Saitek X65F vs Thrustmaster Warthog? Pros VS Cons

Saitek X65F vs Thrustmaster Warthog? Pros VS Cons.

I've heard alot about these sticks I've seen alot about both of these sticks they both look good. Trying to decide which to buy.

The X65F seems to be a good choice I say that since I've heard alot about Warthog sticks having bad centers and requiring to re-grease everything for full benefit, plus cost ratio. Anyone with Pros and Cons...

Thrustmaster Warthog

Pros

_____

Having all Buttons No compromising Layouts

Extra Switches on Throttle Quad

Good Software

Cons

______

Cost ($455)

Having to Take apart and Re-grease everything

Too much wiggle room in center

Saitek X65F

Pros

______

Force Sensing

Not having to take apart

Cost (Still $300) not that much of a pro

Heard Nothing but good reviews on it.

4 Profiles for different layouts for landing and combat and such.

Cons

________

Possibly bad software Unsure about this. I hate My X52 Software its a nightmare.

Haven't heard of anyone using this with DCS-A10.

Not having exact layout of buttons. IE Counter Measure system depress switch?

I maybe wrong about some of these cons, its just mostly what I've heard people complain about. Anyone else have a comment about these sticks and if they have these problems or bought one and would have rather wished they bought the other?

Modded CapLoz HeliosV2.1_1280x1024.zip

2x 1080p 22"Monitors, Saitek X52, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Trackir5, Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel Q9550 @3.8Ghz, EP45-UD3L, 8GB Ram, Nvidia 560Ti 2GB, 2x 500GB Velociraptor

Flaming Cliffs 3

DCS:A10C,KA-50, Huey, Mi-8, WWII Euro 40+ Supporter, Mig21

Falcon 4 BMS

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Take on Helicopters

Arma 2 AO + PMC + BF All Addons Series

Arma 3

EECH & EEAH

Medivac & Search and Rescue 4 Series

I had that decision too last Fall. Got the x65 because I knew I was going to use it for the BMS Falcon AND the DCS A10, as well as the supposed DCS Fast Mover in time, so I wanted a versatile HOTAS. Not issues nor complaints so far, great stick, love the force sensing, software okay but usable. You can actually use the TM TARGET software with it if preferred.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

X65 owner here as well.

Coming from a saitek X52 throttle and MSFF2 stick before the X65. Was looking for something with more buttons/switches. I was only flying prop style games, and had no need for more, but once I picked up DCS and BMS, I found I needed something more.

I am very happy with the purchase. Solid HOTAS.

Pros:

1. The stick and throttle both feel great with the metal construction.

2. Plenty of buttons and hats all over. Works great for the A10 and BS. Can configure to match the real controls pretty damn close.

3. Force Sensing. Was sketpical, but works great. The fact your stick does not move has worked out for me better than I thought. You can place it just about anywhere without worry of room. Also it seems with no mechanical movement it can last a long time.

4. Something not mentioned alot. You can replace the different hat switchs (castle, bowel, etc) on the stick and throttle around with a supplied allen wrench. A little detail that I totally love.

5. Cost. I was able to get it from Frys with a pricematch from an Amazon sales for $235. Yes it took about 45mins at the store to do it, but worth it.

6. The throttle attachement buttons. At first, it seemed it was more fluff than useful. After assigning commands to it, I find it to be another awseome addition that I cant live without.

7. Can be used with any flight game. I know the TM can be as well, but I like the fact the X65 is not crafted after one particular aircraft. The same way it felt odd to race a Shebly Cobra using my Fanatec Porsche wheel.

Cons:

1. Throttle is stiff as hell for at least a week. After some use it feels much, much better. Some people may like it, I am not a fan of a stiff thottle.

2. SST software is not my favorite. It works, but its a pain sometimes. This is also due to my lack of willingess to learn it.

3. Force Sensing will take time to get used to. Took me about a week before I could control the BS without erratic behavior. ITs now second nature, and I dont even notice the stick isnt moving.

4. The stick is a bit big. I have to slide my hand up just a hair to hit some top hat switches. A hair shorter (or my hand a hair bigger) would have been awesome.

I cannot comment on the TM. I have played with one in a store, not hooked up to anything, can can say it feels good. I know many who love it.

i5 3570k @ 4.3

560ti GTX 2gig

8gig RAM

Intel SSD

Win7 64bit

So Mower what kind of system are you running? I've been running X52 now for a while it was good for the shark but i've always had problems with the software freezing my computer untill i disconnect the joystick from USB ever had that problem? I was running ATI card So i still have that software installed even though now i have Nvidia GTX 560Ti now. The SST software apparently has problems with ATI Catalyst drivers I might have to reinstall windows anyway to see it fixed, anyway ever had that problem with the software?

2x 1080p 22"Monitors, Saitek X52, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Trackir5, Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel Q9550 @3.8Ghz, EP45-UD3L, 8GB Ram, Nvidia 560Ti 2GB, 2x 500GB Velociraptor

Flaming Cliffs 3

Falcon 4 BMS

Take on Helicopters

Arma 3

EECH & EEAH

Question Does the X65F have a 2 stage trigger? or Only 1?

Flaming Cliffs 3

Falcon 4 BMS

Take on Helicopters

Arma 3

EECH & EEAH

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Warthog. I've been using it for 18 month now and am completely satisfied with it.

Couldn't imagine flying the A-10 with another stick and have no squabbles to use it for flying a P-51D.

X65F has no dual stage trigger.

Maybe take a look in this thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=60224

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Thank you for your input tintifaxl.

Does the CMS switch on the stick of the X65F depress down as well or is it just a hat?

Flaming Cliffs 3

Falcon 4 BMS

Take on Helicopters

Arma 3

EECH & EEAH

Warthog. I own an X-65F, and as great as it may be, it results in some slightly erratic behavior that is basically uncorrectable. This is especially bad for maintaining good formation. I tend to jitter all over the place due to uncommanded movements of the stick. In my opinion the stick would be near perfect if it incorporated a slight range of physical motion similar to how the F-16 stick works.

The Warthog is a solid, heavy, well manufactured stick, with good resistance and excellent precision.

FYI the CMS switch on the X-65F does not push down. You have to use some other key for the jammer. Not like it matters much anyways, the current jammer implementation doesn't really make it all that useful.

Edited by Pyroflash

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

Pyro, the X-65 doesn't move at all? and have you ever touched a real F-16 stick in the jet?

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

nothing against X65 and either will work, but for me it makes sense to use A10 replica stick when flying the A10. it is also a good, responsive and precise joy for everything else. all boils down to cost IMHO, i got it on sale and still could barely justify the expense. if you find the cost for the warthog tolerable then go for it, you will enjoy it.

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

• 7 months later...

I chose Warthog and am extremely happy with it. People seem to think your switches on the warthog are somehow only useable within DCS A10. That is completely false. It's a programmable hotas just like any other.

Also, you don't have to take apart the stick and re grease it. A few people have had some issues with the stick feeling like it was sticking, but they are a small minority. I haven't had issues at all with mine. Also, as a RL air force pilot, I can tell you that sticks in planes are always a little different. Some will even feel "sticky." It's a reality of mechanical design so you just have to deal with it.

I won't repeat what has already been said about the warthog, but something I haven't seen anyone talk about is mounting for simpits and such. It's very easy to mount the warthog between the legs because of the small footprint of the base. I don't think you can remove the x65 from it's large rectangular base. Just something to think about.

I'm sure the x65 is a great stick, but for me the Warthog is the clear winner.