A-10 Bomb racks

Marksmenshadow

So I was perusing the grand network of youtube when i came across this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hy2oahqZiE&list=FLZr3l-I0jO63Dnz5-2cfZXw&index=2&feature=plpp_video

At 0:21 there is an a10 configured as a bomb truck and I was wondering why we cannot mount weapons like this in the sim, as I am a big fan of carrying lots of small dumb bombs.

You can get pretty close in sim with up to 22 MK-82s. 21 if you don't want to give up the targeting pod. I think I counted 24 in the video. Not sure why we can't carry six bombs each on stations 5 and 7 in the sim, maybe something changed.

At 0:21 there is an a10 configured as a bomb truck and I was wondering why we cannot mount weapons like this in the sim, as I am a big fan of carrying lots of small dumb bombs.

Because such loads were never cleared or used on operational aircraft, and for good reason.

You can get pretty close in sim with up to 22 MK-82s. 21 if you don't want to give up the targeting pod. I think I counted 24 in the video. Not sure why we can't carry six bombs each on stations 5 and 7 in the sim, maybe something changed.

Carrying 22 isn't exactly realistic, let alone any more. MERs were not used on operational aircraft, and in practice the limit is 12 MK-82s (4 TERs) and even that is not something you'd ever really see on an A-10C, although such loads were used operationally on the A-10A.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

No. But to give you some examples, I'll list a few previous A-10A combat loads from ODS & OAF. For current (and previous) A-10C loads used in Afghanistan/Iraq google will serve you quite well.

Op Desert Storm

2x AGM-65G/D, 6x Mk-82, 2x AIM-9M, ALQ-131

2x AGM-65G/D, 12x Mk-82, 2x AIM-9M, ALQ-131

2x AGM-65G/D, 2x CBU-87, 2x AIM-9M, ALQ-131

2x AGM-65G/D, 4x CBU-87, 2x AIM-9M, ALQ-131

Op Allied Force

2x AGM-65D, 4x Mk-82, 14x M151, 2x AIM-9M, ALQ-131

2x AGM-65D, 4x Mk-82, 14x M156, 2x AIM-9M, ALQ-131

2x AGM-65D, 2x CBU-87, 14x M151, 2x AIM-9M, ALQ-131

• Like 1

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Thanks Eddie, I googled it but most of the pics I've found show "lightly" loaded hogs with 0-2 mavs and 2-4 Mk-82/GBU-38.

Now that's great for Iraq/Aghanistan type of scenarios but I'm wondering what would be the possible loadouts for a "full war" scenario.

IIRC IRL they never load more than 2 mavs because the missile is damaging the wing when fired but ingame every pre-defined loadout include 4 mavs =/

Edited by Eight Ball

Well it very much depends what you mean by "full war".

With modern aircraft and weapons, you don't need to carry 20 of everything. A single A-10C armed with "just" 2 Mavs and 4 GBU-12/38 + Gun would be able to do more damage than an A-10A carrying a fulda gap scenario payload.

While it is very true that LAU-88s are not used these days (last I heard only the Sqns based in Korea even had them), they still could be. The big difference between real life and what people have a habit of doing in the sim is that if jets were to go up with 4 or 6 Mavs, they wouldn't also be carrying 12 Mk-82s or GBU-12 or whatever else you could physically fit on the jet.

The "full war" payloads would not be all that different from the COIN loads we currently see. The main difference would be Mavericks, which aren't really used at the moment as there is no requirement for them. In fact, depending on the situation in question and the threat environment a "full war" payload may actually involve fewer weapons that the current Afghanistan configurations.

Spoiler

Thanks for the quick and descriptive reply Eddie, I'm guessing the hellfire capability wasn't modeled for its lack of range over the maverick?

Wasn't aware the A-10 ever carried that. However having seen the A-10 configured as a bomb-truck I have a sudden appetite for DCS F-111F.:D

Wasn't aware the A-10 ever carried that. However having seen the A-10 configured as a bomb-truck I have a sudden appetite for DCS F-111F.:D

+1 But the FB-111

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

Thanks for the quick and descriptive reply Eddie, I'm guessing the hellfire capability wasn't modeled for its lack of range over the maverick?

What Hellfire capability? The A-10C (or the A-10A) does not, and cannot, employ Hellfire.

Spoiler