Reworked Cockpit Views with proper Neck

@firmek

I‘m a great fan of your work. Since I first discovered the „proper neck“ mod, I use it constantly and it sorted out a lot of my earlier view-related issues (of which I had plenty).

By now I am able to confidently modify the server.lua and snapview.lua on my own, by observing and learning from your tweaks.

When I first started I found the default views uncomfortable narrow (e.g. in the A-10) and tended to zooming out a lot, which gives a good overview, but warped the image and is plain unrealistic. After doing some research and math I figured that a „realistic“ fov (depending on the size and distance of your monitor setup) is closer to 60 (if the distance to your monitor is equal to its width its = 60 fov). 60 is very close though and it‘s still an imperfect simulator, so I settled for a hard max fov of 90 in the server.lua (and a min of 50).

The good thing is, that that is easily done and can be adjusted for personal taste in a second.

I also made the settings for every module pretty much the same, which is easy done, once you learned how those files works - again, thank you for that.

I even could get rid of this annoying offset in the german warbirds. 🙂

My only suggestion/ minor criticism is though - I think you‘re making a mistake by setting all the default vAngles to 0. That was my first thought, too, but I came to the conclusion, that it doesn’t work. Not all cockpits are the same. E.g. the seat in the f-16 is angled a lot, in helicopters you will have a more downward facing default view and so on....

Of course this is debatable and opinionated but I think, in this particular case, the defaults are the better choice than setting all to zero.

Cheers!

EDIT: another „win“ of a smaller fov, once you get accustomed to it, is the increased readability of the dials. It‘s very relaxing for the eyes.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

@firmekthanks for your latest update in 2.7.

I have similar experiences and comments as @Hiob.

• I felt that FOV of 90 was the best compromise overall for me. However for some Warbirds I experimented with going as low as a FOV of 70.  
  • If I had a ULTRA ULTRA Wide or 3 Screen setup a 60 FOV would probably be outstanding.  
  • I recently tried one of the popular Race Car Simulators and not surprising the FOV Calculators recommend 55 to 60 degrees for my Resolution, Monitor Size and Distance to screen. Not really a surprise.

Thanks again.. Cheers. 

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

12 hours ago, Hiob said:

@firmek

By now I am able to confidently modify the server.lua and snapview.lua on my own, by observing and learning from your tweaks.

That is great. I would highly recommend for every-one using those files to understand how to edit them. I don't consider those files as a usual copy-paste mod.

As for the FOV, to be honest much depends on the personal taste and also equipment. I have a wide-screen monitor, anything less than 90 gives me too much of a tunnel vision, 100 seems to be a nice compromise for me but it doesn't mean it will work for everyone. That's why I try to post an instruction and explain how to change those values.

Considering the vAngle. Let me play with it a bit more and see how it feels. The whole reason why I've got into editing those files was to have the same view settings across all the modules. I've found having different FOV, min FOV, max FOV, shoulder size etc...very annoying. From that perspective neutralizing the vAngle made sense as I feel the difference and have fish for the horizontal setting between TIR and cockpit view each time on entering a different cockpit.

• Like 1

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

1 hour ago, firmek said:

The whole reason why I've got into editing those files was to have the same view settings across all the modules. I've found having different FOV, min FOV, max FOV, shoulder size etc...very annoying.

Completely agree with that. Same for me. I just don‘t think that the same principle applies to the vAngle.

I mean, FOV and Shouler size simulate the limitations of a real body. In reality we can‘t adjust our FOV (hence I strongly limited the zoom), nor our shoulders.

But the vAngle from my point of view represents more of an angled seat....

As I said though, it‘s really a matter of taste. There is no wrong or right here. 😀

btw. have you noticed any major changes from 2.56 to 2.7 in those two .lua‘s?

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• 1 month later...

You can probably manage your default "seat postion" and FOV by those settings, but I dont know, since I don't use VR.

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2021 at 5:22 PM, firmek said:

Hi Guys.

I've updated both snapviews and server.lua ...

Hi @firmek

Thanks for this useful customization, I use it everyday on my DCS 🙏

When you get the chance, can you please update it to include the Mi-24P ?   I've tried to edit it myself, but the Hind uses a different approach than the other aircrafts and have not been able to make it work. The default Mi-24 movement allows too much movement from back to front, allowing the head to be placed behind the seat 😪

Best regards,

Eduardo

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

+1

I also struggle with the Mi-24. The default FOV is way too much zoomed out for my taste, but I'm unable to make it work. Unlike all the other modules.

Edit: Funny enough, make changes in the config view in the main game folder for the module doesn't seem to work either.

Edited by Hiob

I dint get Mi-24 yet so I cant add its view settings as I don't have necessary files. I'm not passing it but just don't have time now. Sorry 😞

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

1 hour ago, firmek said:

I dint get Mi-24 yet so I cant add its view settings as I don't have necessary files. I'm not passing it but just don't have time now. Sorry 😞

Dont worry, I fully understand that time is sometimes in short supply .. wish you the best, and in the meantime I will keep tinkering with the Mi-24 view.lua ... hopefully I will get it right soon. 👍

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

@firmek

Agreed!

Focus on more important things than DCS (heard there are a few…😄)

Perhaps you can give us some hints on where to look sometimes.

Edited by Hiob

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2013 at 8:47 PM, PeterP said:

Step1

Copy

Server.lua and View.lua

into

The "View" folder in the installation path of dcs world 1.2.4

Example: H:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\View

Step2

And than copy the 'Config' folder that contains the SnapViews.lua into your 'saved games' -DCS path

Example path: C:\Users\>YOUR USERNAME<\Saved Games\DCS\

I am new to this thread. I downloaded Proper Neck for DCS World 1.2.6 - 1.2b

In it are:

All planes-modules-test 1.2.6.miz

Instructions.URL (which gives a 404 error)

Server.lua

SnapViews.lua

There is no 'View folder' as in your instructions above. I just wanted to be sure i understood so I am reading this whole thread, but you may have updated things.

The location 'Example: H:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\View'  has the default Server.lua and View.lua files. I guess these do not need to be modified any more?

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

1 hour ago, skypickle said:

I am new to this thread. I downloaded Proper Neck for DCS World 1.2.6 - 1.2b

In it are:

All planes-modules-test 1.2.6.miz

Instructions.URL (which gives a 404 error)

Server.lua

SnapViews.lua

There is no 'View folder' as in your instructions above...

Hello,

this is a pretty old thread, dating back to 2012. PeterP is not maintaining his Mod any longer, but the user @firmek has kindly edited files that are as good as the originals and updated to the current DCS version, so I suggest that you use his:

The View folder is created automatically on your Saved Games/dcs/ folder once you have updated your views or snapviews at least once within dcs, just press Right Alt + Num 0 and DCS  should create the folder.

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

What he said. ☝️

Once you looked a little bit into those two files, it will become clear what to do and how to manipulate them.

The server.lua is more for general settings, like maximum movement boundaries, shoulder snd neck size values. 

The views.lua is for the head-postion per aircraft.

Mi-24 and Mossie added 😄

Default FOV updated to 90 for all modules in SnapViews.lua, together with respective max FOV in Server.lua.

Change it to your preference.

Server.lua SnapViews.lua

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, firmek said:

Mi-24 and Mossie added

thanks a lot, really appreciated 👍

perhaps you should share this on a new thread, so that you can always keep updated the 1st post, unlike what happens here ... it would be easier for new users. Maybe we could then ask a moderator to lock this thread.

best regards

• Like 1

thanks a lot, really appreciated 

perhaps you should share this on a new thread, so that you can always keep updated the 1st post, unlike what happens here ... it would be easier for new users. Maybe we could then ask a moderator to lock this thread.

best regards
I second that idea.
Lock thread with link in a last post to new thread.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, firmek said:

Mi-24 and Mossie added 😄

Default FOV updated to 90 for all modules in SnapViews.

Thanks a lot!

90 is still to much imho(!), but a step in the right direction! 🤗

On 9/27/2021 at 11:01 AM, Hiob said:

Thanks a lot!

90 is still to much imho(!), but a step in the right direction! 🤗

It takes literally less than 2 minutes to change default, min and max FOV values according to personal preference 🙂
Setting up preferred view settings is actually
the purpose for which those files are intended to be used for.
Unless you're really fine with someone else view settings (in this case mine 😉 ), this mod should be considered as easy to use, file based view configuration rather than a drag-and-drop solution🙂

As for starting a new threat, I may consider it in a free moment. The issue is that I have already way much more planes in DCS than I have time to fly and get really to know as much I would like to. To be honest besides Apache and maybe Eurofighter I'm not planning to buy more. Well unless ED or Heatblur makes Tornado 😄. Specifically that means I'll almost certainly not provide updates for even such anticipated modules like F-15E. I'm just not interested in it at all.  I'm sorry to say but I'll be able to provide updates for less planes than I used to be in the past.

Anyway, as mentioned editing those files is super easy and adding a new module does not require a great skill. If there is anyone that knows how to include view settings for new module in those files and does it anyway for himself after buying a module, just publish the files in this thread 🙂

The best solution would be ED building-in the view settings into DCS, making them accessible in options UI.

Edited by firmek
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, firmek said:

It takes literally less than 2 minutes to change default, min and max FOV values according to personal preference 🙂
Setting up preferred view settings is actually
the purpose for which those files are intended to be used for.

That was meant as a friendly tease.

Look a few posts above. I already gave you credit, for what I learned from tinkering with your files. 😉

Keep up the good work! 👍

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

Just discovered this mod and I love it, works perfectly! but, FOV 100 is to much zoom for me (on the F14 for example) but when I edit the value on Snapviews, nothing change on the game. Tried several times and differents planes with no luck. I´m using facetracknoIr btw. Any idea what can be the cause?

Thanks !

• Like 1

M2000 | Mig-21 | Mig-15 | F-14 | UH-1H HUEY | A-10C II | MB-339A | A-4E-C | F-18 | F-86 | KA-50 | F-16 |AH-64D| NTTR | PG |

AMD RYZEN 5 2400G 3.9GHz + RX 580 8GB OC + 32Gb + 1TB SSD

13 minutes ago, Pinola said:

Hello Guys,

Just discovered this mod and I love it, works perfectly! but, FOV 100 is to much zoom for me (on the F14 for example) but when I edit the value on Snapviews, nothing change on the game. Tried several times and differents planes with no luck. I´m using facetracknoIr btw. Any idea what can be the cause?

Thanks !

You need to check the min and max zoom settings, that are set in the server.lua.

Take a tool like notepad++ and take look at the .lua's.

It's pretty self-explanatory. You can then set a default zoom setting per aircraft (per cockpit seat in fact).

On 10/21/2021 at 10:44 AM, Hiob said:

You need to check the min and max zoom settings, that are set in the server.lua.

Take a tool like notepad++ and take look at the .lua's.

It's pretty self-explanatory. You can then set a default zoom setting per aircraft (per cockpit seat in fact).

Thanks Hiob, it worked perfectly!

M2000 | Mig-21 | Mig-15 | F-14 | UH-1H HUEY | A-10C II | MB-339A | A-4E-C | F-18 | F-86 | KA-50 | F-16 |AH-64D| NTTR | PG |

AMD RYZEN 5 2400G 3.9GHz + RX 580 8GB OC + 32Gb + 1TB SSD