Any new info?!

Evilducky

Sold!
I was saving money just for that Huey, but now I have doubts.

Can someone tell me. what am I suppose to do with 1960s-tech helicopter in modern day Digital Combat Simulator ? Because I can fly a virtual Huey already, few of those. I can fly them wherever I want, and that include Mekong Delta, or Viet-Nam higlands with period correct fire bases scattered over the hill tops, and I can also shoot rockets and guns there. I can fly sling-loaded cargo, I can perform search and rescue using on-board hoist.

What will I be able to do with this UH-1H in DCS environment ? Because "shooting" is right out the window. It's the same problem with Mustang - there's very little to shoot at, and a lot of things that can shoot at you, and very effectively.

I was hoping for more modern bird after all, either 80-tech, being retrofitted EH-1H, or more current, like the US DoS, Italian, or Spanish helicopters in Afghanistan. Something that would at least give me some situation awareness (not even talking about self defense), and possibility to at least employ it as a scout.

Edited by Sundowner.pl

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was saving money just for that Huey, but now I have doubts.

Most of the other 3rd party devs start with less complex aircrafts to learn how DCS works. For the first belsimtek addon the huey is a good choice IMO. :)

Because I can fly a virtual Huey already, few of those. I can fly them wherever I want, and that include Mekong Delta, or Viet-Nam higlands with period correct fire bases scattered over the hill tops, and I can also shoot rockets and guns there. I can fly sling-loaded cargo, I can perform search and rescue using on-board hoist.

the huey flight model in DCS could be much better than the FSX FM. (and I guess it will get better ;))

Edited by sorcer3r

There's the catch, FSX don't have one and only FM for helicopters, there is a freeware "Helicopter Total Realism" mod, made by Frednaar, that overwrite physics of flight, making them on par with the DodoSim Bell 206 - which is still the benchmark for classic-helicopter simulation (Ka-50 is a different aerodynamic setup, apples and oranges ;) ). Plus there is not only FSX on the helicopter market. There's also X-Plane, with Robinson R22 by Dreamfoil, and also Take On: Helicopters, which even though limited in avionics department, is pretty damn good in the flight dynamics, and only place so far to fly a gunship helicopter in the right - infantry rich - environment.

Now as far as doing a "simple" aircraft first, to learn platform quirks. I'm all for that approach... but! This is still a product that has to sell, and if it's a product which usefulness in the environment it's put into is questionable - it becomes a gamble. UH-1H from mid 60s is relatively simple helicopter, but there are simpler ones, that the whole sim could benefit from implementing those. For example more modern variants of Hughes 369, like MD500 Defender, or AH-6J Little Bird. Very simple helicopters (no hydraulics, single stage transmission), with minimal avionics package - but enough to make them useful scouting out targets for Warthogs to engage, while still capable of avoiding AAA and SAMs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'll tell you my point of view. I want to keep it simple, I want to have the least amount of different sims. I don't want 8 different sims on my PC to be able to fly one aircraft in particlular and take all that time to setup all the sims and fiddle with them night after night.

That's why I don't buy CD's. I never like more than a couple of songs, so what's the point?

For FSX there's only a couple of aircraft I'd really want to fly. Saab Draken and DodoSim. Same for X-Plane. I hear ToH is crap so I don't want to touch it even if it's "fun despite lack of realism". That's just not me.

Now if I get a highly realistic helicopter for DCS, one of my main platforms, where I can shoot, have military equipment and co-op with other people and perhaps be a part of SAR/gunship team in a big multiplayer environment, then it's a total win for me!

Everybody have their own opinion and we get like one thread every week turning somehow into a wish list. Yes I'd like some other helicopter too but I still love Huey and respect the choise of the dev's.

Don't get me wrong, I'm simply expressing my concern. Last missions I flew in multiplayer were in very dense air defense networks and large quantities of armor, where even the A-10C had problems being useful at all. There is not much I can do with an old gunship there, and most people I fly with are not very interested in anything that have its Vne below A-10 stall speed :D

Therefore I was hoping for differently configured aircraft. I simply can't fight in this environment without RWR and countermeasures. And this leads me from 'certain buy' into 'questionable, even after initial reviews' attitude.

Everyone of us have different approach to these matters, that's mine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The issue is a non-issue because the environment in DCS is set by the scenario it is running. Ie, DCS can create low threat environments in which you do not need the systems you are missing. Missions will just need to be tailored to the UH-1 but missions are already tailored to specific airframes anyway so I see no issue at all. Just use the airframe as it was intended to be used IRL.

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

Just use the airframe as it was intended to be used IRL.
Ok, please tell me how can I build a mission where there would be infantry battle two battalion strength on both sides ? Or a hot extraction of a small infantry team chased by few regiments in densely vegetated area, where vegetation would play any role at all. Or regiment insertion into an well coordinated ambush ?

DCS have limitations, infantry warfare is one of those things it simply can't do, because it didn't supposed to. This helicopter was designed to support infantry warfare. So you see my problem now ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

These scenario's are possible to build. I am not saying infantry AI is not limited but it is not that bad that you cannot make them into scenarios either. they will even move into firing positions to shoot at you. It looks good from above.

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

I am just going to look at it like this for now. Perhaps in the curent config the aircraft is not up to 1980's standards. On the other hand there is still plenty of room on the panel for instruments, buttons and knobs to be added. As it would be more of a beta at the time of release perhaps as they start to get more advanced with the development more and more items will be added to the cockpit. On the other hand i am just having wishful thinking and what we see is all we will get..

Jesse

There is no sim that does that.

There is no sim that has a high quality UH-1H.

Does this module solve both problems? No, but it does bring a cool helicopter onto my favourite platform. The other part is not Belsimtek's fault. If I can get a cookie but not the whole jar, I'm happy.

Now why they chose Huey is another question but there are many Huey fans out there who would love it in any way possible. There are thousands of FSX/X-Plane pilots who just fly from point A to point B and are happy. There will be Huey pilots who will do just the same. The advantage of DCS is that it actually can simulate some elements of combat and an advanced mission editor can be used to create stories and mission like in ToH.

The fans of Huey can be happy for getting one and non-fans can... well just keep dreaming. Huey won't keep me entertained forever either but we can only wait.

So in the end it just boils down to opinions. There is no objective 'right one'.

You're missing my point. The Huey is fine, if it's the right one. And US DoS, Spanish, Italian, even Iraqi would be the right choice. Not Vietnam-era one.

Not Vietnam-era one.

The Georgian AF to my knowledge still has modernized Hueys in active service. So maybe we'll get a Georgian chopper with an avionics / weapons upgrade as well? Just speculating though...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

The Georgian AF to my knowledge still has modernized Hueys in active service. So maybe we'll get a Georgian chopper with an avionics / weapons upgrade as well? Just speculating though...
The 3D model we saw had wire strike kit, and RWR/MLWS sensor mount brackets on the nose, like on the Georgian UH-1H... but also had two sets of pitot tubes, one from UH-1H, and one from UH-1D. One can only hope that this shown cockpit is not the only one, or not the final one. But I have been around to long, to have such high hopes. Plus the information blackout only ads to the confusion.
Edited by Sundowner.pl

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

another FAKE?, please stop post "strangle" images. First mig-29 multishot, now that?

It`s not a fake. It comes from a part of the (russian) manual were a Autorotation is described. A ED Partner have postet it. Look here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1622138&postcount=246

EDIT: I find that the cockpit quality is worse. That middle console looks like crap.:dunno:

Edited by EagleEye

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals