Reworked Cockpit Views with proper Neck

what do we do if RAlt-Num0 doesn't save for us??

i get everything set up like i like it, but when i come off pause i'm still too jammed up into the HUD

its like this on all the modules

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How exactly does this mod work in VR? Tried it and saw no difference. I put the files in Saved Games/DCS/Config/View

+1 On this. The original post seems all about TrackIR, nothing regarding VR.

Modules: F-14A/B, A-10C, F/A-18C

Hardware: Thrustmaster T.16000M, Samsung Odyssey Plus

System: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.90, EVGA FTW3 1080ti, ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, G.Skill Trident Z 16GB @2933, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, 2 x 1TB HDD in Raid 0

No clue about VR... Best is to play with the values in Server.lua and check if there is any difference.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

• 2 months later...

Hi, in VR is very easy too.

This is what I found:

In sim_folder\config\View\Server.lua it works the same way with or without VR

In line 29 you already have ShoulderSize = 0.2 , so it is activated for all airplanes, so you don't need to do anything (if you are happy with that setting in the airplane you are flying).

And change the eyepoint inside the view settings for the airplane that you wish. In a10-c I liked this eyepoint:

EyePoint = {0.050000,0.090000,0.000000}, (my true neck)

In user\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\SnapViews.lua

There is a new snap view in each airplane: 14, this will be the default view for VR. For example, I have my a-10c like this:

[14] = {--default view - VR

viewAngle = 75.000000,--FOV

hAngle = 0.0, -- (TIlt left/right)

vAngle = -10.0, -- (Tilt up/down)

x_trans = 0.25, -- (Forward/Backward)

y_trans = 0.016843, --(up/down)

z_trans = 0.0, -- (Left/Right)

rollAngle = 0.0, -- (Roll Left/RIght)

The only thing I didn't change were the limits_6DOF but I could put my head outside the cockpit, but to do that I have to stand up or go outside the chair..so I will not loose time with that.

Edited by pringliano

There is a new snap view in each airplane: 14, this will be the default view for VR.

I was wondering what that Snapview was for ... thanks for clearing that up :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 3 months later...
Anyone know how to get this working for the F-16??? Thanks :)

Add these lines to the server.lua file:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4063315&postcount=90

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

• 8 months later...

Do You Have the P-47D 30

I have found your files for neck position very helpful. As far as I know the last plane you added was lines for the F-16. I know the P-47D 30 is a new plane. I am hoping you can add some lines to this post for the P-47D 30. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thank You, johnjar

P-47D and F-16C added.

FOV is set to 100 in the files. Just change the second gCameraViewAngleLimitsvalue in server.lua and run replace for "viewAngle = 100.000000" in snapviews to change it to your preferred one.

I was really scratching my head whether I should buy P-47 but I'm really happy I did. It's a great module with a really well done cockpit :thumbup:

Edit: Forgot to attach the files :)

Server.lua

SnapViews.lua

Edited by firmek
  • Like 1

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Are you going to add the A-10C II to your files? Or should we just copy from the A-10C and use it for the A-10C II? I do not know what changes DCS has made that are related to this. Thanks for all the work you have done for all the planes.

johnjar

I am using these 2 files serverllua + Snapsview.lua as provided and all is perfect , except for the F18 which at default zoom on my axis it pushes my head too close to the HUD, so I have to zoom out completely in order to get a "normal" FOV view.

How can I correct it ?

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

A-10C II added. FOV set to 100 - edit to match your preferences.

Thanks a lot for sharing these updates :thumbup:

• Like 1

I am using these 2 files serverllua + Snapsview.lua as provided and all is perfect , except for the F18 which at default zoom on my axis it pushes my head too close to the HUD, so I have to zoom out completely in order to get a "normal" FOV view.

How can I correct it ?

My mistake. Missed F18. It had FOV set to 63, which would mean the view is quite zoomed-in.

Updated the SnapViews.lua and re-uploaded both files to avoid confusion.

Though it's really a file that is recommended for everyone to set up to match own preferences. (google for DCS snap views).

SnapViews.lua

Server.lua

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

My mistake. Missed F18. It had FOV set to 63, which would mean the view is quite zoomed-in.

Though it's really a file that is recommended for everyone to set up to match own preferences. (google for DCS snap views).

hi , could you pls let me know how to change the fov?

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

• 3 weeks later...

@firmekYesterday I started using the two modified files for: 

• Reworked Cockpit Views with proper Neck 
  • Very interesting history starting back on page 1, nine years ago by PeterP and now "adopted" by @firmek
  1. Thank you!  - I am having a lot of fun exploring how these configuration changes help my view in the modules I own. 
  2. Are there any CONS to using the latest Server.lua and SnapViews.lua that you most recently posted on October 26th? 

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

• 1 month later...

So I have used this mod since originally released with good results. However, with the latest release posted above by firmek, the A-10C II pilot viewpoint is literally up against the front instrument panel. Is there a way to correct this?

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

On 10/26/2020 at 1:32 PM, firmek said:

SnapViews.lua 200.92 kB · 88 downloads

Server.lua 25.36 kB · 91 downloads

Firmek, I have been a long time user of this mod...since it first came out actually. I have been flying the F/A-18C usually the last few years, however I hopped back in the saddle in the A-10C II with your last file. I was surprised to see my face all the way up against the front instrument panel, with zoom off. I set an axis for zoom and to my surprise again this was actually the view zoomed all the way out. The hornet cockpit seems fine although seated a few inches too high, however I can set seat height for that. Here is a screen shot so you have an idea of what I'm working with. BTW this is with Track IR 5, trueview off. 

1.jpg

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

• 2 months later...

@firmek

do those files still work as intended?

Somehow the fov in the F14B doesn‘t reflect, what is set in the snapview.lua.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

somehow, the snapview.lua won‘t work anymore for me.

Regardless of either editing the snapview in savedgames by hand or saving via alt+num0, when I restart the mission or the game, it will always reload the defaults from the view.lua in the main-game mods/aircraft folder....

any help, please?

EDIT: Stupid me! The "allow user saved snapviews" option was disabled..... 😬 Everything workes fine again.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Hi Guys.

I've updated both snapviews and server.lua.

Snapviews.lua:

1. The file was regenerated from scratch with 2.7. This means all head position and snap-views settings are now fresh and as provided with the latest version of the modules. This should solve problems mentioned in the posts above.

2. Checked and set FOV (field of view) for default view in all modules to 100. In previous version there had been quite a few of modules that had been not updated.

3. The vertical angle offset between the view and in-game head position was reset to 0 for all planes. What this means that for instance for TrackIR users, there will be no longer situation that if they keep their head horizontally the virtual pilot is looking slightly down. This offset is defined independently by each of the DCS modules. Some planes have it to 0 deg, others to 7, 15, etc.. . Now all are set to 0.

To edit the FOV and vertical angle offset just look for following lines (comments have been added)

[13] = {--default view
        viewAngle        = 100.000000,--DEFAULT FOV
        vAngle            = 0.000000,-- DEFAULT VANGLE

This should make any changes very easy. Just edit the file and run find/replace all instances of "viewAngle        = 100.000000,--DEFAULT FOV" to set the default FOV to adesired value. Don't forget there is a connected setting for min/max FOV in Server.lua: "local gCameraViewAngleLimits    = {20.000000, 100.000000}".

Note that VR settings:

[14] = {--default view - VR

have not been updated and thus are as defined as originally by each of the modules.  I don't have a VR set so I don't maintain those files for VR.

Server.lua

1. Added missing Spitfire, P-47 and F-14 variants. Updated A10C and A10C II.

2. Camera angle limits (those define how much head can move left/right, down, up) are now set globally to the same value for all of the modules (200, -90, 90). To change edit "local gCameraAngleLimits        = {200.000000, -90.000000, 90.000000}"

Server.lua SnapViews.lua

Edited by firmek
  • Thanks 2