Taxi Help Please!!

jjohnson241

Herewith track - I already toggled the control indicator on so all you need to do is sit back and watch the replay :)

Track: Mustang Taxi Demo.trk

Let me know if there are playback issues.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Viper,

Track worked great.

Question: I noticed that the joystick never moved from center during your "Demo". I interpret that to mean the taxi was performed without unlocking the tail wheel. True?

Also, looking at the control input, it appears that you apply max input to the rudder before applying the toe brake. True?

Thanks again. This has been very helpful.

JJohnson241

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3rd Mar Div

RVN '66-'67

Track worked great.

Jolly Good :)

Question: I noticed that the joystick never moved from center during your "Demo". I interpret that to mean the taxi was performed without unlocking the tail wheel. True?

False/Incorrect.

At the very start of the track as I move off I unlock the tail-wheel, just before the first gentle left-turn. Herewith screenshot:

Ug2Sv.png

Also, looking at the control input, it appears that you apply max input to the rudder before applying the toe brake. True?

Yes, but not in all instances. Depends on how sharp you want to turn and what type of turn you are executing. As a general rule yes, you need rudder input as well as differential braking.

Thanks again. This has been very helpful.

No bother at all - just shout if you have any more questions/issues. Glad to assist :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Viper,

Understand and now all I have to do is do it.

Off to the ramp.. I'll let you know the results or if questions persist.

Thanks again.

JJohnson241

Update:

Well I won't claim it was smooth but I taxied to take off position from a dead start without incident and relatively quickly (for me at least). Downside is I cracked up trying to take-off. One step forward, one step backward.

We'll keep at it. Confident I'll get it down (one day).

Thanks again for the help.

Edited by jjohnson241

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3rd Mar Div

RVN '66-'67

• 3 months later...

I too am having serious Taxi'ing Issues

Though I have all of DCS's Modules and have for a long time, I am only now getting the chance to fly anything.

To reduce my learning curve and get into the air fast, I decided to start with the P 51 (I did start with BS 1 4years ago but got side tracked ... this is the first time for any DCS since then).

I have found 2 things that I am having difficulties with.

My rudder pedals really don't seem to be doing ANYTHING.

Any time they do seem to work, the Control Input Indicator (or whatever it's called re: Ctrl + Enter) seems to imply that my rudders or toe brakes are staying on even after depressing, releasing or pushing the opposite side (nothing seems to release them except hitting the W key for a sec !!! ???

I am constantly farting around with the rudders and W key and not making any sense of either.

The other issue I have discovered (unrelated) is that when my Mouse Cursor is over certain parts of my cockpit, I see my Desktop Icons (big ones) showing through my cockpit image.

What's up with that ? BTW - It seems to me that I even accidentally ended up executing programs who's icons are on the desktop. It is really annoying.

Please Help.

Anyone available for Online Training using Voice ? I could use allot of help getting everything set up.

SnowTiger:joystick:

Steering was a bit of a pain before I got the Saitek pedals. Now with them and a little practice it's easy to cruise around the sharp turns without stopping. Might want to adjust the axis parameters so you can ease onto the brakes without slowing the wheel too much.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

Shahdoh got me straightened out.

Shahdoh helped me get my Hotas and Pedals properly setup in the Options.

It's weird going from complete chaos (during which time I did get flying a few times) to having properly working controls and crashing still allot, but entirely due to my lack of practice.

I spent many hours practicing today (after reading for several hours yesterday and working on tutorials) and I am definitely benefiting from the Controls Setup as much as I am the practice.

It's a breeze once you get the hang of it !!

SnowTiger:joystick: