what controllers for the A10

There is only one choice. Spend the extra $100 and fly the way you're meant to fly. Not spending that little bit extra will just cause you to have to map and remember a billion button combos instead of concentrating on just flying.

The Warthog is worth every cent. For A-10C there's nothing better.

Other than that the Saitek X-52 is all ya need.

yup! I upgraded from a X45 to a warthog.... just unbelievable improvement. So much more precise....and just plain badass

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

I'm currently using the Saitek X52. It still lacks buttons for all the HOTAS controls in the A10C, but this can be overcome by using 2 buttons as modifiers. This all in game setup, no profiles used. That way I am able to have all the HOTAS controls on my stick assigned according to the real HOTAS (makes it more intuitive to remember them).

Theoretically, you can go with an ever cheaper stick, provided it has enough buttons to use as modifiers, but I imagine that anything less than an X52 might be problematic. You can also go with the old school HOKAS set (hands on keyboard and stick), it's still possible to play.

Anyway, unless you get a TM Warthog (plus pedals), you will still need to configure your controls. It's is a bit of a pain, but if you print out the A-10 HOTAS part from the manual and equip some patience, you should probably be able to assign everything in a way that it will feel right to remember even with you current stick.

My suggestion is, get the sim first. Spend some time doing trainings, with the stick you have, and once you get fairly comfortable with the A-10 and are certain such complicated simulations are something to you fancy (trust me, I have this sim for a year now, and I still just feel like I scratched the surface), then think about getting better toys to fly with. ;)

PS Note also, that DCS requires a beast hardware to run properly - the recommended specs on the page are more of a minimum to actually play with a descent framerate.

@mmaruda missed ur post answering kylania. I can't see spending $450 and then I don't like the sim. I could get the x52 pro and then pedals later. No prob for me to config hotas. AMD 8150/120gSSD/16gb/2 gts250; AC blows into box, cpu runs @ 21c.

x52 vs x52 pro any major diff?

The X-52 is perfectly fine for this. Its affordable while still being really functional. Biggest issues you'll have are with how floppy the stick is. Luckily there are some very simple and relatively low risk modifications you can make to your stick to make it much better.

Stiffen the spring by just putting a donut shaped piece of plastic between the top of the spring the bottom of the stick (I used one tutorial that recommended using part of the top of the case of one of those 50 or 100 packs of DVDs, took 5 minutes mostly cause my Xacto was dull) and then you can do the magnet mod which repositions the magnets around the Hall sensor and when you look at how simple it is you wonder what crack the engineers at Saitek were on since it creates huge improvement, allegedly (still gotta do this one).

In either case its easy to get a good X-52 set up going. I own 3 X-52s all of which I got on Craigslist and I think between the three of them it cost less than a brand new one.

I still know that the TM Warthog is godly, but for those of us who can't afford it the X-52 is the best bet and since all current gen HOTAS manufacturers inexplicably decided to directly compete with Thrustmaster's price point (no idea why since that makes the choice in that price bracket stupidly simple *cough* TM *cough*) the X-52/X-52Pro is still practically the only affordable HOTAS around.

Also, I'd personally recommend putting the rest of the money into Rudder Pedals and/or a Trackir. Trackir is I think more important than your stick (so long as the stick is a HOTAS) and Rudder Pedals just round it all out since performing a coordinated turn with the X-52s twist rudder is just not accurate.

Also, if you get the TM Warthog you basically have to buy a rudder pedal set up. So the X-52 also gives you time to get by til you can afford some Rudder pedals (which frankly has more options for the affordable price bracket than the HOTAS does).

CH Fighters stick is still pretty much #2 in terms of accuracy in terms of stick fidelity, but still you dont' have a rudder control and it costs as much as an X-52 or more and you still haven't got your Throttle yet.

So the long and the short of it is... either blow huge cash on the TM Warthog and budget in a Trackir and a Rudder set up which will probably bring everything into the $600+ range or just get an X-52 and have plenty more cash to throw at the other components. I did the latter and its been very good to me. Still going to get a TM Warthog one day but... well the economy being what it is.... ;)

Edited by P*Funk

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

The X-52 is perfectly fine and wonderful joystick once you find a good profile for it and can remember what combo of buttons does what HOTAS feature.

The Thurstmaster Warthog is just so much better it's absolutely no comparison. Getting one will COMPLETELY change the game for you. It's absolutely worth the extra money.

Also, I'd personally recommend putting the rest of the money into Rudder Pedals and/or a Trackir. Trackir is I think more important than your stick (so long as the stick is a HOTAS) and Rudder Pedals just round it all out since performing a coordinated turn with the X-52s twist rudder is just not accurate.

tnx, I looked at the TM Warthog and x52 pro initially, but the x52 is priced right (I don't have a prob makin mods, so I'll try ur suggestion); with pedals later, I can use them with the TM if I decide to upgrade, and give the x52 away to my nephew. The CH looked too cheap. all the replies were helpful though.

my next Q was 3 monitors, I have 2 and a third is only $100. Does the Trackir work with the 3, does the sim support 3 or more? 15 ya I played Doom with the IO Glasses so the Trackir would be cool to have.

posted too fast

is the Saitek PRO Flight Throttle Quadrant (not the x52 throttle) or CH PRO throttle overkill

The throttle quadrant is not what you want for the A-10 (I personally do not like the product but that is not at issue here). A single or dual throttle is all that you need.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The X-52 is perfectly fine and wonderful joystick once you find a good profile for it and can remember what combo of buttons does what HOTAS feature.

The Thurstmaster Warthog is just so much better it's absolutely no comparison. Getting one will COMPLETELY change the game for you. It's absolutely worth the extra money.

tnx, Warthog does look like it is better than the rest by far. but a mortgage payment for flight sim gear is a stretch. I'll jump slowly into this for now.

I got family in Marietta.

The throttle quadrant is not what you want for the A-10 (I personally do not like the product but that is not at issue here). A single or dual throttle is all that you need.

I see that the TM is dual and the x52 single, but is the quadrant redundant or useful for the dual engine A10 with an x52

You can get the X52 pro pretty cheap if you shop around on ebay...142.xx roughly. Shop around. In the end, whatever you use, you will like the dcs series sim...warthog and all:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMP WIZARD "Forest Gumble" "When the air becomes electric....It's like a box of chocolates":captain:

Windows 11 Pro 64 bit | Intel Alder Lake i7 12700KF | Asus Prime Z690M Plus D4 | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200 | EVGA GTX 1070 SC @1594MHz/4000 MHz 8GB | 1x42" Multi Touch Screen and 1x27" 4k widescreen | Saitek x52 Pro |

I meant something like the Saitek PRO Flight Throttle Quadrant for PC, not the throttle in the x52 package. Is the Saitek PRO Flight Throttle Quadrant for PC redundant with an x52?

Yes.

EDIT: Having two throttles is nice but not a neccesity.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

You can get the X52 pro pretty cheap if you shop around on ebay...142.xx roughly. Shop around. In the end, whatever you use, you will like the dcs series sim...warthog and all:)

tnx, saw the ebay prices, gonna check craigslist tomorrow, the dcs looks shoulders above 'other' sims.