Creating a Multiplayer Server

charmande

Hello guys I've been trying to create a multiplayer server for DCS and have had no luck. Whenever I create one my friends can not see it in the browser. The only way I've gotten it to work is if we're running Hamachi then my friends can join using Hamachi but only using the LAN option. I would like to have it broadcast over the net so I can create large scale games for anybody to join. I've port forwarded the port 10308 and 10309 to ensure they are open. I've searched the forums and haven't found anything that helped so far. I may have overlooked something and am turning to the community for help. Do I need any special mods? Or if there a good guide for creating a server/etc or is this a known issue with the game? Thanks in advance for any advice. My computer specs are ...

CPU: Intel i7 3770k

Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe

RAM: 16 GB DDR3

HDD: 2x128GB Samsung 830s in Raid 0 + 1 TB WD HDD for storage

Video: ATI Radeon 5870

Joystick: Logitech Extreme 3D pro (kinda weak yes I know >_> lol)

Charmande... suffice to say this is an issue that has affected many of us who have tried to run large scale games. c0ff was in another thread with a guy who was able to join the master server list and provide almost instant dcs log files when the server disappeared from the list. By c0ff's words to the effect "now I can see where the problem is- hopefully I can get it fixed soon."

That was a little bit ago but suffice to say the guy who needs to know the problem is aware of it. So many people have tried so many things- but while there are work arounds, each has its own compromise.

A couple of pointers for you, speaking from experience:

The guys can join simply by direct IP- but only if the server is in LAN mode.

If you put it in the public server, it may be visible for a short time (or possibly a long time)... but there seems to be no direct connection to how long that time is. If guys try to join via direct connect once the server drops offline on the master- they won't connect.

Some guys have tried alternate ports and changing those altogether (10300 for example). I tried this and still had no luck- but maybe you could try it.

Also are you able to run the server on its own without playing on it or are you just planning on running a server while you're gaming on it.

As mentioned in other threads- you'll need about 1 Mbps (edited- thanks loki) of upload bandwidth per 4 players (up to as many as 8 are mentioned but at the expense of increased hesitation / jitters).

There are some additional things to consider if you're running a "dedicated" server (not hosting a "local" player). This includes turning off 3D rendering and limiting max FPS in the .lua files (graphics).

Edited by ENO

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

As mentioned in other threads- you'll need about 1 gig of upload bandwidth per 4 players (up to as many as 8 are mentioned but at the expense of increased hesitation / jitters).

I think you meant 1mbps up for 4 people?

Thanks for the help Eno. I was planning on running the server and playing on it. While doing the Hamachi work around I was able to play just fine while hosting a match with 7 other friends no issues. Once they fix the issue maybe I can host a large scale map and have my Alienware computer as the server. Hopefully they'll get around to working out the bugs in that I would love to see more servers up and our community grow.