I've had enough of Microsoft's bull***.

Wolfie

Part of me feels really sorry for M$ in a way. TBH, they are damned if they do, damned if they dont. I remember when they were constantly being slated for lack of security. They addressed this and introduced UAC, then they got butchered for an interfering interface that required too many clicks to do anything (I personally hate UAC, but you see my point).

Like some of the previous posters, i'm an IT professional and have been so since the days of MS DOS (My first Pc was a ZX spectrum :) ) In that time I've seen the industry move and change in hugely interesting ways. All vendors have to move with the times and innovate. If they didnt, we'd still be playing M$ flight sim v0.1 (Anyone wanna sim like this: http://fshistory.simflight.com/fsh/index.htm?). Sadly, people resist change as they become comfortable with what they know and are fearful change will 'break things'. The bigger the change, the bigger the resistance.

I think the point of the OP, was the apparent death of PCs and PC gaming and a sense of "what the hell are m$ doing!?". I will agree that PC gaming has been overshadowed by consoles, and we all use a much larger array of devices and operating systems than we used to, but do I think PC gaming and PCs as a concept are dead, 100% no. The key change here is how we access our data and where that data is stored. M$ have recognised that the device market has shifted and are addressing it with Windows 8. It's geared for consiming data hosted in the cloud on any windows (or other) device. That is what most users want, and sadly us simmers as a very small niche, in a very small niche of PC gamers. We should actually be glad we havent been totally ignored.

I've been using Windows 8 / Server 2012 betas and RTMs etc for a while now and i'm actually really impressed with what M$ are doing. If you look at it from a business use sense, its actually very impressive!

M$ arent abandoning the desktop market, they're just expanding the platforms the OS will support and trying to give a unified feel. I dont feel for one second that PC gaming is dead, and I dont think the desktop market as a whole will die out, it'll just change, evolve and improve.

Caveat: Windows ME and Vista made me want to jump of a bridge :helpsmilie:

XP=+, Vista=-, 7=+, 8=- and so on…

Indeed but I don't think Windows 8 is so bad.

I really don't think they care about PC's much anymore. They're sinking all their money into tablets and phones. Kind of like Crytek, who put out one of the best PC games EVER and then abruptly abandoned PCs for consoles. Reason? $$.

I think M$ is trying to kill PC's. And of course, their motive is $$.

Time to find a new OS.

Hey, they are doing great stuff on Windows Phone 8. Remember that WP is a lot more optimized than Android or iOS. Why are you so angry ?

­­­­­­

Hey, they are doing great stuff on Windows Phone 8. Remember that WP is a lot more optimized than Android or iOS. Why are you so angry ?

I think Win8 is a pretty cool and super quick OS. Definitely not a gaming/photo optimized system. I've been running the beta on my 6 year old laptop for over a year and it boots up in literally 10 seconds, opposed to my beast desktop (specs in my spoiler) which takes 45 seconds.

(I love my WP7 and will definitely be getting a WP8, once I can upgrade)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Old System Specs:

CPU: AMD Pnehom II x6 1090T

MOBO: Asus M4A88TD-V

GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

HDD: Hitachi GST Deskstar 7K3000 2TB

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

Monitor: Gateway FHD2400 24" (1920x1200)

Mouse: Logitech G9x

Extras:

LG WH10LS30 BD Burner

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Sharkoon SR 5.1 Surround Headset

Thrustmaster T1600 Joystick

Caveat: Windows ME and Vista made me want to jump of a bridge :helpsmilie:

Caveat: Win 8 makes me want to shoot some M$ CEO's.

Business wise, I think M$ is dead. This is a windows aimed at the young and the non-tech, non-business kids. I've read a lot of articles about it now. Forbes doesn't think much of it. Businesses don't like it. Programmers, like myself, HATE IT.

Its mostly made for entertainment for people who can't figure out the simple Start Button. Not for financiers, not business types, not for techs.

M$ better hope there are more young wistful types out there than there are serious PC users, or its the bankruptcy courts for them.

I like Windows 7 because it has a very nice GUI. Unfortunately, its file system and basic internals have a lot to be desired compared to Linux. I don't know why M$ has never cared to do better. Oh well, after M$ is dead, Linux can just copy their GUI without fear of being sued to death over the next 100 years by 1000 lawyers, and we'll have the best PC OS ever made. Maybe there is a good side to this!

And personally, I don't care if we lose M$. They're a viscous monopoly with no qualms in my opinion. Good riddance. Linux ( a real PC OS ) will finally have some more users and we can all start figuring out how to make our own DirectX ( or better OpenGL ) for it.

Edited by Wolfie

"Isn't this fun!?" - Inglorious Bastards

"I rode a tank, held a general's rank / When the Blitzkrieg raged, and the bodies stank!" - Stones.

Answer your question? :)

"Isn't this fun!?" - Inglorious Bastards

"I rode a tank, held a general's rank / When the Blitzkrieg raged, and the bodies stank!" - Stones.

• 7 months later...

thank God for OEM and win 7 and office 2010... thats all, mycroft...

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Caveat: Win 8 makes me want to shoot some M$ CEO's.

Business wise, I think M$ is dead. This is a windows aimed at the young and the non-tech, non-business kids. I've read a lot of articles about it now. Forbes doesn't think much of it. Businesses don't like it. Programmers, like myself, HATE IT.

Its mostly made for entertainment for people who can't figure out the simple Start Button. Not for financiers, not business types, not for techs.

M$ better hope there are more young wistful types out there than there are serious PC users, or its the bankruptcy courts for them.

I like Windows 7 because it has a very nice GUI. Unfortunately, its file system and basic internals have a lot to be desired compared to Linux. I don't know why M$ has never cared to do better. Oh well, after M$ is dead, Linux can just copy their GUI without fear of being sued to death over the next 100 years by 1000 lawyers, and we'll have the best PC OS ever made. Maybe there is a good side to this!

And personally, I don't care if we lose M$. They're a viscous monopoly with no qualms in my opinion. Good riddance. Linux ( a real PC OS ) will finally have some more users and we can all start figuring out how to make our own DirectX ( or better OpenGL ) for it.

Hehe...maybe W8 isn't that good although W7 is, but a day Linux will take over the regular desktop market is so far away that it isnt even a topic, And at that time every one of us needs to be IT professionals. Another reason Linux is a no go is that the different Linux communities use more time to compete about developing unique distros than use their time to join forces and standardize more. For regular users which most of the world users are, they shouldn't need to customize or use special versions of many apps to fit into the OS. As long as i'm allowed to strip W7/8 to the bone of unnessesary crap, am happy, cause if you do its really working well. I use both of the other major OS's too, and as an allround platform neither is even close to Windows. The thing bugging me most with W7 though is the Visual C++ and .NET redistributables which seems like real mess. Also the lack of control the OS has over the registry regarding software installations and all the leftovers in there is a mess. A windows install is always doomed to get cluttered over time, but with careful regular cleanups its manageable. I've had my install for years and i've installed and unistalled thousends of apps, but its still fast and stable. Linux has great potential, but there are too many opinions in the communities so they never seem to produce solid standards. Thinking "Great to have all these distros to choose from and all the ways to do everthing" is more likely keep them at where they are for the moment in the marked and not at the top. The company which really mess things up for those who like to explore is the one which puts an "i" in front of everything. Their even worse than M$ to put a lid on things. If their not stopped soon i will get really worried.

System spec:

Intel Core i7 920@4.2Ghz (stable, 65degC fully loaded), EVGA GTX-780, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 v.5.04 BIOS, Saitek X52, 1TB/500GB WD HD for system/storage. Kingston SSD 120 GB for DCS, 250GB Samsung 840 SSD for the rest. 16GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3 Memory, 9 GB Pagefile, EK HFX-240 Watercooling, Corsair HX-1000 PSU. HAF-932 Tower, TrackIR-5, Win64Ult

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can have all your smartphones and tablets that you want. I can assure you that very few, if any were developed on said platform. Hand over Windows 8 to all the coders that make this garbage and tell them to go program the next version of windows using touchscreen keyboards and metro apps....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit