Oppening the canopy inflight...

Anatoli-Kagari9

I bet it does.. the body is enclosed, so, when you open canoppy, I think air is let inside to create a drag by aft windshield. I could be wrong though.

Sobek/yoyo will be along shortly throwing some complicated equations to make the drool longer..

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Ok,

really looking fwd for their replies :-)

Also, I am planning to buy my p-51 registration today. It will get installed on my current PC, but I soon will get a new one. Will it be possible to transfer the activation from one to the other? I believe I'll have to de-activate it here first in order to be able to activate on the new one (?) - sorry - I know this question does not belong to this forum ...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Sobek/yoyo will be along shortly throwing some complicated equations to make the drool longer..

Lol, sorry, no fluid dynamics, i only know a bit about kinematics. :)

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

When you open the canopy inflight does it generate drag?

Just a thought Jcomm - why not test fly it and let us know - it would be interesting for many.

Set yourself up level / stable etc. trimmed to 'perfection', and open the canopy - like I said just a thought.

Rgds V

Edited by VIMANAMAN
clarity

@Viamanaman: I do not own the p-51 yet. Have been closely following it's evolution and now that the final release version became available I believe I will end up buying it after all...

I am not fond of the military side of flight, but since I am in the very 1st place someone who seeks for the most accurate flight dynamics, sometimes in my simmer life I have oppened exceptions and bought a few military flight simulators in the past. The last one, long ago, was the firts version of IL-2.

Since this p-51 looks amazing from what I am able to read, I believe that details like this particulra one - drag from oppening the canopy inflight - are most certainly modelled, but I really would like to learn from the users :-)

Any contribution appreciated ;-)

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

It will create a very large amount of drag, It's the same as opening the window of your car. At low speed, below 60 KPH it has little effect but as speed increases the drag created goes up quickly.

The same is true for opening the canopy in the P-51. But there is no speed that it won't have much effect, unlike the car because of higher speeds. By going at higher speeds the amount of drag created increases at a high rate.

To sum up, it will create drag having it open at any speed, but the amount of drag created is dependent on the aircraft's speed, higher= more drag.

To sum up, it will create drag having it open at any speed, but the amount of drag created is dependent on the aircraft's speed, higher= more drag.

That falls into the 'of course' category. The question is whether it is modeled in the sim.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

My bad, Simple test. Trim aircraft level,Start at 200 mph, set altitude, advance throttle to a given manifold pressure. count the time it takes to reach 250mph. Repeat the test with canopy open exact same parameters, if there is a difference in time then it is modeled. Do three test of each to be certain.

A simpler test is to simply fly trimmed straight and level at sea level, ball centered, at 46" & 2700 RPM. Once your speed is at the maximum it will go under those conditions, open the canopy and see what happens. If it does affect the speed, wait for the aircraft to settle into its new top speed, then jettison the canopy to see if the drag changes again. (It should change; not necessarily decreased, because of vortexes, but it should change.)

Edited by Echo38

Hi all been away on tour for a while and haven't been able to fly. Anyhoo just wanted to say I bet canopy drag isnt modeled simply because accurate modeling of a cavity would pretty much require a CFD type FM. They could fake it im sure with the current model, but since your canopy is supposed to stay closed at any speed they prob didn't think it was nessesary. Just guessing, but I have had it open and while I wasnt testing spec for that effect, there seemed to be none that I could tell. What would be cool is if you open it at speed wind sound gets deafening like it would Irl.

• ED Team
Hi all been away on tour for a while and haven't been able to fly. Anyhoo just wanted to say I bet canopy drag isnt modeled simply because accurate modeling of a cavity would pretty much require a CFD type FM. They could fake it im sure with the current model, but since your canopy is supposed to stay closed at any speed they prob didn't think it was nessesary. Just guessing, but I have had it open and while I wasnt testing spec for that effect, there seemed to be none that I could tell. What would be cool is if you open it at speed wind sound gets deafening like it would Irl.

The coolest thing is that you can not open it at the significant speed. :)

And, by the way, there is no need to use NASA-type computers to take the canopy in account. The drag is not so dramatic and the speed drop is known - thus the drag addition is known too. Like a payload.

But in current version nothing is set for the open canopy :) and it has not drag yet... subject to add.

Edited by Yo-Yo

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

You see, I haven't bought the p-51 yet, and was really willing to know...

I can almost promise you that you won't be disappointed with the simulation. As Yo-Yo said, open-canopy drag isn't yet modelled, but you can also see that Eagle Dynamics has it on the list of things to do. And "we're working on it" isn't an empty promise, if you examine E.D.'s history. When I started flying the P-51D beta just a few weeks ago, it was impressive, but missing a great deal. Now, one update later, the simulation is so much closer to being complete. I can't wait to see further improvements--and they are coming, barring a flight-sim apocalypse.

I can almost promise you that you won't be disappointed with the simulation. As Yo-Yo said, open-canopy drag isn't yet modelled, but you can also see that Eagle Dynamics has it on the list of things to do. And "we're working on it" isn't an empty promise, if you examine E.D.'s history. When I started flying the P-51D beta just a few weeks ago, it was impressive, but missing a great deal. Now, one update later, the simulation is so much closer to being complete. I can't wait to see further improvements--and they are coming, barring a flight-sim apocalypse.

Think it's time we storm ED building hands on hip demanding further development of fighters from same era? We shall go in the summer when it's not too cold. :music_whistling:

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P