TV for a monitor?

I tried going with tv before - a lower end LED 42" 1080p. Was absolutely horrid and eye twisting experience. went back to good old 24" LCD monitor after second evening of unsucesfull tweaking.

With your TV you will experience loss of detail as you going to loose lines (~720 instead of 1024) and the TV might do funky things as it processes the picture . Try it though so you know for sure

Good monitor required to have good picture, no way around it...

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

Using a Vizio 42" HDTV and I couldn't be happier... I've had the opportunity to run the sim on a high quality 24" computer moniter and I couldn't see anything! (Because my eyes are spoiled by those extra inches :))

...I'm sure HDTVs have plenty of disadvantages (although I haven't noticed any of the ones memtioned by Agrasyuk) but the size difference for the price is amazing. My TV is 1080p with 120 hrz. It doesn't display the sim at 720 or have any tearing issues. It also cost about $500 bucks

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

If it's this one: "Panasonic Viera TC-L26X1 26-inch 720p LCD HDTV", I would say it could give you headache, it has 8ms response time. So don't be too near the screen and don't use a TrackIr.

A wiser (and more expensive) choice can be the purchase of a dedicated PC screen like those screens:

Google them...

Iiyama ProLite B2409HDS

Iiyama ProLite B2475HDS

Acer H243HX

Samsung SyncMaster P2470H

So many...

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

I have run DCS on a 46" Sony 1080p HD 3D TV. It looks fantastic and works well.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

I think the key here is screen quality. Before the cheap pos 42" I tried our main TV - nice somewhat higher end 47" led 3d Samsung. Aside of being to big for my application and to bright to sit up close the picture was really nice actually. So nice TVs do work very nice. The budjet 400$ panel was absolutley not cutting it... got what I paid for I guess.

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

Been using a 32" 720p TV as my screen for six years now. Can't complain other than max resolution is 1366 and the choices of resolutions are very limited. Sitting half a meter from it hours each day could also be a factor in my progressively worsening eyesight :D

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Thanks guys for the replies. :thumbup: The TV does have a 9ms response time so I'll see how that works. I think I'll give it a try this weekend and see what happens. Really liked that one setup with the TV for the cockpit and the monitor for the instruments. My wife said that wasnt happening in our den though...:lol:

Edited by racketyjack

See my Sig.

I wouldn't go back, those who say there is quality loss bought cheap ones methinks?

In my experience you get what you pay for and its worth paying more to save your eyesight if nothing else.

J.

Rig: Home Built, water cooled,i5 2500K @ 4.3Ghz, ASUS P8P67Pro Mobo, 8GB Patriot Viper 2 Sector 5 RAM, MSI Nvidia GTX970 4GB Gaming OC, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Boot, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Games (BS & WH), Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB other,

Samsung UE37D5000 37" LED TV,EloTouch 1600x1200 secondary, Thrustmaster Warthog No.467, Thrustmaster MFD, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR4 with Track Clip Pro.

Ex RAF Aircrew, Real Life Pilot, proud Geek and father of one :)

TV's tend to have more input lag than dedicated computer screens but you can find TV's that don't have problems with it. The thing is that it's not always easy to find out how much input lag a certain tv has. I have Samsung 46" LED 3D TV and couldn't play flight sims without it. Input lag in 3D is horrendous but in PC/DVI mode it's mostly unnoticeable and slight annoyance only in reaction time based fps games. You can't see the lag but with experience you can "feel" it. I still enjoy playing fps games with it and can kick butt despite the minor lag. With flight sims there's really no difference other than seeing targets better and enjoying the experience a lot more than with a small "proper" computer display. The picture quality after adjusting picture settings in my TV is better than in cheap monitors.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

I run a 52 inch Panasonic Plasma and have since ED came out with the A10 Beta..would not go back to a monitor...I sit 9 feet from the screen...Looks great to me..see sig for system

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I have experimented with 2 diff triple monitor setups: (1280x1024-1920x1080-1280x1024 and 1920x1080 times 3)

Triple 1920x1080 was too wide and too narrow I thought. The FOV never quite looked right and the fisheye effect was really bad. Also setting it up for ALL sims was a pain.

I then decided to try out my 42" LCD Samsung, and it is great!!! Like someone said earlier, at around 3' it makes the 3D pits feel almost life-size.

My next experiment is going to be with my 46" LED Samsung that's in the living room... just gotta convince my wife the simpit needs it more than the living room lol!!

As mentioned earlier, it is very important to have it mounted at the correct level. I have mine where I'm looking right at the center of it. 46" and up you probably want to be looking slightly above center maybe...

Post some pics of your setup!!

I'm thinking of going with a 42" or bigger when I get back. I just have to see where my pit is going to go and if I will have the room. I have a 42" LCD in the living room, might steal that one for my pit and get a bigger one in the living room. Having your TV mounted is a big difference then having it at eye level. The TV now looks too small, need a 55" at least.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

I'm using a JVC blackcrystal 32" 1080p tv right now. It's about 3 feet in front of me and the center of the screen is eye level. I find it to be quite satisfactory in all regards.

I was using a cheap 720p 32" before, but the low resolution and washed out colors were irritating, especially sitting so close.

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

Ok, got it working. The 720p isnt terrible, but it certainly is not optimal. Running a res at 1280X720X32. Is is on the desk in front of me OVER arms length away and I can still feel the strain on my eyes. I would like to tune down the brightness a bit but I found I brought the wrong controller home with me. It was the cable company controller and not the TV's. Whoops... so, still got a bit of tweaking to do before I decide to keep this. My 1280X1024 19inch worked perfectly well and looked good to boot. I did notice in DCS world that the exit button no longer lights up so I have to cntrl/alt/del to get out of the game. Not sure what is going on there. Tried several different video settings to no avail.

I do have a question though. Is there anyway to disable to HDMI input sound in the TV and use the Sound Blaster card and headphones I was using before? Thank you fellas for all the input, much appreciated.

Ok, got the sound issue figured out in the control panel.

Edited by racketyjack

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking of changing my 23 inch monitor to a 32 inch (max with i can go with my pc in it's current location). The dedicated pc monitors are really expensive but lcd tv's are alot cheaper and easier to come by. Whats the minumum response time, refresh rate, resolution etc specs i should look for?