I've had enough of Microsoft's bull***.

Wolfie

Most of the time these kinds of rants have little to do with the OS and everything to do with the fact that it appears to be "COOL" to HATE successful companies and we are turning into a world of envious whiners that are jealous of the fact that others have more than we do. Yep it happens and everyone needs to get over it. WORK and you may be as successful as others... Or you can whine about it.. Whatever..

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Well yeah since there are sooo many worthy competitors out there that "Given the chance" would be able to compete head to head with Microsoft right? Give me a break... The have a strangle hold because for the masses, NOTHING is even close... You may not like aspects of it, but there is no competition at all..

RAMBO

Oddly enough, my Win 7 Annoyances book is even thicker than the XP or 98 versions. :P

book_20121023_0091.jpg

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I am not defending anyone.. I am pointing out that people make decisions based on their own insecurities and biases... NOT FACTS...

FACT:

Not since the days of the AMIGA has anyone had any kind of competition for MS.. they have stayed one step ahead of everyone else the einter time and they are way ahead of everyone else now. Whether I like it or you like it, the facts are what they are...

I just get tired of jealous people hating because they are not willing to work as hard as the next guy to obtain what they have.. It is just easier to label them as "Bastards" and hate on them all the while whining that Microsoft are too rich and we are too poor. An entire generation of "Entitlement" to the point that no one wants to work for success and now success is "Eveil"

It is asinine...

RAMBO

The point is, that you don't have to run your game machine on it. The OP is ranting about Win 8 in general, not as a gaming platform.

Actually, if I can swim through all the screaming Windows fanboys ( and Windows 7 isn't bad), my original question "is DCS ever going to put out a Linux version of DCS:World?

As for Windows 8, I guess you can only understand what is going to happen if you ever had a game you loved, that was made for PC, whose sequel was gutted and mangled and made an XBox exclusive ( with a port for PC). That is what is going to happen to PC's if M$ has its way. Our Desktops will be downgraded to oversized smart phones. Win8 is the first step.

We have Windows 7 for the next few years, but what after that?

"Isn't this fun!?" - Inglorious Bastards

"I rode a tank, held a general's rank / When the Blitzkrieg raged, and the bodies stank!" - Stones.

I am not defending anyone.. I am pointing out that people make decisions based on their own insecurities and biases... NOT FACTS...

FACT:

Not since the days of the AMIGA has anyone had any kind of competition for MS.. they have stayed one step ahead of everyone else the einter time and they are way ahead of everyone else now. Whether I like it or you like it, the facts are what they are...

I just get tired of jealous people hating because they are not willing to work as hard as the next guy to obtain what they have.. It is just easier to label them as "Bastards" and hate on them all the while whining that Microsoft are too rich and we are too poor. An entire generation of "Entitlement" to the point that no one wants to work for success and now success is "Eveil"

It is asinine...

Actually, if you ever tried Ubuntu, or a few of the other flavors of linux, and got the correct addons, it would look exactly like Win7 and be superior in about every aspect. For instance, you would have a machine with ACTUAL, REAL SECURITY. Not to mention its FREE.

The con of Linux is that, yes, its a LOT more to learn than Windows.

"I rode a tank, held a general's rank / When the Blitzkrieg raged, and the bodies stank!" - Stones.

my original question "is DCS ever going to put out a Linux version of DCS:World?

1: DirectX on Linux... Problem.

2: Which "Linux"? Problem.

Yes, we nerds can sort things out just fine. We've been there setting up bootloaders and handling dependencies.

Now go to Johnny-standard and talk to him about "depencies" and study his face.

Then go to the people that you just asked to fund reimplementing the current DX engine into either custom (LOL) or OpenGL (ouch).

Seriously, I'm a Linux nerd, but there are good reasons why Windows is dominant, and it has nothing to do with nerds like us; except that were a miniscule minority. When you talk about Linux as a desktop OS, you are talking about us. You and me. And in actual revenue and market share, you and me are worth... nothing. That's Linux gaming for you. ;)

But on the other hand, if you understand what you asked for actually meant, you wouldn't have asked for it, would you?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

The con of Linux is that, yes, its a LOT more to learn than Windows.

Which is a very big deal when you are selling computers to people who just want to plug it in, turn it on and go.

I first ran Linux (RedHat) almost 20 years ago but it still isn't ready for the average consumer as a PC OS.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I first ran Linux (RedHat) almost 20 years ago but it still isn't ready for the average consumer as a PC OS.

It never tried to be a consumer OS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

It never tried to be a consumer OS.

I realize that. If the OP wants every game and related dev to support it, then it would need to be.

The problem is that Windows was good (well, except for ME). I ( and many others across the net ) now get the feeling that M$ is trying to dump the PC in favor of tablets. Were being forced, kicking and screaming, to turn our PC's into giant tablets, whether we like it or not. I have no interests in tablets, or smartphones ( or XBox's ) communicating back and forth with my PC, whether M$ wants this or not.

Yeah, there are some problems, and that is because M$ has become one giant monopoly, able to make us bow and scrape on command. We need to break out.

As for Linux, we'll, if your smart enough to learn to fly an A-10c, your smart enough to learn Linux.

Edited by Wolfie

Oddly enough, my Win 7 Annoyances book is even thicker than the XP or 98 versions. :P

book_20121023_0091.jpg

Wait till you see the coming Windows 8 one! :helpsmilie:

No Wolfie, what you are feeling is that you belong to a minority.

We nerds used to be a force as far as computing goes. But those days are long gone.

You are NOT being forced into anything. If you don't like the OS, don't buy it.

If, in the long run, that means you don't have games... well that's part of your decision isn't itt? The OS maarket isn't here for us nerds. It's here for eveyone, and it is obvious that the mainstream will NOT be nerd-oriented.

Just use your nerds-powers to dualboot. But don't go expecting that the mainstream we all wanted would be all-nerd. Mainstream wants something else than you. Live with it or go back to the early 90's and have fun. :P

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

It sure did look like we were winning for a while there. :P

Yeah, now were being forced to play on XBox's and Tablets. It's getting where you can't even buy REAL PC games anymore. Sims like DCS seem to be the last stand.

I personally like gaming on my PC more for indivual use, and my 360 for a group of friends. With that said though, console gaming is much larger than PC gaming and has been for some time. If you were a developer what system would you build a game for? See the chart for the obvious answer;

Chart was taken from the 2012 Sales, Demographic & Usage Data - Essential Facts About the Computer and Video Game Industry

1389185535_SalesGrowth2011.thumb.png.ca648cce5adb39f07752c690a876452e.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Old System Specs:

CPU: AMD Pnehom II x6 1090T

MOBO: Asus M4A88TD-V

GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

HDD: Hitachi GST Deskstar 7K3000 2TB

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

Monitor: Gateway FHD2400 24" (1920x1200)

Mouse: Logitech G9x

Extras:

LG WH10LS30 BD Burner

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Sharkoon SR 5.1 Surround Headset

Thrustmaster T1600 Joystick

Yeah, now were being forced to play on XBox's and Tablets. It's getting where you can't even buy REAL PC games anymore. Sims like DCS seem to be the last stand.

Dunno, there is still Total War, ArmA 2, and Planetside 2.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

Ouch, Chaotik, put that away before someone from ED sees it! It's that bad?

haha, yea it is a bit surprising, isn't it? I think 2012 though will be a huge bounce back. Maybe even more than the record year in 2010. A lot of major PC games came out late last year so whether that's reflected in the following year's report or the sales continue on, is up for question.

But I think that's kind of getting off topic of Win8 potentially being bad for gaming, which I agree with, but it's up to the developers to choose what to do. That doesn't mean Win7 gaming is just going to shut-off tomorrow. Mobile gaming (cellphones) and tablet gaming is just not for me at all. I need a mouse or a controller and I'll play for hours at a time. And don't also forget about Steam's Gaming Box Whatchamacallit!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Old System Specs:

CPU: AMD Pnehom II x6 1090T

MOBO: Asus M4A88TD-V

GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

HDD: Hitachi GST Deskstar 7K3000 2TB

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

Monitor: Gateway FHD2400 24" (1920x1200)

Mouse: Logitech G9x

Extras:

LG WH10LS30 BD Burner

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Sharkoon SR 5.1 Surround Headset

Thrustmaster T1600 Joystick

I don't understand the point of this thread. Who cares if the PC disappears? It will be replaced by something else. I guess the flight-sim market has always been the same size more or less (from the 80's til present day) and if developers are daring (or stupid :D) enough to create products for it they will ofcourse make for whatever platform is most suitable, hardware-wise and spreading-wise. Just the way it ALWAYS been. And the equally daring hardware manufacturers (NaturalPoint, Thrustmaster etc) will follow. If FC4 is released for the XBOX740 then we will be there, in front of the TV with our TM Hornet-stick (hinthint) and TIR6 and some of us that feels we rather play it on our Linux-box will make it work in Wine or whatever Xbox-emulator thats out there. And people will complain about whoever is the biggest player on the market is is such a -insert curse word- for whatever unclear reason. Everything will be just the same it always been.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

The infamous "They" have been reporting the demise of the PC for years... And it hasn't died yet nor will it die... It will however change as the years go by... The OP is upset about Windows 8 because of the Metro interface and says that MS is abandoning the PC... Actually, MS is trying to NOT abandon the PC and yet they want to cash in on the Millions of dollars available in the tablet market. As I stated above, the Metro interface is an experiment to see what the buying public wants.. In the past only PC's were available to end users so of course everyone had one. Not everyone needs a full-on PC if all they do is Facebook and email and many of those folks are content with a tablet... So a LOT OF MONEY has moved away from PC's to tablets. Microsoft sees this and wants in on the action... (Who wouldn't?)

This does NOT mean PC's will die, it means that many folks that had no need for PC's in the first place will no longer buy them unnecessarily. Moving forward, tablet users will buy tablets and the rest of us... Those folks that actually USE PC's (even if "using" means playing games) will continue to do so and as long as we kep buying games / sims for the PC etc. someone will continue to sell them. And as we all know, SIMS do NOT work well on consoles, so maybe in the future PC's will be mostly SIMS who knows? I CAN say that PC's are not going to die as long as tablets only have little tiny downloadable apps and not full fledged programs and local storage options that make sense..

The future as I see it will be tablets with touch screens that are cool and make sense for that item. PC's with standard monitors and possibly touch screens AND a mouse and keyboard... (Touch screens are GREAT for somethings such as Helios and such, but don't lend themselves well for full PC use.) If the prices come down, maybe a large standard monitor with several touchscreens that could be used like MFD's for all kinds of programs and those screens would be mouse and touch controlled...

I laugh at these posts because I have watched this happen over and over again with Microsoft and other companies. They launch the new OS and everyone screams bloody murder and how they will never buy MS again and how MS is going to go out of business with this decision and blah blah blah... Then MS listens and quietly makes a few changes to quell the whining and then they release the next OS to glowing praise... And they make Billions of dollars...

RELAX

It has happened before and it will happen again... (Because it is a sound business strategy that works!) Always remember that MS is there to make money and the only way they can make money is to provide what the BUYING PUBLIC wants. Just realize that most of us are not necessarily the buying public anymore... Folks actually should be happy with the course MS is taking as they want to provide something for all of us.. Not just the PC.. Not just the tablet.. Not just the phone...

RAMBO