The AH-64 Apache Thread

Piffer

AH-64D Block III First Flight

SMF08-129_BlockIII_154.jpg

ST. LOUIS, July 11, 2008 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA], U.S. Army leaders, supplier representatives and other guests celebrated the first flight of the AH-64D Apache Block III helicopter this week in Mesa, Ariz. Just prior to a ceremony attended by more than 300 people at the company's Apache production facility, the aircraft was flown by two Apache-rated aviators -- U.S. Army Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Richard Cody and an Army experimental test pilot, Chief Warrant Officer 5 Rucie Moore.

"This milestone is a testament to the tremendous team effort of Team Apache -- the U.S. Army, our worldwide industry suppliers and Boeing," said Al Winn, Boeing vice president of Apache Programs. "The technologies incorporated into the Block III helicopter come from a cross-section of the best of industry."

Experimental test pilots -- one U.S. Army soldier and one Boeing teammate -- initially flew this Block III prototype aircraft over the Arizona desert on June 27 in preparation for today's ceremony, which commemorates the success of engineers, production teams and program managers in keeping the Apache Block III program on time and on budget.

Ensuring the continued relevance of this rotorcraft platform for the warfighter, Apache Block III technologies deliver network-centric communications capabilities, extended ranges for sensors and weapons, unmanned aerial systems connectivity and control, and enhanced aircraft performance. The Block III technologies have been successfully tested and matured through a planned process of continuous modernization used since the delivery of the first AH-64A model to the U.S. Army in January 1984 and throughout the deliveries of AH-64A Apaches and AH-64D Apache Longbows to the Army and the defense forces of 10 nations around the world.

"Built upon a legacy of success, the Apache Block III will deliver mission-critical performance capabilities to U.S. Army aviators, facilitating successful operations across the spectrum of conflict," U.S. Army Apache Project Manager Col. Derek Paquette said to Boeing teammates who worked to build the helicopter.

The Army awarded Boeing the first Apache Block III contract in June 2005. In accordance with contractual milestones, Boeing plans to begin Low Rate Initial Production in April 2010 and to deliver the first production AH-64D Apache Block III in June 2011.

• Like 2
sigzk5.jpg

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/apache-block-iii-program-kicks-off-as-contract-signed-02480/#block-III

"The request also includes applicable weapons: 173 FIM-92F Stinger Block I Air-to-Air Missiles, 35 Stinger air-air missile Captive Flight Trainers with live guidance systems but no rocket motors, 1,000 AGM-114L Longbow Hellfire anti-tank missiles that can use the APG-78 and their own radar’s millimeter-wave guidance for “fire and forget” capability, and 66 M299 Hellfire missile launchers."

Cheers!

• Like 1

[sIGPIC]http://www.forum.lockon.ru/signaturepics/sigpic5279_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I could shot down a Kitchen :smartass:

• 4 months later...

cool, are there many Female pilots in the Airforce flying jets? I wonder if we have any female BS pilots. On most forums they would probably pretend to be male, but I think this forum would be mature enough for them to not have to hide the fact they are female. Its such a shame that girls have to do this on forums related to gaming, but I cant say I blame them.

Edited by BTTW-DratsaB

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

cool, are there many Female pilots in the Airforce flying jets? I wonder if we have any female BS pilots. On most forums they would probably pretend to be male, but I think this forum would be mature enough for them to not have to hide the fact they are female. Its such a shame that girls have to do this on forums related to gaming, but I cant say I blame them.

There are many female pilots in service, the thread below has alot of pictures of female pilots. http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/personal-gallery/girls-aircrafts-4063.html

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just before I got out of the military, my unit got one of the first female Apache pilots to come out of flight school. This was back in 1995 with the AH-64A. She was nice and all, but I felt like she needed a better handle on "personal space". She had a tendency to get way too "snuggly" with me when she talked to me. Made worse by the fact that she was my platoon leader.

Wait, you had a potential opportunity to get an Apache pilot for a missus and didn't take it? You could have been Mr. and Mrs. Apache! :P

Well, I wasn't all that serious right there... But you know...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Wait, you had a potential opportunity to get an Apache pilot for a missus and didn't take it? You could have been Mr. and Mrs. Apache! :P

Well, I wasn't all that serious right there... But you know...

Thats called fraternizing, and thats a no-go in the military.

They are such spoilsports. :(

(Though I can definitely see the logic behind it.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Good reason too. A few years back, there was a B-52 crew member who was dating a captain...it got ugly real quick. I cant remember the specific details (thinking the B_52 crewmember was the chick), but yeah...nasty things.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprising how fragile those rotors are when contacting an object. Now I understand that clip where an Apache clipped some trees during a low level training sortie. I know the Mi-8 often clips tree branches and all is needed is some paint.

• Like 1

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Surprising how fragile those rotors are when contacting an object. Now I understand that clip where an Apache clipped some trees during a low level training sortie. I know the Mi-8 often clips tree branches and all is needed is some paint.

Russian aircraft are built like Cadillacs and American aircraft are built like Ferrari's.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

I don't think even a strong helo blade could take that. Looks like a sheet of galvanised metal was blown on top of the rotors. It probably got well in between the blades.

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

That's because there's a big difference between clipping thin branches of trees and clipping trees. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda