High Fidelity Flight Dynamics and Tech/Academic Initial Demonstration

CptSmiley

Hmm, make sure you're running the very latest Visual C++ Redistributable package. I had a similar problem back when we were first working on our EFM and it would just fall out of the sky slowly with no control.

I installed the VC++ redist package that is supplied by DCS installer package. So it should be the latest, right?

I'm going to upload two trks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take an F-16 HUD, thanks. :P

I'd have to do it step by step, basic hud, working, then start adding stuff.

But if the underlying systems arent there it prolly wouldnt work right.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Keyboard inputs for flight control in AFM aircraft have to be programmed into the flight model code. The code includes a function to read the joystick, but not to read keyboard inputs and transform those inputs into axis movements.

Thanks, and I just realized it.

BTW, do you know where to download the template code project for flight model?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

the data an stuff should have been part of the 300 mb download.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

This is pretty cool. Are there plans to integrate the AoA/roll-rate limits of the FLCS?

How awesome would it be to have Block 40/42s with a working, FLIR-capable HUD?

I believe there is roll rate limiting in the model, feel free to check out the code, there are many errors in and I am sure stuff is missing but I'm pretty certain there is the roll rate limiting portion of the FCS in there, just not sure if it is working as it should.

There aren't any plans for me to return to work on this, but anyone is free to improve it and publish their updates.

"Witness mere F-14s taking off from adjacent flight decks, gracefully canting left and right, afterburners flaming, and there’s something that sweeps you away—or at least it does me. And no amount of knowledge of the potential abuses of carrier task forces can affect the depth of that feeling. It simply speaks to another part of me. It doesn’t want recriminations or politics. It just wants to fly.”

― Carl Sagan

I believe there is roll rate limiting in the model, feel free to check out the code, there are many errors in and I am sure stuff is missing but I'm pretty certain there is the roll rate limiting portion of the FCS in there, just not sure if it is working as it should.

There aren't any plans for me to return to work on this, but anyone is free to improve it and publish their updates.

I have a question that is how can I know what kind of functions are available (e.g. call what func to get radio alt)? And how can I know which variables are DCS defined that will be used as interface parameters? Is there any ED guide to the template code?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have a question that is how can I know what kind of functions are available (e.g. call what func to get radio alt)? And how can I know which variables are DCS defined that will be used as interface parameters? Is there any ED guide to the template code?

Nope no guides except what you see in this section of the forums unfortunately. Maybe some in the DCS/ED Wiki but that's about it.

"Witness mere F-14s taking off from adjacent flight decks, gracefully canting left and right, afterburners flaming, and there’s something that sweeps you away—or at least it does me. And no amount of knowledge of the potential abuses of carrier task forces can affect the depth of that feeling. It simply speaks to another part of me. It doesn’t want recriminations or politics. It just wants to fly.”

― Carl Sagan

Roll Rates work here, not sure if they are 100% correct as I am not a F-16 Pilot, but it is enabled and functioning.

AoA on the other hand...

It was weird that someone bumped a thread from 2008, that had screenshots of a F-16 Cockpit in an Official Update post from 2008 or so... and we had F-16 Renders at one point too...

Roll Rates work here, not sure if they are 100% correct as I am not a F-16 Pilot, but it is enabled and functioning.

AoA on the other hand...

It was weird that someone bumped a thread from 2008, that had screenshots of a F-16 Cockpit in an Official Update post from 2008 or so... and we had F-16 Renders at one point too...

I'm reading the code, and regarding the roll rate, do you add new function or the function already there?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm reading the code, and regarding the roll rate, do you add new function or the function already there?

Hey uboats the code is what you want it to be and you build up the forces and moments as you see fit. There is not set structure at all except for setting and retrieving environmental conditions, position data, and forces and moments. From then on you are on your own to define it however you want.

In short, you add your own function for whatever you want to accomplish

― Carl Sagan

Hey uboats the code is what you want it to be and you build up the forces and moments as you see fit. There is not set structure at all except for setting and retrieving environmental conditions, position data, and forces and moments. From then on you are on your own to define it however you want.

In short, you add your own function for whatever you want to accomplish

Got it.

What I thought was the template gave you a blank function, you need to fill in the code describing the perform of individual aircraft.

Then it's clear to start, but how I can know which variable can be finally sent to DCS engine through the interface. I mean, I can write many functions, but I need to link the interface to DCS engine. To do this, I need to know the variable names of pre-defined. For instance, fuel consumption, I can easily write a function to calculate the fuel cost per run frame based on some simple formula, but how can I send back the result to DCS engine? I know some parameters are used inside the model (I can define them personally), but some needs to be sent to DCS. Personally, I have experience of many c/c++ project like, circuit simulators (like SPICE), etc. I built up everything not doing something like plugin. So without know the interface variables, I'm kind of missing :P

thanks for your patience!

Edited by uboats

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You'll absolutely have to sit down with the code that has been (generously!) provided and work through it piece by piece. There's no manual, no classes. The answers you're looking for are front and center in this project and the blank EFM template.

Yes, I know how it works now. Enjoying the code.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

uboats, there isn't much more to say than what has already been said here, but here are the basics:

1) All interface functions with DCS begin with "ed_fm_". Some functions require returning a particular type of data, others require you to set the passed address spaces with the correct data and others are just purely passing you information.

2) Since this F-16 code was written, several new interface functions have been added to pass additional data. These can be found in the API folder of your DCS install.

3) EVERYTHING else is up to you to make it want you want it to be. You won't find any more formal support for the AFM API at this time, even as a 3rd party. If you want to understand it, you have to go through each line of code and figure it out, like a handful of others have thus far.

• Like 1

uboats, there isn't much more to say than what has already been said here, but here are the basics:

1) All interface functions with DCS begin with "ed_fm_". Some functions require returning a particular type of data, others require you to set the passed address spaces with the correct data and others are just purely passing you information.

2) Since this F-16 code was written, several new interface functions have been added to pass additional data. These can be found in the API folder of your DCS install.

3) EVERYTHING else is up to you to make it want you want it to be. You won't find any more formal support for the AFM API at this time, even as a 3rd party. If you want to understand it, you have to go through each line of code and figure it out, like a handful of others have thus far.

Thank you very much.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

I'd like to sit down and try and understand it, but I am worried my head would explode :)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I'd like to sit down and try and understand it, but I am worried my head would explode :)

Mine would overheat and melt, I can understand some things for aerodynamics, but programming controller logic, forget about it.. lol.