Wind direction?

SharpeXB

The wind direction given by the ATC is the direction the wind is coming FROM correct?

I'm trying to figure why on the first challenge campaign mission they say winds from 191 but tell me to take off on runway 10

shouldn't I be taking off into the wind?

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

If you're told to use RW 100 then it's opposite should be 28. Now, rw 10 means it's magnetic heading is somewhere between 95º and 104º. The opposite rw 28 will be oriented somewhere between 275º and 284º. Now, I do not know the magnetic declination of the area used for the DCS scenery at that airport, but you should add/subtract it from 191º because reported winds are allways TRUE, so... in the end your aircraft could easily takeoff from either rw because it will be experimenting on each case an almost full (90º) crosswind anyway...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

In the U.S., ATIS wind direction is given in magnetic and is the directiion the wind is coming from. See the Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) 4-1-13.

Wind direction given by the Tower controller is also magnetic, and velocity is in knots. AIM 4-3-6

METAR and TAF wind directions are given in reference to True North.

In Aviation wind is always given From (direction the wind is coming from).

Not sure how DCS has this implemented. The ATC system in DCS definitely needs work, and will be especially important when the Nevada map comes out. Seems to me that they willl need to implement a U.S. ATC system which will include appropriate alimeter settings and wind in knots, etc...

In the DCS Mission Editor, the wind selection is backwards. For example, if you enter 090 the wind will actually be coming from 270.