Reworked Cockpit Views with proper Neck

Yes it does, thing is, EDs camera unnaturally travels forward and once you look at your 4 o clock your neck is on top of flight stick mounting or even more in front. Getting rid of it with Proper Neck on any aircraft immerses a lot. For me the most prominent change is on Warthog and Flanker as these are aircrafts I fly all the time. I just recently removed the mod to see if ED improved, but they did not. It's terrible to me when my virtual neck transits forward in aircraft each time I turn left or right.. It makes me sick now. Prefer the mod. It's best feeling, it's like apple, it just works as expected.

actually that is realistic as a humans neck cannot rotate back like that. You really begin to understand how hard it is to check six, its a full body movement not just neck and ed somewhat simulates that along with this mod. I never realised this until i got my DK2 oculus rift and then you truly understand what truly rotates on your body in the pit. You now know why theirs grab handles in the pit lol.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Yes it does, thing is, EDs camera unnaturally travels forward and once you look at your 4 o clock your neck is on top of flight stick mounting or even more in front. Getting rid of it with Proper Neck on any aircraft immerses a lot. For me the most prominent change is on Warthog and Flanker as these are aircrafts I fly all the time. I just recently removed the mod to see if ED improved, but they did not. It's terrible to me when my virtual neck transits forward in aircraft each time I turn left or right.. It makes me sick now. Prefer the mod. It's best feeling, it's like apple, it just works as expected.

I think camera is default placed there. It doesn't travel but you see it when you turn your head. Yo don't need a mod that modifies many parameters for altering that simple position. imho.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

You think, but you can prove yourself wrong with little experiment and video. Look straight down, note the spot, then look straight ahead.. turn camera max left or right, and look down again.. Your neck is now between stick and front panel (Su27 without proper neck user files). Now install my files provided in this thread and try again.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

You think, but you can prove yourself wrong with little experiment and video. Look straight down, note the spot, then look straight ahead.. turn camera max left or right, and look down again.. Your neck is now between stick and front panel (Su27 without proper neck user files). Now install my files provided in this thread and try again.

Any demo vids?

Yes, Bucic, posted one before, but without demonstrating how it looks in reference to cockpit floor (before and after) because found this explanation before not important as it is basically so obvious the moment you install the files that finally your head is not transiting 'on rails' like fixed movie camera fwd each time you turn to check your 4-8 o'clock. The 'feel' of immersion is absolutely different with mod, more natural then without it being then very sterile camera operation, not like any real person would ever experience cockpit view perspectives. Why ED does not let this mod be part of ingame functions yet I do not know, could be one of better new optional features of DCS2 cockpit views. I suppose it may receive UI function, since it is not a real mod in whole sense, but user controlled legitimate tweak without interference with game files or online play.

Edited by Shaman

tail# 44 or 444

I haven't seen the video but was it with or without headtracking? Any tests must be made without 6dof headtracking as it adds movements in all directions and messes any tests.

This is my only little problem with this mod. So many personal setting can affect the experience that it becomes best to understand how to tweak the default position and movement range.

Basically even if you are right Shamandgg, is better for everyone to tweak his own numbers. As PeterP also suggested.

Would be even beter if visual tweaking and saving position and angles would be provided within the game UI.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Anyone can download files and test using keyboard view controls or with TIR, result is the same.

tail# 44 or 444

here is how it looks at my side without this mod

and these are my settings:

the server.lua part

the important numbers are:

1. eye point on absolute 0. this means no neck/head/eye simulated like this mod does but all is done by properly placing the default camera and allowing the shoulder setting to do its job.

2. zoom limits are 20° in and 90°out which is also the default zoom set in snapviews.lua

3. angle limits are self explanatory... 200° lateral to really see the six and 110° up/down for not hitting a boundary when tracking something on the canopy or when looking down at the buttons (same setting I use for pits with clickable buttons)

4. shoulder set to 20cm (this makes the head move laterally once view passes 90° of turn.

FXCJtM5.png

the snapviews.lua part:

the important numbers are:

1. view angle set to max zoom out from server.lua at 90°

2. vertical angle is 10° down as we naturally look a bit down

3. all the rest are to 0. no head moved forward or any awkward settings.

yAWmuQQ.png

the lateral translation is due to shoulder setting and is really nice but it would look better if the pilot body would twist when we move the head. but the visual oddity is something acceptable and disappear completely for people that don't play with pilot body rendered.

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

I am using this mod with TrackIR in the P-51, and the horizontal movement it's very helpful for checking 6. However, the "neck movement" when looking up/down I find distracting for operating the gunsight; my sight quickly vanishes with even the slightest movement up or down.

Is there a way to keep the side-to-side neck movement, but restore the vertical neck to default? I can't seem to find the relevant values in the .LUA

Two things you might try are going into the Track IR software and reducing the speed slider. Another thing to try would be to create a deadzone for vertical movement in the Track IR software. That would allow up and down head movement with no response from Track IR until the edge of the deadzone is reached. I have dead zones set for both horizontal and vertical movement. I hope this makes sense.

Two things you might try are going into the Track IR software and reducing the speed slider. Another thing to try would be to create a deadzone for vertical movement in the Track IR software. That would allow up and down head movement with no response from Track IR until the edge of the deadzone is reached. I have dead zones set for both horizontal and vertical movement. I hope this makes sense.

I get all that, I've spent untold hours tweaking track IR settings. What irks me is the way the mod automatically adds vertical Y head movement when looking up. Is there a way to keep the mod's horizontal "neck" but remove the vertical one?

I get all that, I've spent untold hours tweaking track IR settings. What irks me is the way the mod automatically adds vertical Y head movement when looking up. Is there a way to keep the mod's horizontal "neck" but remove the vertical one?

I don't know. I created my own cockpit view that works better than the mod for me. If you start in default view with Track IR on you can find the view that you like, pause Track IR and save it using RHTALT+NUM0. Then unpause Track IR. Be sure to hit the F1 key before you make changes.

Another thing to consider is that if your Track IR camera is more than 18 inches away from your hat or proclip you will have control problems regardless of settings.

Edited by Blooze

• 2 weeks later...

Please .. I need help.

I tried installing this MOD (re: Shoulder Width) and have ever since been trying to save my Default Position in the aircraft (all aircraft).

It doesn't seem to matter what I do, I cannot get back to the Default seating/head position or more importantly, I cannot Save a New/Custom Position.

Using the keys as required to move my seat back, down, left/right etc and customizing my FOV is not the problem. The problem is being able to SAVE that position so that when I hit my TrackIR Center button I can return to that custom/default position.

Any time I have tried to set and save this position, I have Paused my TrackIR first ... moved as described above then hit RAlt+Num0.

However, every single time I get into a new plane (i.e. P-51), I am returned to a position with my face almost up against the cockpit firewall (no .. NOT Zoomed ... just too close). Certainly nothing is being saved.

I have since removed the Shoulder Width Files and have tried to restore back to the original state to no avail. BTW - Said modification really played havoc with my Huey Co-Pilot views. But removing the mod has restored that at least.

Can someone PLEASE tell me how to Save My Seat/Head Position once and for all ?

Thanks in Advance.

SnowTiger:joystick:

If you go to your saved games/DCS/config folder just delete the VIEW folder and fly a mission all views will be restored to default. If you then want to modify the forward cockpit view just be sure to hit the F1 key first, then find view and hit RALT+NUM0. Also, if you go to DCS Options MISC tab, be sure that user snap view saving is checked.

Edited by Blooze

Thanks Blooze ... I'll give it a shot.

One thing I have NOT been doing is hitting F1 before trying to set anything up ... nor have I deleted the entire View Folder (only the files in it).

SO I'll give it a try and report back soon.

Thanks again.

I did Delete the User/Save Games ... View Folder.

I paused my TIR, hit F1, Num5, NumEnter and then set my position.

NOTHING !!

I do have my TIR Z Axis set to Zoom ... but I have always had it that way (that is, when I lean forward, everything zooms in ... inside and outside the cockpit).

Even when I changed the Z axis so that I could use a Scroll Wheel on my Throttle for zoom, it still wouldn't save my custom center position.

I'm at a loss. I don't remember having ANY of these issues when setting up views with ANY Mod/Aircraft since I started using DCS.

Polaris1, can you please define exactly how I "should" have my TIR outside zooming set ?

And is this something that can be set back to the way I like AFTER I finally get the default view set the way I like (if ever !!) ??

Thanks again.

I'm going to give it another shot again today. But to be sure, it seems to me that I won't be able to make any seat/head adjustments until AFTER I have paused TIR !! Right ?

Just the same, for some reason, my RAlt+Num0 just doesn't seem to save anything ... even though that certainly is the correct key combination (which I have never changed and confirm remains the default key combo in Options).

Hi PeterP

I've searched this thread but don't seem to find an answer so...

I have triple screens and Properneck does it's job but not until I am screwed around so far that in effect it is only working for the middle screen. My left screen is just full of seat back. Is there a way to get the shoulder movement working a little earlier in the rotation so that my rear view is visible on my side screen instead of the middle one?

Thanks,

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

how to setup view so that your head is further back against the seat?

This way

(Yes - I know how hard it is for some of you to look it up your own in the options ...)

Disable/Pause your Track-IR/Head-tracker while doing it !

"Num/ - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Back

"Num5" Cockpit Camera Move Center

"Num2 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Down

"Num* - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Forward

"Num8 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Up

"Num8" Turn Cockpit Camera Up

"Num2" Turn Cockpit Camera Down

"Num/" FOV- aka Zoom-in

"Num*" FOV+ aka Zoom-out

"NumEnter" Default FOV aka Zoom

Once you are satisfied , after using above key-commands,

just use following key-command to save this view as default:

"RAlt+Num0" Save current Cockpit view as default for this vehicle

I didn't find it hard to find the instructions at all because I DO read manuals and tons of threads/posts.

The problem for me is the views Will NOT Save.

I have followed these simple instructions to the Letter .... DOZENS OF TIMES. And yet every single time I climb in a bird, I am forced to go through it all over again.

Now I have deleted the VIEW Folder from my saved games/DCS/config folder many times. As expected, a new view folder/files is created each time.

I am starting to wonder if I don't also need to delete the corresponding (same name) files etc from the Main DCS World directory before any of this will take ?

BTW - I have tried the above with TrackIR Paused (since that is the only way to make the seat adjustments anyway) BUT I have also tried doing it while TIR is NOT even loaded. That is .... I don't even start TIR before I go into DCS.

STILL no luck.

I have tried ALL the methods in Single Player as well as Multi-Player (thinking THAT might have an affect ..... NOPE).

So either something has changed with the way DCS works since these instructions were created OR my installation is euchred and I simply need to reinstall everything AGAIN ... which will be a giant P Off.

Can anyone tell me what if anything the Main Directory View Files do (C:/Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World/Config/View ... FILES) ? I know I probably can cut/copy and save them elsewhere while I experiment but I don't want to screw even more up.

Can I delete them without creating even more problems ?

Might this be part of the solution ?

Is anyone else finding the above instruction No Longer Work ?

Inside the View folder from "user files" does the game also creates the files Server.lua and snapviews.lua?

Also for new modules the settings are stored inside view.lua files inside mod directory (for Mig21 is 03_Views.lua)

also

make sure you have checked this in options

TqRe5Hw.png

or this line in view.lua from Config/Views from game folder

DisableSnapViewsSaving = false

Try to make your settings without TIR started because it tends to complicate things as it can move the head forward or backward.

To resore to original you need to delete:

server.lua and snapviews.lua from "User files \ saved games" etc

Server.lua and snapviewsdefault.lua from Config/Views from game folder

Then from each module you want to restore, delete the Views.lua files from within module folder (or 03_Views.lua from \DCS World\Mods\aircraft\MIG-21BIS\Entry for Mig21) then do a DCS World repair. Make sure you disable all the mods before doing it and also that you don't have any view mod that you reactivate after that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]