I've had enough of Microsoft's bull***.

Wolfie

Windows 8 is not only a disgrace, its a downright insult to PC users. Microsoft has obviously dumped PC's in a suicidal move to challenge Apple and embrace tablets. See ya, M$. I'll be happy to piss on your grave.

So now that M$ has cut its wrists, can we finally see some support for Linux, which has always been the best and most complete OS for PC's?

"Isn't this fun!?" - Inglorious Bastards

"I rode a tank, held a general's rank / When the Blitzkrieg raged, and the bodies stank!" - Stones.

My bet is that this thread will be editted, closed or deleted sooner than Microsoft collapses. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yes, but only through Windows 7. I think the cracks in M$ are starting to show. Win8 is a desperate bid at best. And god awful for PC's. They have literally turned their backs on us PC users. It reminds me of Cryteks failed Crysis 2, which obviously used a gutted version of CE2, which is still vastly superior to CE3. Crysis 2 was obviously made for an XBox. I'm sure M$ paid them big bucks behind closed doors to do it. Now, it is obvious why. Just look at the front of Win8's menu. What do you see? Look familiar? If you own an XBox, sure it does. Complete with what appears to be an XBox emulator. Win8 is M$'s Crysis 2. A lot of PC users are finally starting to get it and looking at other OS's.

Edited by Wolfie

"I rode a tank, held a general's rank / When the Blitzkrieg raged, and the bodies stank!" - Stones.

I really don't think they care about PC's much anymore. They're sinking all their money into tablets and phones. Kind of like Crytek, who put out one of the best PC games EVER and then abruptly abandoned PCs for consoles. Reason? $$.

I think M$ is trying to kill PC's. And of course, their motive is $$.

Time to find a new OS.

I don't know as I haven't been following tech news in years. Somehow I find it hard to believe that MS is going to abandon PC platform in the very near future. At least not until hardware is tiny enough to fit in a 32" wall-mounted tablet with a brute force that can tame demanding games and programs such as photoshop, 3dmax, etc. I think...

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

wow I'm stupid

and here I thought I was going to see an all out, guns melting, inverted A10c run on Lake Washington in Medina, Washington....

silly me.

Acer AMD Phenom II x 4 840T, 16 gb. memory, Zotac GTX580 Amp2 3GB, 40" Philips tv, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudders , Cougar MFCD's w/ 21.5" LG monitor, DSD Track Master button box, 3rd. century Roman field comanders helmet w/ Track IR 5, Windows 7 Home P.

“God is a comedian, playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.”... Voltaire

"Diplomacy is the practiced art of being able to confidently say 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" ... Tom Clancy

Question for OP: have you tested the w8 RTM?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Question for OP: have you tested the w8 RTM?

Of course I have. And so have many others. Its obvious what they're trying to do.

Speaking about W8,

Is there any news about Track iR Driver support? I don't see any.

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

Windows 8 is not only a disgrace, its a downright insult to PC users. Microsoft has obviously dumped PC's in a suicidal move to challenge Apple and embrace tablets. See ya, M$. I'll be happy to piss on your grave.

So now that M$ has cut its wrists, can we finally see some support for Linux, which has always been the best and most complete OS for PC's?

It's strange how people will flail at Microsoft because of Windows 8, to be honest. Is it perfect? Nope, definitely not. Is it the utter disaster that some would have it to be? Nah, far from it.

I'm currently running Win8 Pro on my lappie, the gamebox and on my auxillary box/mediacenter/chatbox at home, without any issues apart from the fact that Cliffs of Dover doesn't work on it (but hey, CLoD has it's fair share of issues regardless, so meh). Apart from that, I don't really have any gripes with Win8, although it took a few days of "zomgzwtf is this!!!?" before I started to understand where to find things and how to get things done.

Hell, much about the noise regarding Windows 8 smacks of the same noise people came with when Windows 95 came out.

Bah, now I feel old...

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

My bet is that this thread will be editted, closed or deleted sooner than Microsoft collapses. ;)

Well, it seem I was right at least. :P

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Of course I have. And so have many others. Its obvious what they're trying to do.

...and they benefit how?

Why would anyone who sims/games POSSIBLY even CONSIDER moving to W8>>??? W7 is the best OS now for this.

Some of us have more than one machine. ;)

Its obvious what they're trying to do.

Which is to streamline the user experience such that it is the same or similar on all Windows platforms; phone, tablet, PC etcetera being similar. Whether this is smart or not is a separate question, but they're not abandoning or trying to kill the PC, and Linux is still quite far from ready to take over as a consumer OS. For us nerds, yes, it's good. But we are a very small minority of Microsoft's customer base.

2012Q3 (Microsoft fiscal year makes this period end March 31st) sees Windows revenue at 4.6 billion, trailing only the Business division (at 5,8b). Operating income (after costs) for Windows was 2,9b, trailing business division (3,7). Profits without Windows would have been cut in half. (Remember that this is a period where Windows Phone is largely immaterial to revenue.)

Basically, Microsoft is looking at another demographic than us nerds, and they do have sound reason to do so.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Some of us have more than one machine. ;)

I have 17 on a network at home, some run LINUX, one DOS, one W98, 7 XP, my simming rig W7 64 bit.

...what's your point...? ;-)

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

To the OP... Then don't buy it. WIN7 is the best OS on the market. PERIOD. I make my living as a desktop engineer, supporting, installing, building PC's etc. and I personally use every version of Microsoft software, desktop and server, every version of MAC OSX, 4 different flavors of Linux, AMIGA OS, MORPH OS, NOVELL and probably a few I have forgotten to mention. WIN7 is the absolute BEST of all of them and is simple to install and it just works.. I will not even entertain any statements like LINUX is ready to take over the world. Give me a friggin break. Linux is a great enthusiast OS but is NOT ready for home users.. It gets closer every day, but it is a long way from being any kind of replacement for Windows or MAC OS...

The next time you start talking about Linux ask yourself how DCS, COD, IL2, Rise of Flight and any other major game is going to run on your Linux box. It isn't and it isn't ever going to.

As for WIN8.. I don't particularly like the GUI either, but it takes about 10 minutes to get used to it and then it is standard Windows fair... Kind of reminds me of all the folks whining about VISTA... Little do all of these geniuses know, but WIN7 is simply VISTA with a few items turned off or changed so they don't annoy you. It is the same OS. Microsoft releases interim Oses to "Test the waters" and see how folks like particular features and then really hype the next OS once they find out what folks like or don't. They have done this for decades. Nothing to see here..

Windows 8 will be much the same. In a year Microsoft will figure out that folks don't like the Metro Interface for desktops and will turn it off on DESKTOPS and continue to tweak it for tablet use... And all will be good once again..

Until that day, simply don't use WIN 8... WIN7 is near perfect as it is for about 99% of the world population...

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

I have 17 on a network at home, some run LINUX, one DOS, one W98, 7 XP, my simming rig W7 64 bit.

...what's your point...? ;-)

The point is, that you don't have to run your game machine on it. The OP is ranting about Win 8 in general, not as a gaming platform.

Kind of reminds me of all the folks whining about VISTA... Little do all of these geniuses know, but WIN7 is simply VISTA with a few items turned off or changed so they don't annoy you. It is the same OS.

Aye, I always like it when people slam Vista and then sing praises to 7, whereupon I gently remind them that 7 is pretty much just a Vista SP that got relabeled and sold as new in order to get rid of Vista's launch stigma. (XP is so old that people don't remember how absolutely horrible XP was before it got a couple SPs.)

Windows 8 will be much the same. In a year Microsoft will figure out that folks don't like the Metro Interface for desktops and will turn it off on DESKTOPS and continue to tweak it for tablet use... And all will be good once again..

I also suspect that they are overestimating the "breakout" of touch-screen equipped PC's.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I like Windows 8 and it is perfect for my bedroom PC which is media and gaming center (with XBOX 360 pad) and used occasionally for desktop aplications, where flightsim corner PC is Windows 7 driven. I really don't understand all these rants against Windows 8.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer