable, therefore work continued into development of the TOW missile and the XM26 subsystem that saw combat in Vietnam and proved to be very effective, even though its first combat use wasn't very glamorous, as the first two targets were US M41 tank and a howitzer that fell into NVA hands.

The AGM-22 missiles didn't saw much use though, as they proved to have rather poor accuracy. Missile was directly controlled with a joystick - similarly to the AGM-12 Bullpup missile, but controlled via wire, not radio. The range was short, and controls unprecise - at best. Later XM26 TOW was controlled by a computer that tracked fired missile, and operator only had to keep the crosshair on target to hit it. There were still some problems with firing from a moving platform - like loosing lock on the missile, or snagging control wire on tree branches, but it was improvement overall. later that system was used on Cobra attack helicopters and exported Hughes 369s, never again to be used by Hueys.

As for your quote, there were only two XM26 equipped Huey send to Vietnam, the third stayed in the States at Fort Rucker for more testing and personnel training.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I hope the lack of an update is because, they are getting ready for a Beta, Would love to be test flying this over the Christmas Period. :)

Although really intresting reading about the different weapon systems, didnt realise just how much experience and info this community has, it leaves me speechless.

Keep up the great work on the Huey, and to the community, keep these stunning info topics going, i love reading them. :)

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I hope the lack of an update is because, they are getting ready for a Beta, Would love to be test flying this over the Christmas Period. :)

I even would accept it without documentation. Wouldn`t it be funny and interesting to do a startup just by trying?:) It`s not that different from Ka-50, I guess?:laugh:

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

I even would accept it without documentation. Wouldn`t it be funny and interesting to do a startup just by trying?:) It`s not that different from Ka-50, I guess?:laugh:

Sorry you mean you READ the Manual, mmmmmm maybe that's where I'm going wrong. ;)

I just keep hitting buttons until something happens. :megalol:

cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]