Removed

CptSmiley

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, it's a Flight Model Demonstration,

You Get the External Model, And the Flight Model.

No Cockpit and No Systems.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Smiley and VRC team, have you had any issues with anyone testing the flight model who does not have Visual Studio installed? It seems that everyone who tests our dll has an out of control aircraft. Installing Visual Studio fixes the issues, but shouldn't the run-time distribution be sufficient? It mentions not being able to find the dll in the log file. I'm not sure if this is due to some setup option in our VS project or what. We have even tried having different people compile the dll and we still get consistently bad results.

Smiley and VRC team, have you had any issues with anyone testing the flight model who does not have Visual Studio installed? It seems that everyone who tests our dll has an out of control aircraft. Installing Visual Studio fixes the issues, but shouldn't the run-time distribution be sufficient? It mentions not being able to find the dll in the log file. I'm not sure if this is due to some setup option in our VS project or what. We have even tried having different people compile the dll and we still get consistently bad results.

Are you per chance compiling a Debug version of your DLL? DCS World silently installs a Visual Studio 2010 C/C++ runtime (MSVC10.DLL) at setup, but only a release version of course. Also, there is that 32bit vs 64bit issue.

To make sure your EFM DLL works fine on every machine, you need to:

1. Set your project to Release configuration (you can use Debug for internal development builds of course).

2. Compile both 32bit and 64bit versions of your DLLs.

3. Have an installer of your module (or change manually) that will choose the right DLL for your target machine ("HumanFM" pointing to either 32bit or 64bit version of your DLL). I wish we could actually detect 32 or 64bit OS from Lua, but so far couldn't find a way to do this yet.

Edit:

What version of Visual Studio are you using? If you are using Visual Studio 2012 (anything but the VS 2010 which is used by ED) you will need to either ship the runtime DLLs with your installer, or statically link the runtime (look for an option in the linker with the flag "/MT" rather than "/MD").

Edited by Simas
  • Like 1

Can anyone here tell me the difference between AFM and EFM i thought there is only SFM and AFM and now i hear about EFM?

Little bit confused here.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

SFM, Standard Flight Model, Alot of Stuff (ie Stall Behavior is pre-Scripted)

EFM, Extended Flight Model, Extended Parameters from the SFM (For Engines and Aero).

AFM, Advanced Flight Model, Everything is Done using Aerodynamic Equations and Values from Sources (ie NASA Data, USAF Test Data etc)., nothing is Pre-Scripted (ie Stalls), Plane Flies Realistically

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

EFM, Extended Flight Model, Extended Parameters from the SFM (For Engines and Aero).

AFM, Advanced Flight Model, Everything is Done using Aerodynamic Equations and Values from Sources (ie NASA Data, USAF Test Data etc)., nothing is Pre-Scripted (ie Stalls), Plane Flies Realistically

thanks man

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

The way I see it:

SFM - Simple Flight Model (parameter based, pre-scripted, LUA)

EFM - Extended Flight Model for third-parties (DLL hook, C/C++, wHumanCustomPhysicsAPI.h interface)

AFM - EDs advanced flight model (internally used by their AC-10C, P-51D and black shark products)

There is only one EAFM I know of, and that is the one we create using complex aerodynamic equations and data.

EAFM = External Advanced Flight Model. This is what we 3rd Party Devs refer to it as, so as not to confuse it with AFM as created by ED.

It can exceed the detail/complexity of ED's own flight models if we so wish. We are not limited.

Best regards,

Tango.

AFM - EDs advanced flight model (internally used by their AC-10C, P-51D and black shark products)

The AC-10C, that must be the rock and roll version of the A-10C. No gatling gun, just a loud speaker on the front that blasts "Thunderstruck" when you pull the trigger. :D

• Like 1

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Don't need to complicate things.

E-SFM: External Simple Flight Model

E-AFM: External Advanced Flight Model

Well, back to topic. Is the F-16 FM done? Anyone working on a cockpit? Or is this project gonna end up as a SDK/template?

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

E-SFM: External Simple Flight Model

E-AFM: External Advanced Flight Model

That's completely bogus. There is no such thing as an external simple flight model. It's just an external flight model. There's no line between advanced and simple... every flight model is a compromise.

That's completely bogus. There is no such thing as an external simple flight model. It's just an external flight model. There's no line between advanced and simple... every flight model is a compromise.

Sure, but you can't say that, for example, Flight Simulator's flight model isn't severely simplified compared to DCS; or the other way round: that DCS flight model isn't significantly advanced compared to FSX.

You can't pull a line, but you can make a comparison between two flight models of two different planes, and say 'this one is simple, while the other one is advanced'.

Maybe in 10 years time, today's DCS airplanes will be considered to have a 'simple' flight model, while 2022 DCS airplanes will be the 'advanced' ones. 'S all relative.

DCS A10C Warthog, DCS Black Shark 2, DCS P51D Mustang, DCS UH-1H Huey, DCS Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Flaming Cliffs 3, Combined Arms

System: Intel i7 4770k @4,2GHz; MSI Z87-G65; 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM; 128GB SSD SATA3 (system disk); 2TB HDD SATA3 (games disk); Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X; Windows 7 64bit

Flight controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder; TrackIR 5; Thrustmaster F16 MFDs; 2x 8'' LCD screens (VGA) for MFD display; 27'' LG LCD full HD main display

Maybe in 10 years time, today's DCS airplanes will be considered to have a 'simple' flight model, while 2022 DCS airplanes will be the 'advanced' ones. 'S all relative.

Maybe. There is only so much data available for certain aircraft, and none available for most aircraft. Also, the equations of motion haven't changed in a long long time. We are reaching a point of diminishing returns when it comes to flight modelling and the only thing that could make today's flight models seem simple in comparison would be a new age of supercomputers that could calculate real-time fluid dynamics for use in a simulator environment. Those are extremely resource intensive (talking 8 hours for a fast computer to solve a static analysis).

Hey all, I just wanted to give you guys an update.

I've got pretty much all the aerodynamic features I want in the F-16 and want to get this out to you guys as soon as possible even if it doesn't have quite everything I want.

My plan is to release a closed source version (dll only) for you guys to "flight test" and provide feedback. Here is what it will have:

-high fidelity aerodynamics

-high fidelity control laws

-flap scheduling and aero

-gear aerodynamics

-NASA thrust model

-Ground reaction model

-Animated collision model

-New 3D model (F-16 block 25 clean with no hardpoints)

What it will not have:

-Actuator dynamics (flutter issue of servodynamics with DCS frame time I'm working to fix)

-Speedbrake animation and aerodynamics

-Gear friction/ground handling (possibly)

-Weapons

-Avionics (besides FCS control laws)

-Cockpit

-Dynamic weight and moment of inertia change (static right now)

What I have to do before I get it to you guys:

-Finish animating the gear

-Remove private cockpit

-Package it

-Implement ground handling (if I can find a way!)

This will allow me time to go through an get the speedbrake aero and animation done as well as think about a way to tackle the ground handling and clean up my code, but also allow you guys to fly the F-16 and give me your useful feedback. I'd consider this something like an very alpha version but I've pretty much put in everything I can figure out on my own about the EFM, there are many more things I'd like to include but I haven't found a way yet and who knows when that will be available to us...

My timeline for this is probably in the next few weeks or so and hope to have the open source version out to you guys sometime after that.

If/when VRC gets 3rd party status, I'd imagine I'd have to publish the code as-is to avoid any NDA issues but have no idea on that yet...will keep you all updated.

Great work so far ...keep walking

If you need help or some clarifications for F-16 specialy block 50/52 please let me know!!!!

There are many many pdf's from other sims too that can help you ...

For avionics for APG-68 v 9 and MLU tapes i can help the team as far as i can...

Also any news from this ? ; http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1292704&postcount=4207

Edited by Geraki