problems with proboolean in polygons

peyvolt

You could try deleting the faces and re-creating them manually, it sometimes works for me.

I am also having the same trouble with smoothing on a Afgan building i'm making.

attachment.php?attachmentid=72434&stc=1&d=1351190815

can any 3d studio max wizards help us out?

347717718_whydosomeedgeslooksquare.jpg.b250448f1aeeefaa9507fed0d0cf21fa.jpg

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

Right now it looks like either the 3d geometry of the baseplate physically changed to create an unsmooth surface, or the proboolean isn't doing a very good job. Try using edit triangulation or adding edges to form a more logical shape.

Jib, are they in the same smoothing group as the rest of the shape?

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

yes i can help. try to clean the mesh after applying the proboolean. you can do this by removing unnecessary vertices and after you do that connect the remaining to create polygons with 4 edges or 5 edges at max..to do this you need to convert it again to "editable poly" after you apply the proboolean.

another thing i do is to detach the polys around the area where you want to apply the proboolean and after that i clean the boolean polys and atach them again to the initial piece. this way you avoid the general shape deformation having the deformation only on a small part of it(so it won't be so visible). of course this means you have to apply the proboolean piece by piece.

• Like 1

It looks like smoothing groups issues. The outer polys of that airbrack must be in diferent smoothing groups than holes polys.

If this is already done, than rightclick on your object and go to "object properties" and uncheck "show edges only".

Than, inside "edit poly"/edges check "turn" and start picking this problematic edges. They will change vertices and smoothing apearence with neighbor polys will change also.

Windows 7 Professional x64, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB,

Intel Xeon W5650(i7) @ 4.1ghz, Asus P6TWS motherboard, 24gb DDR3, 500GB SSD.

Hybrid joystick(Base: Saitek X55 - Grip:CH Fighterstick), Saitek X55 throttle, Saitek ruder pedals.

I found a good tutorial on smomthing groups

I found a good video tutorial on smoothing groups.

Edited by jib
spelling

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

yes i can help. try to clean the mesh after applying the proboolean. you can do this by removing unnecessary vertices and after you do that connect the remaining to create polygons with 4 edges or 5 edges at max..to do this you need to convert it again to "editable poly" after you apply the proboolean.

another thing i do is to detach the polys around the area where you want to apply the proboolean and after that i clean the boolean polys and atach them again to the initial piece. this way you avoid the general shape deformation having the deformation only on a small part of it(so it won't be so visible). of course this means you have to apply the proboolean piece by piece.

This sound like a good technique, I wish I had heard about it earlier before using boolean to put cracks into my walls and messed up all my verts

Thanks

Edited by jib

I´m creating mirage f1 airbrack, when I use proobolean or bollean I have problems with polygons and smooth, here there are, any ideas?

Yeah in my experience it can be quite tricky to get a good result with this technique - especially if you are trying to cut multiple things in one go.

I don't know how complex a shape the airbrake panel has aside from the curvature, but you could try making it manually(in a flat profile) and then use "taper" to get the curvature.

JJ

you cant highlight the faces and choose smoothing group manually?

I've had to do this to almost every mesh lately.

Ignore Backface, Highlight a Side, Unify normals, Assign a Smoothing group, or turn smoothing off completely for that set of faces, which ever looks better. do the same for the reverse side. Then for the inside of the holes.

you think smoothing is tough, wait till you get everything set up nicely in max, only to export it and get a scrambled mess of polygons because ED's engine doesnt like the Meshes Transforms, lol.. its a Pain!

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 2 weeks later...

You can choose the faces and apply a smooth modifier.

One more thing what I do is built a model that is 1:200 the scale of the original size and when the whole model si complete just resize it to actual size. Functions like chamfer, boolean and many many other stuff work great that way.

Large. What I do is when I'm making the model I make the planes the size of blue-prints that I'm using and don't resize it until I'm done. That way you can do all the editing the way you like forgetting about the minimum possible limits of max and the added advantage is you can zoom it as much as you like.

Like I'm making a model it LAV-AD which is some 1.5Km in length and equilent other dimensions. Once I'm dome modeling I will make a reference box and resize it to the actual size and done.

Edited by combatace

Moving the vertex will fix the problem,, move 1 vertex at the location where the problem located (find the correct axis) then render.. had this issue before and moving vertex always fixed for me.. if this dosnt work then u have double vertex at the same location with different Z value

Specs: 13900k @ 5.5Ghz, 64GB @ 3600Mhz, 3080Ti.

i tend to over sample, make so many triangles, and position them so a boolean cut doesnt contain any vertices, just faces and edges.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs