Reworked Cockpit Views with proper Neck

34 minutes ago, Pinola said:

Thanks Hiob, it worked perfectly!

You‘re welcome!

But all props go to @firmek, because he keeps those files updated and I‘m just passing through, what I learned from his efforts.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Does it work in VR? Or is this mod appropriate for VR flyer?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

It is not a mod per se.

It is just a manual tuned .lua file (or two), which makes it easier to fine tune and sync your view settings.

You can set values for the default vr head position, too. Just take a look at the snapview.lua with a proper editor (notepad++).

It is really not hard.

tldr: Yes! 😅

• Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Let me first say I have used this for a long time.  It has always been very helpful and worked great.  Thank you for your continued hard work keeping it updated.  Since the last update I have had a problem with the FOV between two aircraft of the same type.  The P-51D and the P-51D-30-NA.  The FOV for the P-51D is correct, that is the way I want it to be.  But the FOV in the P-51D-30-NA is to far back from the instrument panel.  I think I have all the setting in SnapViews.lua and Server.lua the same for both planes.  Also I am using TrackIR.  The two files I attached are instant action, free flight selections.  I know I probably missed something or am doing something wrong.  Thank you very much for your help.

johnjar   johnsonjar28@yahoo.com

Correct.png

Wrong.png

• Thanks 1

Any settings recommended for Quest2 user?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

1 hour ago, johnjar said:

Let me first say I have used this for a long time.  It has always been very helpful and worked great.  Thank you for your continued hard work keeping it updated.  Since the last update I have had a problem with the FOV between two aircraft of the same type.  The P-51D and the P-51D-30-NA.  The FOV for the P-51D is correct, that is the way I want it to be.  But the FOV in the P-51D-30-NA is to far back from the instrument panel.  I think I have all the setting in SnapViews.lua and Server.lua the same for both planes.  Also I am using TrackIR.  The two files I attached are instant action, free flight selections.  I know I probably missed something or am doing something wrong.  Thank you very much for your help.

johnjar   johnsonjar28@yahoo.com

Correct.png

Wrong.png

I think you have different fovs set (field of view = zoom). Check with ctrl+scroll (2x)

Or check this line in the snapview.lua:

[13] = {--default view
        viewAngle        = 95.000000,--FOV (for both)

(95 is just a random default value, just make sure, they're all the same)

Edited by Hiob

50 minutes ago, VFGiPJP said:

Any settings recommended for Quest2 user?

No.

Enter your favored cockpit and set the view with r_ctrl+shift+numpad and save it with r_ctrl+Num0.

The values are saved in savegames/dcs(open-beta)/config/view/snapview.lua in a line, that looks like this:

[14] = {--default view - VR

You can fine tune the values there if you want.

to find the right head position, look down into your crotch and have your eyes about in line with the front edge of your seat and centered with the seat. Adjust height to your liking. That is of course just a suggestion. It's a matter of taste - therefore it is hard to recommend certain values. Also ->  it depends on each module!

If you ask for a certain module, I can try to recommend you some values...

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, johnjar said:

... Since the last update I have had a problem with the FOV between two aircraft of the same type.  The P-51D and the P-51D-30-NA.  The FOV for the P-51D is correct, that is the way I want it to be.  But the FOV in the P-51D-30-NA is to far back from the instrument panel.  ...

Hello Johnjar. Good find. Settings for 30-NA variant have been missing at all and there was a syntax problem with the TF variant. In I have to admit that I'm more of the Jug and Spit guy so I don't fly the Mustang and that's why I didn't notice the problem.

Updated Server.lua with fixes for Mustangs attached. No change in the "SnapViews.lua" is required.

Server.lua

• Thanks 1

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I just played around a bit with F-14A/B, F-15C and F/A-18C and I find, in general, "zooming out" a bit helps with the SA. Big thanks.

I wish to know if I should back up the 2 LUA files or not in case of update.

8 minutes ago, VFGiPJP said:

I wish to know if I should back up the 2 LUA files or not in case of update.

No, as those two files go onto /Saved Games/ they are not touched by the DCS updater (which only meddles with the /Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/ path)

However, if you later edit these two files to suit your preferences, and then @firmek releases an update, you should save his files somewhere else, and then copy just the lines corresponding to the aircrafts that he has added or modified .. use a decent text editor, like Notepad++

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thank you very much for your prompt attention to this problem.  I have not tried it yet, but I am sure it will work now.  I also like the Jug and the Spit.  I have a mission that forces you to start with the P-51 NA version.  Then you can choose another plane.  The FOV problem continued to any plane you selected.  Here is a link to that mission.

It has many options you can select and I enjoy flying it.  Thanks again !

I am adjusting FOV with line [13]--FOV in the SpapViews.lua file.  I do not see any changes in the cockpit.  The only way I have been able to adjust it is in the Server.lua file.  By changing the upper limit in line 7, gCameraViewAngleLimits.  I do not think this is the way to do it because I think it changes every aircraft.  Also, I am still adjusting the P-51 and I can not get it to work on either version.  Thanks again!

2 hours ago, johnjar said:

I am adjusting FOV with line [13]--FOV in the SpapViews.lua file.  I do not see any changes in the cockpit.  The only way I have been able to adjust it is in the Server.lua file.  By changing the upper limit in line 7, gCameraViewAngleLimits.  I do not think this is the way to do it because I think it changes every aircraft.  Also, I am still adjusting the P-51 and I can not get it to work on either version.  Thanks again!

Sorry, the fov does not apply for vr here, missed that. @firmek can help you with that perhaps.

The head position adjustment should work, though.

• Like 1

Hi, which values you're trying to set as a FOV?

The viewAngle setting in SnapViews.lua is responsible for the default FOV. 
Default FOV can be assigned individually to each plane (viewAngle setting at index [13]) though I had on purpose set all modules to the same value as this is the sole reason why I'm manually editing this configuration.

[13] = {--default view
		viewAngle		= 90.000000,--FOV
		hAngle			= 0.000000,
		vAngle			= 0.000000,
		x_trans			= 0.360000,
		y_trans			= -0.041337,
		z_trans			= 0.000000,
		rollAngle		= 0.000000,
		cockpit_version	= 0,
	},

The gCameraViewAngleLimits in Server.lua are used to set min FOV and max FOV values - in other words they control the "zoom".
Those settings are applied globally to every single plane (at lest to those listed in the file).

local gCameraViewAngleLimits    = {20.000000, 90.000000}                -- Field of view, zoom min and max. consider setting it so that min + (max-min)/2 = default viewAngle (index 13) from snap views. This will result in the default zoom being located in the midle position of the zoom slider, for instance on the TM W . Note that Mi-8 is an exception from this rule as it uses a "Max FOV adjustment" from "Special" to override the max value. Setting max value to default FOV - viewAngle from SnapViews will remove the zoom-out effect at cokpit enter.

In simple words, if you would like to change the default FOV, make sure the min/max FOV are also correct: minFOV <= defaultFOV <= maxFOV and adjust them if needed.
Just check if you're not trying to set a highver value for default FOV then the max, i.e: default FOV = 110, maxFOV = 90.

There are a number of options possible. Just as an example

- SnapViews.lua defaultFOV = 90; Server.lua minFOV = 20, maxFOV = 90: its only possible to zoom in and full zoom out = default FOV

- SnapViews.lua defaultFOV = 90; Server.lua minFOV = 20, maxFOV = 160: default FOV is exactly in center between min and max, so the zoom out/in have the same distance. Perfect for the grey slider in TM Warthog throttle as it has a detend in the middle.

EDIT:
DCS had an option that allowed missions to override personal setting in those files. It happens with some training missions. Not with all but still some have this issue. Another example is BlueFlag.
To check it, just extract the mission file ("miz" is just a "zip") and check if there are is no Server.lua inside. If yes, your personal settings are not going to work.

I check the mission you've attached and it should not override user settings.

Edited by firmek
  • Like 3

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Hi Firmek.  Thank you for taking time to write me a detailed reply. I read through it and I know I'm going to have to adjust the values before I fully understand it.  I was trying to adjust the FOV in SnapViews.lua and the min/max in Server.lua.  I have not had time to try again.  I did not know or understand the exact relationship between these values.

Oh, and thanks for going the extra mile, for  the DCS option.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, johnjar said:

I was trying to adjust the FOV in SnapViews.lua and the min/max in Server.lua.  <...>  I did not know or understand the exact relationship between these values.

Generally speaking, the FOV is the Zoom-Level of your view. Most players probably have bound "zoom in (slow)" and "zoom out (slow)" somewhere to their Hotas, because the first helps with spotting adversaries and the latter gives a better peripheral view and overview over the cockpit. Note, though, from a "realistic" approach, it's not (obviously) realistic... (stupid sentence 😅). You can move your head forward or lean in with your trackir to focus your view, but zooming is just a "cheat" to help compensate for the shortcomings of desktop pilots.

The game gives players/gamemasters the option to limit the maximum and minimum field of view (fov). This is done in the server.lua, as firmek described. Personally, I like to limit those strongly for the above mentioned reasons, but that is of course a matter of taste (I have a very large monitor - that helps).

Now comes the "default" fov/zoom per aircraft. Those can be set individually for each in the snapview.lua. The default value must be inside the range of min and max of course. A bigger or smaller value will not break the game but will most likely not work. Values between 60 and 120 are quite common. I tend to smaller values, a lot of people (as seen on youtube) like triple digits. Again - a matter of taste.

In theory, you can calculate a "realistic" value, that depends on the width of your screen and the distance you're sitting from it - but that's not necessarily a useful value.

Edit: btw. zoom works kind of like a tele lens on a camera and it will give you geometric distortions when zoom out to far (bending cockpit bows when looking sideways e.g.) which is a hint, that you overdone it....

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Hello guys, 

what are the install path for DCS Open Beta ?

Simulatori: DCS A-10C II Warthog - DCS F/A-18C Hornet - DCS F-16C - VRS F/A-18E - 
HOTAS: TM Warthog - Cougar \ HP Reverb G2 \ WinWing Panels

Tally: I see the degenerate commie who wants to ruin our day.

from the top of my head:

...\savegames\DCS_openbeta\config\view\server.lua + snapview.lua

those files are there by default - so you know, that you are at the right place. Just replace them.

Edited by Hiob

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

from the top of my head:

...\savegames\DCS_openbeta\config\view\server.lua + snapview.lua

those files are there by default - so you know, that you are at the right place. Just replace them.

thanks, I will try 😉

Simulatori: DCS A-10C II Warthog - DCS F/A-18C Hornet - DCS F-16C - VRS F/A-18E - 
HOTAS: TM Warthog - Cougar \ HP Reverb G2 \ WinWing Panels

Tally: I see the degenerate commie who wants to ruin our day.

• 4 months later...

When you save a snapview in game (allow user snapviews in the game options) with Ralt+Num0, an entry for the apache is created. From there you can hand edit the values if you like.

• 1 month later...

Will you be adding the AH-64D? Is it even needed?

I copied the AH-64D lines from the original SnapViews.lua and pasted them into your version of SnapViews.lua.

I did not find any lines for the AH-64D in the Server.lua.

Please, let me know what you think.

Thanks for helping!

• 3 months later...

If you look carefully at the 5:05 part of the video you will notice that @SUNTSAGANCIENT GAMER is using a personalized version of the Server.lua edit that Peter P first provided in October 2012 and then updated by @firmek many years later.

Video NOTES: 

• Watch the video and enjoy
  • I am currently Plaiying with local gEyePoint  = {0.05, 0.08, 0.00}   vs  {0.08, 0.10, 0.00}   etc..  and testing a server.lua entry for the little Polikarpov I-16. 🤣

Cheers.

Edited by YSIAD_RIP
  • Like 2
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]