The AH-64 Apache Thread

Piffer

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm familiar with the uh-60, which has a similar blade set up to the Apache. When flying low (I mean low very low )the uh-60 (high speed comming at you) It is really hard to notice. When it is flying at high altitude the noise is much easier to pick up. I know because I used to live close to a military base in Colombia were we have uh-60 UH-1H, MI-17, and Hughes-500 and ka-32. As a side note the ka-32 sound is very similar to the uh-1 and is very easy to confuse them, but still you can hear that their jet engines have a different sound.

And we can add the fact that if an urban area is constantly patrolled by choppers, there is always chopper's sounds in the air, so the targets can not discrimine if they are such at that precise moment. But they are.

Vista, Suerte y al Toro!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm familiar with the uh-60, which has a similar blade set up to the Apache. When flying low (I mean low very low )the uh-60 (high speed comming at you) It is really hard to notice. When it is flying at high altitude the noise is much easier to pick up. I know because I used to live close to a military base in Colombia were we have uh-60 UH-1H, MI-17, and Hughes-500 and ka-32. As a side note the ka-32 sound is very similar to the uh-1 and is very easy to confuse them, but still you can hear that their jet engines have a different sound.

I know the UH-60 quite well too. They fly over my house daily, and sometimes in such large groups the noise wakes me up.

Quite a few Apaches fly over my house, and they are indeed very quiet. If they are flying low enough, you wont even see or hear them them until they are so close you can see the pilots. You can heard them at high altitudes, but it's still quiet.

"Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano at a whore house."

• 1 year later...

Stablizers! I had them on my first bike!!

Joking aside are these for grass landings?

Intel i5 3.2 ghz

8 GB crucial ram

gtx 660 superclocked 2gb

500watt corsair psu

win7 64bit

extreme pro

track ir5

Turtle beach x12

IR Jammer is no effectiveness to new class IR missiles ;)

What if you're shot at with an older class IR missile ;> Does it justify lack of any IR jammer? I'd better have one that none :P Like on our FC's Su-25T, IR jammer is close to useless but just sometimes it saves your butt - literally.

Snowboards look great, btw! :)

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

• 6 months later...

Makes me wonder what the Russians are doing for the Havoc. Last I heard they were mass producing the Mi-28N. Impressive chopper, but not the Apache Longbow, or the Longbow block 3 by a long shot. I remember the Swedish rejecting the Longbow as an attack chopper because of its inability to fly in cold weather for extended periods of time. This new block iii engine should be able to handle that easily.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I remember the Swedish rejecting the Longbow as an attack chopper because of its inability to fly in cold weather for extended periods of time. This new block iii engine should be able to handle that easily.

I'm pretty sure that was related to the Apache's less-than-stellar anti-ice capabilities. The engine itself has nothing to do with it being able to fly any better in the cold, specifically.

• 2 weeks later...

Look like ED software, especially the Hornet and the In-cockpit scenes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Waiting to build a F/A-18C home-pit...

ex - Swiss Air Force Pilatus PC-21 Ground Crew

SFM? AFM? EFM?? What's this?

i7-5960X (8 core @3.00GHz)¦32GB DDR4 RAM¦Asus X99-WS/IPMI¦2x GTX970 4GB SLI¦Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD¦TrackIR 5 Pro¦TM Warthog¦MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• 8 months later...

Prince Harry flying an Apache

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/celebrities/britains-prince-harry-back-in-afghanistan-to-fly-apache-helicopters-into-combat/2012/09/07/81e80508-f8d4-11e1-a93b-7185e3f88849_story.html

CAMP BASTION, Afghanistan — Prince Harry, third in line to the British throne, began a four-month combat tour Friday in Afghanistan as a gunner on an Apache attack helicopter, fresh from a vacation that included strip billiards in a Las Vegas hotel.

It was the second tour in Afghanistan for Harry, 27, who will start flying missions within 10 days in the country’s restive Helmand province, the British military said. In 2007-08, he served in Helmand as an air traffic controller.

Comments

Personal Post

Video

0907dv_prince_harry_afghanistan_400x300.jpg-06eed.jpg

Britain's Ministry of Defense says Prince Harry has returned to Afghanistan to fly Apache attack helicopters during a four-month tour of combat duty.

Looking relaxed if slightly tired, Harry gave a thumbs-up Friday after a long journey on a troop carrier flight from England to Britain’s Camp Bastion, a sprawling desert base near the southern Afghan town of Lashkar Gah.

Capt. Harry Wales, as he is known in the military, wore his combat uniform and joined his 100-strong unit — the 662 Squadron, 3 Regiment Army Air Corps.

As part of the Apache’s two-man crew, Harry will be both a co-pilot and the gunner responsible for firing the Apache’s wing-mounted aerial rockets, Hellfire laser-guided missiles and 30mm machine gun.

Britain has around 9,500 troops in Afghanistan, mainly based in Helmand province, and has suffered 425 deaths since the start of operations there in 2001.

“Prince Harry, like any soldier, considers it a great honor to represent his country in her majesty’s armed forces wherever it chooses to deploy him,” St James’s Palace said in a statement.

Harry did not speak as he arrived in Helmand, and was not expected to comment publicly on his work for several weeks.

The prince’s previous posting as a battlefield air traffic controller in Afghanistan in late 2007 and early 2008 lasted only 10 weeks. It was cut short after his deployment was made public.

Britain’s defense ministry had asked the news media not to report information surrounding the prince’s deployment, saying the publicity could put him and his colleagues in greater danger, but an Australian magazine not aware of the agreement broke the news. It was picked up by both the Drudge Report website and a German publication.

With his typical humor, Harry joked at the time about his nickname “the bullet magnet.” His job was to direct attack helicopters and fighter jets to targets on the ground.

But with that time in Afghanistan, Harry became the first member of the British royal family to serve in a war zone since his uncle, Prince Andrew, flew as a helicopter pilot in the 1982 Falklands war with Argentina.

Next Saturday, the prince will celebrate his 28th birthday at Camp Bastion — but he won’t be able to raise a toast with one of his beloved cocktails. The desert compound, which is next door to the U.S. military’s Camp Leatherneck base, is an alcohol-free zone.

Before leaving for Afghanistan, Harry said farewell to his immediate family at Queen Elizabeth II’s private estate in Scotland, Balmoral, and stopped to see his brother Prince William at his Kensington Palace home in London earlier this week.

St James’s Palace said Prince Charles was “immensely proud of his son” and he and the queen had been briefed on the details of Harry’s deployment.

Harry was met Friday at Camp Bastion by Royal Navy Capt. Jock Gordon, commander of the Joint Aviation Group.

“Working alongside his colleagues in the squadron, he will be in a difficult and demanding job,” Gordon said.

Britain’s defense ministry decided to confirm Harry’s deployment this time after a threat assessment concluded that making the details public would not put Harry or his colleagues at any additional risk.

In an interview last March, Harry insisted he was eager to return to combat after training to fly Apache helicopters, including at U.S. bases in California and southern Arizona.

“I’ve served my country. I enjoyed it because I was with my friends. And, you know, everyone has a part to play,” he told CBS News.

“You can’t train people and then not put them into the role they need to play. For me personally, as I said, I want to serve my country. I’ve done it once, and I’m still in the Army, I feel as though I should get the opportunity to do it again,” he said then.

In May 2007, the British military prevented Harry from heading out on a planned six-month tour of duty to Iraq because the risks to his safety were deemed too great.

___

AP reporter David Stringer in London wrote this story with information based on a pool report from Afghanistan.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...