Learning guideline?

eagleout

Yes, a newbie question but I've browsed the WIKI and am a bit overwhelmed by the available information. Can someone suggest a logical start-up procedure/plan for learning A-10C? I'm fine with learning from the ground up and wish to become a proficient pilot and eventually part of a combat group. I'm a fixed-wing glider pilot in real life and I know none of that will help me here, but I am determined to know all I can about this aircraft and its abilities.

Thanks for your time.

eagleout-

Edited by eagleout

welcome welcome!!!

I suggest downloading manual @

and reading pre-start checkups and actual procedures. its very detailed in manual.

there is a learning curve for everything, from ground start to landing and shutdown. what is more interesting is the combat employment.

cheers!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Welcome to the forums.

I've been at it for a little over a year now, and every day is still a learning process. So far what I've learned is...

-These forums and google are your friends.

-Go through the tutorials and take notes.

-Read the manual.

-HOTAS joystick and TrackIR are a must.

-Practice, practice, practice.

Welcome to the forums.

I've been at it for a little over a year now, and every day is still a learning process. So far what I've learned is...

-These forums and google are your friends.

-Go through the tutorials and take notes.

-Read the manual.

-HOTAS joystick and TrackIR are a must.

-Practice, practice, practice.

Is the Saitek X52 Pro Flight System Controller a decent set to start with?

Hey there welcome to the group and hobby.

So you have an x52 pro.........

take a look at this ....

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=94174

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] CPIAS FOR Saitek:

Saitek Flight instrument panels and X-52 pro mfd scripts for Dcs

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=94174

I'm a fixed-wing glider pilot in real life and I know none of that will help me here...

I think it's safe to say that everyone here has dealt with an un-powered descent at some time or other. You'll definitely find your skills to be useful! :joystick:

dcs_sig.jpg

I had one of those , great stick imo .

I bought me one of dem TM Warthogs last june ..... beuaty is it comes preprogrammed , so its already set up .

Then bought TIR5 ..... TIR5 is a must , end of !!!

You can get about with the Saitek fine , but better , obviously the warthog is the kiddie . Check on amazon or ebay , sometimes there are 2nds and deals .

I had one of those , great stick imo .

I bought me one of dem TM Warthogs last june ..... beuaty is it comes preprogrammed , so its already set up .

Then bought TIR5 ..... TIR5 is a must , end of !!!

You can get about with the Saitek fine , but better , obviously the warthog is the kiddie . Check on amazon or ebay , sometimes there are 2nds and deals .

Great advice here and in other posts too. One thing ill mention here is the X52 pro has a twist rudder on the stick. The TM HOTAS warthog has no twist rudder so you'll might be on the look out for a set of pedals too ;)

Take your time, enjoy flying and learning the aircraft and systems.:D

Don't ask me for advice on these Two Subjects:

1.. How to Take Off in the Dora!

2.. How to Land the Dora!

UNLESS YOU WANT TO DIE!

In order, I wish I had done it this way:

Using mission editor to make training maps

Startup (gets you acquainted with cockpit layout), take off, landing (5 hours)

Navigation from pre-loaded waypoints (10 mins)

Gun & rocket runs (ingrain HUD use and approach types - 1 hour)

CCIP bombing (map to ground appreciation-30 mins)

Mavericks (finding targets outside line of sight - 1 hour)

Countermeasures (30mins plus one hour for tactics)

TGP to Maverick (TGP makes everything easier, only after you know what you're doing - 1 hour)

CCRP bombing (love the TGP - 1 hour)

Entering waypoints - 30mins

Teaching others - lots

Radios (outsourcing target acquisition - 1 hour)

Night ops (easy as - 30mins)

Making triggered missions

Air to air refueling (I am stuck here, getting good at blowing up the tankers though)

Formation flying (surely 2mins would cover it!)

Remembering which button you made landing gear on your latest "perfect profile" setup (never)

X52 pro is good value, no need for pedals (use throttle yaw), definitely get a track ir4 or higher (should be a law), good luck!

• Like 1

Great advice here and in other posts too. One thing ill mention here is the X52 pro has a twist rudder on the stick. The TM HOTAS warthog has no twist rudder so you'll might be on the look out for a set of pedals too ;)

Take your time, enjoy flying and learning the aircraft and systems.:D

I manage without pedals ..... Ive remapped the CMS left & right to rudder , which works ok .

Maybe pedals in the new year .

In order, I wish I had done it this way:

Using mission editor to make training maps

Startup (gets you acquainted with cockpit layout), take off, landing (5 hours)

Navigation from pre-loaded waypoints (10 mins)

Gun & rocket runs (ingrain HUD use and approach types - 1 hour)

CCIP bombing (map to ground appreciation-30 mins)

Mavericks (finding targets outside line of sight - 1 hour)

Countermeasures (30mins plus one hour for tactics)

TGP to Maverick (TGP makes everything easier, only after you know what you're doing - 1 hour)

CCRP bombing (love the TGP - 1 hour)

Entering waypoints - 30mins

Teaching others - lots

Radios (outsourcing target acquisition - 1 hour)

Night ops (easy as - 30mins)

Making triggered missions

Air to air refueling (I am stuck here, getting good at blowing up the tankers though)

Formation flying (surely 2mins would cover it!)

Remembering which button you made landing gear on your latest "perfect profile" setup (never)

X52 pro is good value, no need for pedals (use throttle yaw), definitely get a track ir4 or higher (should be a law), good luck!

That's a great post. Newbs like me can really benefit from knowing what's good to focus on. Thanks. I just started on the Hog after giving up after beta release.

It will be OK if you understand that you cannot master all the elements in a fortnight. Considerable amount of patience is needed. "I want it all, I want it NOW" -attitude is not advisable.

Understood. I was aware of that after I watched a Youtube vid on just starting the thing. :huh:

I'm a fixed-wing glider pilot in real life and I know none of that will help me here [...]

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Just the other day I learned about a 767 flame-out landing where the pilot applied a forward slip to slow down, something I'd never even thought about - but it worked in RL. More info: Gimli Glider

Learn the flying part first. As a glider pilot you have a leg up on this, but the methods and reasons for how you fly the A-10 (or any fighter) are different compared to usual civillian flying.

Do the aerobatics first, learn how the thing handles at various weights and altitudes, learn how to turn aggressively, how to pick up speed, and generally how to execute each maneuver in the most efficient way.

Employing your weapons is just button-pushing ... survivability and success come from being a good aviator first. Tactics come after.

Working the cockpit is just learning how to push buttons, so don't worry about it too much or get frustrated with it. Piece by piece you'll get systems operation, but it's only a small part of the big picture.

Yes, a newbie question but I've browsed the WIKI and am a bit overwhelmed by the available information. Can someone suggest a logical start-up procedure/plan for learning A-10C? I'm fine with learning from the ground up and wish to become a proficient pilot and eventually part of a combat group. I'm a fixed-wing glider pilot in real life and I know none of that will help me here, but I am determined to know all I can about this aircraft and its abilities.

Thanks for your time.

eagleout-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Employing your weapons is just button-pushing ... survivability and success come from being a good aviator first. Tactics come after.

Bingo. You know how many people can proudly drop 5 JDAMs in one run but still sweat bullets every time they slice in on frightening excuses for a final approach to land?

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Just the other day I learned about a 767 flame-out landing where the pilot applied a forward slip to slow down, something I'd never even thought about - but it worked in RL. More info: Gimli Glider

Wow, and well done. The year of that just happened to coincide when I first soloed in a Schweizer 2-32, which was much less dramatic.

Learn the flying part first. As a glider pilot you have a leg up on this, but the methods and reasons for how you fly the A-10 (or any fighter) are different compared to usual civillian flying.

Do the aerobatics first, learn how the thing handles at various weights and altitudes, learn how to turn aggressively, how to pick up speed, and generally how to execute each maneuver in the most efficient way.

Working the cockpit is just learning how to push buttons, so don't worry about it too much or get frustrated with it. Piece by piece you'll get systems operation, but it's only a small part of the big picture.

I like your thinking. I wasn't exactly sure if I needed system expertise just to survive the training missions.

Choice cuz :) W1NDY, being in NZ if you're keen to learn we run at least every three days (4 days/wk avg) from 1845-2030 AEDT (Zulu + 11 hrs). Just join a "BK..." server and we will make sure you leave better than u started if ur a beginner (we aren't pros by any stretch, more than 20hrs game time and u might end up teaching us a few tricks!).

Edited by Ralph2